Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭deezell

All stick and no carrot. The refund is added to the price before you buy. I'm trying to get her to stop buying multipacs of 1L bottles of tap water. I keep the same bottle, refill from tap and into the fridge. She drinks two a day, I'm afraid to look what they're costing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Strange ads on daytime TV for cremation services and life insurance plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Others one telling you to leave your money to charities in your will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,050 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's one for reclinable seats where it shows a workman arriving up at a retired punters living room and taking out a measuring tape to measure her for the seat, it looks like he's taking numbers for a nice snug coffin for her 😁.

Of all these Grey baiting ads, the Spry one really bothers me. They look about pension age, mid 60s, they'll drill some hole in the equity of the house by their 80s, and if either need Fair Deal scheme at that point, there may be little or nothing left, with their ageing family left to pick up the slack. A recession in 20 years time also would probably give Spry the entire home if house prices collapsed. The last property bubble taught us that a modest home is only really worth a half million while there's people able and prepared to pay. The value is always an illusion,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Plus a fridge so jam packed does not work efficiently and requires more energy to run.

I remeber back when I had Sky, I think it was on Dave or UKTV Gold, Every second ad was loans for people with bad credit scores followed by adopt a pengiun/bear cub/dolphin or donation to a donkey sanctuary.

I pictured someone sat at home during the day, with bad credit thinking to themself "If I got one of those loans, I could then afford to adopt a pengiun/bear cub/dolphin or donate to a donket sanctuary".

M

I know of at least 2 people who availed of this type of scheme circa 20 years back, at the time they out of thin air blew lots of money on lavish holidays for them and their extended family, flash cars for their children etc etc. Fast forward to their deaths and the kids found out that all this money came at a very high price and their seemingly guaranteed split of the sale proceeds of a €400k house amounted to sweet nothing as the equity in the house was dissolved by the scheme.

Have heard calls to Liveline about it, people trying to plead ignorance of terms and conditions they claim they didnt know when signing up to the schemes, generally the children of the parents who will now get zero when the home is sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

That’s a good result.

Parents enjoying their own money. What’s not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It isn't their own money and the compound interest rates are absolutely shocking. When one or both parents need nursing home care etc and the money is a distant memory it's the children who are left picking up the pieces. Nice being blasé about it I hope it never happens to you.

• Advertisement

Of course it’s their money. They are borrowing against their own asset. The bank will make sure the outstanding amount will never exceed the value of the house.

Talking about nursing home costs is just a distraction.

Children are under no obligation to cover the costs. If they do decide to, it’s on them. Not the parents.

If they decide not to, the state picks up the tab. Same as it does for anyone else without means.

The Bank? Which bank? The Spry bank? They'll limit the cash advances to well below projected future market value, and suck up the remaining equity with interest. You could well max out the cash before death, and have no available equity for fair deal or a bank loan.

Exactly. It's a terrible practice that should be stopped as it's being sold as one thing but in actual fact it's a property grab, plain and simple.

Spry Finance are just a front. The money will be coming from one of the main banks.

And yes. The interest may well roll up and eat up the equity in the house.

That’s a choice the owner makes.

M

But I suppose the other way to look at it is without access to finance for home improvements and the like due to retirement such individuals can find themselves living in relative squaler for their later years. Ideally their children should be stepping in and assisting where required if their expectation is to be eventually acquiring the home upon the parents death.

Easily solved with a transparent credit union or bank loan then everyone knows where they stand, even a small remortgage would be better than one of those spry jobs.

I have first hand experience of this scheme and and what you have written is false.

Add in some unscrupulous lawyers and it's a disaster for some.

Even with fair deal and the old age pension, family will often have to make up the monthly difference of private nursing home fees, but there is some comfort in this as fair deal is limited to 22.5% of the home value, so they can assist as long as they know there will be equity in the will, and as long as the will doesn't leave the house to a single sibling, as the others will not want to pay a share if they are going to have to depend on probate for recovery. Add in a Spry encumbrance on the registered title and no ones going to put any family income into the black hole of nursing home fees. The old pair may end up on a HSE public nursing home waiting list, living at home while unable to look after themselves. I'm well acquainted with these processes, and there's huge potential for grief.

My last word on this, there's probably another thread about this, it's more fun here slagging shyte ads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm sure that's the fella from the pub in Ros Na Run being covered in sand in that Lidl ad.

Not being covered enough unfortunately, I think it's for Aldi, fcek all difference really 😏

• Advertisement

I've no idea what that ad is about, unless it's designed to portray men as halfwits, which the slob with the soggy single ham slice sandwich succeeds in doing. How this makes you go to Aldi, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

The ad with the big fat woman sitting on the floor crying in front of the washing machine. Haven’t a clue what it’s for but it’s beyond depressing. Horrible and it’s on every five minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭H_Lime

"I'm shoppin like a millionaire..."

Another click bait headline/ad in the Indo online for a subscription article; "5 ways to deal with being the youngest in the workplace".

Who makes up this shyte. How about staying in the job for a year or two, until you're no longer the youngest. Try 20 years, when you'll wish you were the youngest again, or 40 years, when the youngest treat you like you're senile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

The current 3 5G ad absolutely grinds my gears. I don’t mind the guy pogoing arid in the back hanger. That’s kind of a comment in the infrastructure demand of fibre. It’s a date comment. What isn’t though is the thick as shít wife exclaiming “why are they still laying fibre when we have this?”, pointing to her 5G router. Yeah luv, see how that works out for you in a few years. Fibre trumps wireless long term and it bugs me that this is verging on misinformation but showing people who are so clueless and annoying just pushes me over the top.

I am going to disagree with you slightly here.

Fibre will always trump wireless, but 5G is plenty for most users.

My Dad got talked into getting fibre by Vodafone, and his broadband bill went from 40 quid a month to over 70 a month. All for a guy who just did email. Doesn't sound like much, but for a guy on a pension it all adds up.

Really only gamers need fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

At a point in time I’d agree with you Ava your dads scenario could even be handled by a 4G single but the sounds of it. Personally speaking I work from home and have a use case where I need it. My point though is that 5 years from now many people’s scenarios could have changed. We all have nite connected devices and more use cases where fibre is useful. Honestly it’s kind of the aggressive tone used in dismissing fibre for a less useable product long term is where I think they are misinforming.

No need for anyone to be paying 70 a month for BB,with so much competition out there the maximum he should be paying is 35.

I know that. And had he asked me thats what I would have told him, but the vodafone sales rep was very convincing on the phone, with lots of bozz words. Zero latency etc.

I work from home too, and I have stuff downloading right now too, and Three's 5G is handling it all fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Virgin Media had a lovely collection of all the most annoying ads together in a row yesterday evening. First, the Maltesers ad with the elderly 'companions' "getting it on", then that mortgage ad where the couple are interviewed by multiple mortgage people, then that trashy Just-Eat ad, and I can't remember the last one. What did I do to deserve this?!?

If only the heat hadn't sapped the energy out of me, I would have been able to reach for the remote control…😟

Advertisement