Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The Lidl ads are rancid but we're discussing them so maybe that's successful marketing? Although I don't believe that's the angle they're going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Areas wrote: »
    Saw it during Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 on Friday in the IMC Galway. Everyone at the screening laughed at the end of the Nissan ad. No one understood it.

Please tell me what its about because I still don't get it and our whole screening of Guardians were clapping and laughing like seals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Please tell me what its about because I still don't get it and our whole screening of Guardians were clapping and laughing like seals

It's some sort of female empowerment angle.

It seems to be a theme at the moment. You see it with Orbit/Wrigley's where the girl is taking the penalty, another one where they have girls playing sport "don't you deh" give up, another one for Always Ultra (fair enough I guess) where she's "owning it" onstage, and the standard of them all "its4women".

Anyways, the young lad is being beaten up by bullies on the housing estate so the big strong tough girl, as all females are in marketing and film these days, comes in and saves the day with her brutish strength. The guy needed the girl to save him, in a reverse of the standard Hollywood fare of the damsel in distress.

It's garbage!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^

I just checked the Youtube video again and they have disabled comments and not showing dislikes, lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

silverharp wrote: »
    all kinds of things wrong with this one

Saw this last night before GotG Vol. 2, first thought it was going to be an ad for bullying/mental health, then maybe its4women only for the Nissan logo to pop up at the end. Painful stuff.

Genuinely would love to meet the team who developed and green lit it, because it sure as **** didn't make me want to rush out and buy one to protect my fragile masculinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The most depressing thing about the ad is the old woman who thinks an old Nissan Micra has been going out and buying bread and milk for her...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nissan ad needs a redub with "Whooooooooa Body-form, Body-form for you"

It would actually make more sense.

Saw this last night before GotG Vol. 2, first thought it was going to be an ad for bullying/mental health, then maybe its4women only for the Nissan logo to pop up at the end. Painful stuff.

Genuinely would love to meet the team who developed and green lit it, because it sure as **** didn't make me want to rush out and buy one to protect my fragile masculinity.

I actually read your username as ZeitgestGee.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Mace ads with the nightmareish Emoji heads *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

^^^^
    Those ads have made me actively avoid Mace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Birneybau wrote: »
    The Mace ads with the nightmareish Emoji heads *shudder*

Just came here to post this.

If that big orange head isn't dance-chasing me in my dreams tonight, I'll be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I couldn't put my finger on what the mace ads reminded me of, just copped it's like those freaky aphex twin videos where the faces stay static

maxresdefault.jpg
    Aphex_Twin_-_Come_to_Daddy.png
    image-w448.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cianx

The new Aldi advert for baby food and wipes with the talking teddy bear. They have the bear as a Corkonian with an extremely exaggerated accent, talking about 'awaaaaaard winning straaaaaawberry puuuuuuuree'.

rubadub wrote: »
    I couldn't put my finger on what the mace ads reminded me of, just copped it's like those freaky aphex twin videos where the faces stay static

Nah, the best Aphex Twin video is for "Windowlicker" - if you haven't seen it, I encourage you to do so, it is simply a work of creative genius (all 10+mins of it):

Great work from a Limerick(born) man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The Oral B ad with the patient in the dentist's chair saying
    I didn't even know Oral B made a toothpaste

Yes. You. Did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The ad for Toddlebox.
    Creepy, amateur CGI graphics and pure cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

fussyonion wrote: »
    The ad for Toddlebox.
    Creepy, amateur CGI graphics and pure cringe.

More nightmare fuel! That terrible 90s-style CGI with babies' mouths moving needs to be stopped.

Have no clue what the product is, but the ad is so terrible that out of spite I actually refuse to go to the website and give them the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Oral B ad. The dentist prefers the electric toothbrush to the manual. Well, surprise, surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭LushiousLips

The Lidl add where the couple are shopping and the tight bastard is questioning everything she's putting into the trolley. God I'd love to slap him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Areas wrote: »
    Saw it during Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 on Friday in the IMC Galway. Everyone at the screening laughed at the end of the Nissan ad. No one understood it.

Saw it today initial reactiion was "wtf is this about?!". Secondary reaction being "Oh there's yer man that was in Fair City apparently getting beaten up by a 12 year old"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Oral B ad. The dentist prefers the electric toothbrush to the manual. Well, surprise, surprise.

Oral B really take the mick with these ads.

There was a new one a few weeks ago. Two women on a couch. One has nice teeth and the other has the teeth of a camel. Nice teeth gives her bud some Oral B product to try. Just 3 days later, camel mouth has a set of chops to rival anyone in Hollywood !

Total horsesh!t.

Looks like some ad standards crowd thought the same as it was pulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

It's a radio ad.... but oh how I HATE that new ad for Hailo becoming My Taxi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Lidl add where the couple are shopping and the tight bastard is questioning everything she's putting into the trolley. God I'd love to slap him
    they also say yer man is from Cavan, perpetuating a negative stereotype. There is some other ad with some line about supporting a team "even if its Mayo", no idea what that means but I thought there might be complaints about the Cavan thing.

Not sure if this was posted about that cancer ad a while ago.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0221/854247-asai-cancer-advert/
    The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland has upheld in part complaints against the Irish Cancer Society for its controversial campaign 'I want to get cancer'.

92 complaints were received about the advertising.

According to the ASAI, the common theme running through the complaints was that the wording used was "offensive, insensitive, disrespectful and upsetting to cancer survivors, current sufferers, bereaved families and those who may currently be undergoing tests or waiting on the results of same".

However, the Irish Cancer Society said that cancer is a complex disease, and highly emotive and by promoting such a hard hitting campaign it was trying to inform people more about the disease and encourage them to seek out facts.

In upholding the complaint, the ASAI considered that there was a tolerance in society for charity advertising to be more provocative than commercial advertising, nevertheless, it said "care was needed when addressing such an emotive issue as cancer, particularly when using provocative copy".

The committee noted the level of complaint and the distress that had been caused to complainants.

The advertising campaign started with 'teaser' advertising where the advertisers were not identified and the wording 'I want to get cancer" featured.

The following day, the reveal advertising appeared and the identity of the Irish Cancer Society was revealed.

The ASAI found that while some of the advertising was very clear in explaining the context of the message they found that other vignettes on TV had not been clear as to what the individuals meant by wanting to 'get cancer', and were therefore likely to cause distress to consumers.

Other complaints related to the campaign and the line "By 2020, 1 in 2 of us will be getting cancer in our lifetime" were not upheld by the ASAI.
    It was not "the following day"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

madmaggie wrote: »

I didn't know Oral B made toothbrushes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭FaceTurnedAway

"The clever human chooses energia"! Seriously? I think the folks from 'Mad Men' would find it difficult to comprehend that this is how to manipulate people of the 21st century.

Initially I thought they were like a lame attempt at being manipulative, but given that they're being repeated so often, I feel like I'm being brain washed. Is one actually supposed to think they're stupid if they don't switch. They're obviously hoping that any frequently repeated ultimately gains belief. I think these ads are very brain washing to people who are short attention spanned or impressionable. If I wasn't as cynical as I am, these ads could have won over my subconscious.

At least they've switched from their other ad... about a year or two a go they had this ad where they (as usual) made a male spouse out to be pretty thick, with him taking about 24 hours to comprehend how cheaper is better. One thing I do know, is that these ads must be costing them an absolute fortune. You hear them all over the radio too.

I assume there's some sort of catch - just like there was with Airtricity when I sold for them a few years backs. Make them sign a contract and just up the standing charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

rubadub wrote: »
    There is some other ad with some line about supporting a team "even if its Mayo", no idea what that means but I thought there might be complaints about the Cavan thing.

Probably something to do with Mayo's luck in All-Ireland finals in the last 30 years?

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

It's the time of year again for the GAA championship ad, and this year is as insufferably self-important as last year's - 'a unique bond that can't be bought or broken', 'all that you know to be true' etc etc ad nauseam. It's not exclusive to the championship, RTE do it for the rugby as well but oh fcuk am I ever sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Christ that lad with his sister in the Lidl trolley cam ad makes Francis Brennan come across as tolerable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Does nobody shop in Lidl on their own anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

The one that makes my teeth itch at the moment is for car insurance, Allianz or Axa I think. It actually says "...every day <Insurance Co> helps Irish families to live their lives to the full..."

How brain addled or spaced out does someone have to be to produce this kind of codswallop? And what about the senior managers who give it their seal of approval? It's bloody car insurance!!! One of life's great grudge purchases. From the ad, you'd think it was bottled adrenaline or something...

(Dis)honorable mention to the banks with this "...we're always there for you..." balderdash. Yeah, that's why you don't want people coming into the branches and why a robot answers the phone and insults our intelligence even further by pretending to be human.

Ironic that these "touchy-feely" adverts are made by institutions with the biggest reputations for delivering financial wedgies to customers.

Advertisement