Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

Ger Roe wrote: »

They also conveniently (for them) give the impression that limescale is a much more common and widespread problem, than it actually is, in this country.

Well, go west where the water is hard. Where I am a kettle lasts 2 years max because of limescale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Squirtel

Originally Posted by TomTomTim View Post
    The Vodafone space ad is driving me mad like no other. I thought that their previous add with the kids singing was hell, but they've outdone themselves. I just flicked through a few channels and it was on on two different channels within about a minute of each other.
    Her voice really irritatesssssssssssss me, something about the way she pronounces her ssssssssssssss.

The vodafone ads are really beyond a joke. In one ad break it was on 3 times!
    Under no circumstances can they show a White Male having any interest in a sciency subject, in fact you can't show a White Male anywhere significantly in the ad!
    Now they have the update with the Boy in a rainbow jumper dancing all around. How progressive of them!
    There's nothing wrong with showing Women/Girls interested in Science, and nothing wrong with Men/Boys being dancers, but the artificial ridiculous obvious wokedness of these ads is pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

spookwoman wrote: »
    Reminds me another ad where the song (What's Going On By The 4 Non Blondes) massacred . Can't remember what it was for but had different people singing lines.
    I remember now, it's Boss.

<puts on pendantic hat> the song is actually called Whats Up <takes off pendantic hat>

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If only Vodafone spend a small percentage of their ad budget on a service that runs better. The space ad looks like it belongs to a kitsch promo for Moonraker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well, go west where the water is hard. Where I am a kettle lasts 2 years max because of limescale.

12 months to two years, if you're lucky.

I know folks who buy the big gallon drums of water (tap water in some places is just abominable) who get longer out of their kettles.

Helps to use descaler ever couple of months, but as you said, 2 years is max you'll have a kettle for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

CoBo55 wrote: »
    No no, she’s on the phone to her poor demented partner gushing about this hacienda, probably the fourth one that week:mad: It’s a dreadful ad.

Its the aspirational nature of that ad that annoys me. Its clearly aimed at first time buyers but what FTB can afford to buy a red brick house with a garden in a leafy suburb in which they are currently renting, very few I would say without a six figure sum from their parents. If the ad was any way realistic it would show her jogging around the outskirts of Longford town and spotting a shoebox apartment and cursing that she cant own a dog or do any gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,599 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

there are several alternatives to ESB , SSE , Energia and Pinergy are all on the market as alternatives SSE run 3 or 4 power stations around the country

they used to own the full market once which would ask the question you are asking as to why did they run adverts in the past

ESB is the electrical network only, Electric Ireland is the energy provider that ESB once was. The ad makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ger Roe wrote: »
    They also conveniently (for them) give the impression that limescale is a much more common and widespread problem, than it actually is, in this country.

But still ' Washing machines live longer'.... apparently :rolleyes:

Its a pretty big problem where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Muahahaha wrote: »
    what FTB can afford to buy a red brick house with a garden in a leafy suburb.

At least she'll save some money on a few kettles if she buys in The Pale, so at least she has that going for her.

Tim76 wrote: »
    At least she'll save some money on a few kettles if she buys in The Pale, so at least she has that going for her.

It's just the unreasonable living expenses, annoying neighbours, smell of urine everywhere, and disdain from everyone else in the 31 counties that they'll have to deal with.

Buying kettles every 2 years is a small burden in comparison.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

razorblunt wrote: »
    That Turkish Airlines ad about the socially distant holidays and the kid normalising it all. Very very American.
    This is the most annoying ad I've seen for a long time.

ESB is the electrical network only, Electric Ireland is the energy provider that ESB once was. The ad makes zero sense.

yeah I just dont know what a monopoly like ESB Networks are even doing spending money on TV ads. Like who are they actually advertising at? Their job is to provide the infrastructure not the actual electricity supply, all their customers are other businesses like Energia, Electric Ireland, etc and not regular joe public. So it baffles as to what they're doing spending and wasting money on TV ads, as far as I can see the only reason for it is so they can blow smoke up their own hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I see that stupid monster ad for the Credit Union is back

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What's grinding my gears right now is the number of ads for funeral expenses cover on some of the Sky channels. There's enough doom and gloom around with Covid on every news bulletin without having death thrown at us by the ads as well.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That ad with the goofy chunky ginger dancing around is driving me nuts... Don't ask me what it's for but I hate it with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

That ad with the goofy chunky ginger dancing around is driving me nuts... Don't ask me what it's for but I hate it with a passion.

It’s for Vodafone. Yeah the gay kid dancing. So cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It’s for Vodafone. Yeah the gay kid dancing. So cringe.

He's gay too?? Lord spare us, but who thinks this stuff up?

Why have they dressed him like it’s 1983 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The problem with so many ads nowadays is that they are so focused on being "woke" they actually miss the whole point of the ad in the first which is to advertise the product/company. So many ads now that you watch and afterwards, you might remember the ad, but, not the product/company it was meant to be advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Girly Gal wrote: »
    The problem with so many ads nowadays is that they are so focused on being "woke" they actually miss the whole point of the ad in the first which is to advertise the product/company. So many ads now that you watch and afterwards, you might remember the ad, but, not the product/company it was meant to be advertising.
    Yeah when I complain about an ad on here half the time I can't remember what it's actually for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Yeah when I complain about an ad on here half the time I can't remember what it's actually for.

Saw one on history channel about 30 mins ago and can't remember what it was for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

What's grinding my gears right now is the number of ads for funeral expenses cover on some of the Sky channels. There's enough doom and gloom around with Covid on every news bulletin without having death thrown at us by the ads as well.

Yes and Pure Cremation - the woman is too chirpy and almost laughing about recalling her chat about cremation with her father and telling him what a great plan he’ll get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Think of all the annoying ''We're the best the parish has to offer/GAA is Ireland, Ireland is the GAA'' type ads were not getting from their many sponsors this summer. The pandemic isn't all bad.

Slightly OT on ads we despise but The Ford ad for their car called Puma shows snowboarders flying down an artifical ski slope on top of a building. I thought it must be CGI or something but then I looked it up and it is actually a real building- it is an incinerator that burns waste to make electricity and it opened up last year in Copenhagen. The architects wanted to have a building with a dual function for the public to use. So they created the ski slope on the roof and a hiking trail right up to the top of it where there is a bar. You can also climb up the side of the building on a climbing wall. Those Danes and their clever ideas.

This is it

copenhill.jpeg

More on it here
    https://www.dezeen.com/2019/10/08/big-copenhill-power-plant-ski-slope-copenhagen/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Could you imagine the screeching from the Georgian Society if that was proposed here? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Could you imagine the screeching from the Georgian Society if that was proposed here? :pac:

Well it looks better than that thing in Poolbeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ChunLi

Boop!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Acosta wrote: »
    Think of all the annoying ''We're the best the parish has to offer/GAA is Ireland, Ireland is the GAA'' type ads were not getting from their many sponsors this summer. The pandemic isn't all bad.

The GAA has ads of its own too, as if they needed to advertise.

He's gay too?? Lord spare us, but who thinks this stuff up?

He's dressed in the rainbow vest, aka the gay flag.

I imagine whoever thought it up, thought they were being subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The bank of Ireland rugby ad with some bloke with a put-on American accent extolling the virtues of the four provinces....any chance of a voice over artist with an Irish accent lads???

Advertisement