Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

You have to wonder what they were buying before switching to Aldi. I'm picturing top-of-the-line pasta, "rustic" chips or "hand cooked" crisps out of somewhere like Donnybrook Fair or Fallon & Byrne.

I do most of my shopping in Tesco and much of their stuff can be very cheap. I was in Aldi today and prices were fairly comparable.

Leitrim family must have been shoping in SuperValu - which I find expensive, or they forgot to buy booze in Aldi to make a 400 euro saving.

Also, as much as I support Aldi/Lidl, there are some things I just dont like. Aldi's Brannigans Mayonaisse for 69c a jar is a great deal, except I cant stand the taste. It tastes like wallpaper paste to me. I'm absolutely fine paying 3 euros for Hellmans. If money is that tight, and it has been in the past, I'd just not get any mayo than Aldi own-brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That stupid add for Tesco where the guy dressed as a cowboy is running around shooting prices who passes these as adds for shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That stupid add for Tesco where the guy dressed as a cowboy is running around shooting prices who passes these as adds for shopping.

Yes. 100%

Belongs to the 1980s.

For a big company, they really seem the scrimp on their advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You have to wonder what they were buying before switching to Aldi. I'm picturing top-of-the-line pasta, "rustic" chips or "hand cooked" crisps out of somewhere like Donnybrook Fair or Fallon & Byrne.

Or personal chef who sourced everything from “artisan” producers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Elmo wrote: »
    Fanta is piss. Maybe this is their toilet cleaner flavour.

Fanta is the lowest of the low alright

Awful combination of various artificial flavours and tons of sugar

Used to work with a woman who was addicted to it. 2 big bottles of it per day. Constantly drinking it in office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes. 100%

Belongs to the 1980s.

For a big company, they really seem the scrimp on their advertising.

Saw that for first time today, really awful.

Never mind 80s, reminds me of a US 1950s ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Scotts home early just rolls on and on, year after year after year...

Do you think running an ad campaign non-stop across multiple channels for a decade makes financial sense? Would M&Ms have seen a big enough uptick in sales to justify it? I dont see how its possible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

that eirgrid ad "sending out an SOS" is like nails on a blackboard to me, hate it.
    The original is grand like, but that version, no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I don't mind the cheesy 80's style ad's. They are preferable to the more modern ones which look like bad political campaign ad's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There is an ad telling parents to say no to their chaps who want to eat sweets/treats before dinner.

I despair for our society if that's a thing that needs an advertising campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

There is an ad telling parents to say no to their chaps who want to eat sweets/treats before dinner.

A quick glance at children/people around you will show that sadly its probably justified

that eirgrid ad "sending out an SOS" is like nails on a blackboard to me, hate it.

The original is grand like, but that version, no thanks

Why can't she just sing "bottle"? "Bod-yill" drives me absolutely up the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

I remember around 20 years ago there was an ad campaign featuring Ronan Keating IIRC urging kids to get outside for at least 10 minutes a day, even at the time I thought it was mad that kids had to be reminded to go outside. With the amount of electronic distractions these days, no harm to urge people to get outside and eat healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Those Allianz courage v fear ads annoy me. They clearly decided to get someone who sounded “authentic GAA” to do it, but it sounds so forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Apt8 wrote: »
    I remember around 20 years ago there was an ad campaign featuring Ronan Keating IIRC urging kids to get outside for at least 10 minutes a day, even at the time I thought it was mad that kids had to be reminded to go outside. With the amount of electronic distractions these days, no harm to urge people to get outside and eat healthy.

My missus works in primary education and she says that when a lot of kids start school nowadays they are lacking the basic motor skills to allow them to run properly, catch a ball, do any kind of climbing etc. It is now part of the curriculum (in their school anyway) to teach them basics as the kids mostly lead a sedentary lifestyle these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

fricatus wrote: »
    Those Allianz courage v fear ads annoy me. They clearly decided to get someone who sounded “authentic GAA” to do it, but it sounds so forced.

Its that time of year again so we are about to be blasted with six months worth of GAA sponsors advertising, its become a cliche of itself at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

In one ad a mother tells her son to have cheese on crackers instead of crisps.
    The cheese and crackers would be higher in cals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Why can't she just sing "bottle"? "Bod-yill" drives me absolutely up the wall!

Epic song. Absolutely epic. Ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

The three ad with the father and son is annoying.

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    The three ad with the father and son is annoying.

Three can do anything, anything at all, as long as they don't bring back "No screens at the table!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Yeah, its so full on. The whole thing from the script to the directing is just so infuriatingly cringey "Courage vs Fear", utter puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Blended ‘Irish family’ ads with more ethnic children than Angela Jolie at open adoption day at an UN orphanage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

eir: Bending Dancing Woman

That new ad for Toyota hybrid with the smarmy Liam cumminhham---- ' you'll never take a wrong turn in a Toyota' ....its like something a 5yr old came up with....doesn't work on any level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭donegal_man

James Corden's Weight Watchers or "WW" as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Elmo wrote: »

"Dad, dad! Mams on the yokes again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I get so excited to see that the McCarthy, Murphy and Ryan family are saving €400 a month by moving to Aldi......well done.....well done.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I get so excited to see that the McCarthy, Murphy and Ryan family are saving €400 a month by moving to Aldi......well done.....well done.....

And in fairness they have an even Gayer family in those ads.... bring in the diversity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The new insurance ad. "We're young people..." Absolute shudders.

I can see the ad director - can you say that again, just even smugger than last time. Take 50!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Acosta

The voiceover actor probably had dreams of coming up to the big smoke and showing off his range doing VHI and Virgin Media ads etc. "Sorry Jimmy, we basically need you harness all your culchieness and become this stereotype GAA hard as nails gob****e."

Advertisement