Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I do like that ad where the Olympians are giants, one problem I have with it is the cyclist going across Benbulben, does he fall off and hurt himself when he reaches the edge, how did he build up so much momentum when it's tiny compared to him and the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The irony being, they are pushing the message of being "creative" when RTE as a company are the polar opposite of the word.

Yeah that’s what annoys me about the ad, perhaps RTÉ could be creative at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Funding Circle ad with the baby singing the Alice Cooper song. There's a real uncanny valley vibe off that CGI baby that is just creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Rothko wrote: »
    The Funding Circle ad with the baby singing the Alice Cooper song. There's a real uncanny valley vibe off that CGI baby that is just creepy.

Did they learn anything from that horrible Evian ad from a few years back, the one with the ultra creepy rollerskating babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He did say that he was moving to Australia but he continues to grace us with his presence on RTE.

Attention seeking. Threatening to leave so we'd appreciate him more.

It'd be nice if he fecked off though. He's a terrible, terrible dose.

And it would be brilliant if he took his sister with him

Didn't D'Arcy say that he would emigrate if Enda Kenny won the 2011 election?

We're still waiting, Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Acosta wrote: »
    That Virgin Media ad with the girl. At the start she has an English accent, because ehh, she's English. For some reason they stick in a dubbed Irish accent at the end. Silly stuff

I find everything about that ad very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The woman comes into her house at night and starts sneering at the camera about how she has her own house now, no parents or housemates, therefore she can make as much noise as she likes; throughout the ad she clomps in across the hardwood floor in her big high heel boots, smacks her massive bag down as noisily as possible and turns the hi-fi up as loud as it can go to put on some crap music.
    You may live alone but have a little consideration for your poor neighbours you selfish cowbag: she has a party wall, so she's either in a terrace house or semi-d.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

"We made muchos, all naight long". Just make it stop. Also, the KBC ad, the part where the young lad scurries into the bathroom, what irks me is the way the dad then knocks on the bathroom door with his index finger, his hand looks extremely limp, why cant he just use the full force of his fist like everyone else needing to use the jacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

"We made muchos, all naight long". Just make it stop.

I was thinking the same thing not 5 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

"We made muchos, all naight long". Just make it stop. Also, the KBC ad, the part where the young lad scurries into the bathroom, what irks me is the way the dad then knocks on the bathroom door with his index finger, his hand looks extremely limp, why cant he just use the full force of his fist like everyone else needing to use the jacks?
    And call him a little b ollix like we were called when we did that

• Advertisement

That annoys the hell out of me too. Who knocks a door with the tip of their finger like?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

How many times can the '3' Arranmore Islands ad be on Virgin Media, I swear to god EVERY single ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

That annoys the hell out of me too. Who knocks a door with the tip of their finger like?

The way the girl taps her headphones after putting them on drives me nuts! Lots of annoying things in that ad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RTE keep showing that ad for that radio documentary about the tube murderer i mean in this current downbeat climate :( ffs!! people are depressed enough as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fryup wrote: »
    RTE keep showing that ad for that radio documentary about the tube murderer i mean in this current downbeat climate :( ffs!! people are depressed enough as it is

Rte going into podcasts when they can't even get the RTE player right is kind of ridiculous.

And, as you said-yeah, the content is depressing as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How many times can the '3' Arranmore Islands ad be on Virgin Media, I swear to god EVERY single ad break.

I shout at the screen every time to ask them nicely to provide a decent service in the heart of south Dublin before they go travelling to remote islands off Donegal.

The way the girl taps her headphones after putting them on drives me nuts! Lots of annoying things in that ad
    I never noticed that, now I have yet another reason to hate that ad.
    I wouldn't want to live next door to them, noisy feckers, the ma and da seem unlikeable for some reason and the kids seem like spoilt brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Some stupid radio ad where this woman says her mam met her dad at skewel during detention, bloody stupid accent and American phrases. When your ould lad and ould wan we’re in school they were kept in, ya numpty.

I saw one the other day, I don't know wtf it was for but it's a load of women standing in a group all staring like psychos at the camera. The voice over is going on about women taking over the planet. Then at the end they all stamp one foot down in unison :confused:

It brought to mind-

Dads Army
    I Robot
    The Nuremberg Rallies
    The Stepford Wives
    The Terracotta Army

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And call him a little b ollix like we were called when we did that

That would make the ad a lot better! :D

I can't stand it, as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That ad about the London tube Irish serial killer.
    God I can't stand its tone.
    Surely many of the relatives of his victims are still are around and it comes across as insensitive and ghoulish

yeah thought the same myself, its in really bad taste by RTE. The voice over goes 'the next station is Kennington, this is the last stop. Alight here for strangulation and mutilation'.

FFS the guy murdered more than 20 people, show some decorum to his many victims and their families. I dont think they want reminding how their loved ones met a gruesome death. Its a really low thing to so just to sensationalise a podcast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah thought the same myself, its in really bad taste by RTE. The voice over goes 'the next station is Kennington, this is the last stop. Alight here for strangulation and mutilation'.

FFS the guy murdered more than 20 people, show some decorum to his many victims and their families. I dont think they want reminding how their loved ones met a gruesome death. Its a really low thing to so just to sensationalise a podcast.

Agreed. It's a horrible and disrespectful way to describe real life events. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, the first time I heard it.

RTE's ad for advertising on RTE. The fellow in it is such a Smug Simon.

Acosta wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing not 5 minutes ago.

That and the obviously TGBF='Token Gay Best Friend' with his 'MUCHOS?!' line.

Surprised the woke crew didn't come after that for 'cultural appropriation'.with yer wan putting on an accent.

Also, 'every' Irish advert has to reference 'Copper's' atm. A while back, it was...Lily's, I think.

There's always the 'this is a cultural landmark' crap that goes on in Irish media (be it supposed stand up material, or advertising, or TV shows).
    Then the place goes broke, and suddenly 'ummm...no, THIS is the cultural landmark'.

Repeat, ad nauseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

That bloody advert for Canestan where she starts talking about vaginal itching and thrush. she has this look like she's trying to be seductive. Sorry ladies if a guy came on talking about jock itch I bet ye would complain too. Always comes on when I'm eating something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The current Ladbrokes ad, with various people shouting at the screen at a horse they backed.

The fella at the end is particularly annoying. He probably only has a couple of quid on the horse anyway the eejit.

Seamai wrote: »
    That bloody advert for Canestan where she starts talking about vaginal itching and thrush. she has this look like she's trying to be seductive. Sorry ladies if a guy came on talking about jock itch I bet ye would complain too. Always comes on when I'm eating something.

I know the feeling. A few months back, NAdia Forde had a 'program' about parenting on the RTE player. Every morning I was sitting down to eat my cereal, RTE would show the advert for it with Forde saying 'I'm walking around, right now, with a bag of poo'...

Christ, how can you eat a breakfast with that (literal) sh** on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have been watching Frasier on Channel 4 every morning recently. The present sponsor is confused.com, and they feature a Mercedes being driven by a vaguely familiar looking actor who smiles a lot to an applause soundtrack.

Can anyone tell me who he is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I now see it may be a fellow called Timothy Murphy, but I still have no idea what the point is.

I preferred that silly women trying to eat toast with her space helmet on.

• Advertisement

That and the obviously TGBF='Token Gay Best Friend' with his 'MUCHOS?!' line.

Surprised the woke crew didn't come after that for 'cultural appropriation'.with yer wan putting on an accent.

Also, 'every' Irish advert has to reference 'Copper's' atm. A while back, it was...Lily's, I think.

There's always the 'this is a cultural landmark' crap that goes on in Irish media (be it supposed stand up material, or advertising, or TV shows).
    Then the place goes broke, and suddenly 'ummm...no, THIS is the cultural landmark'.

Repeat, ad nauseum.

Agree on the cultural landmark crutch. Whether it’s tayto, red lemonade or coppers, they just get done to death

Advertisement