Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭trashcan

The smug chef tosser, advertising some painkiller, not even sure what it is.

"It's not luck...". What's not luck exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That Oral B ad with the headwrecking bint..... "I never even knew Oral B made toothpaste!" :rolleyes:

What is it with the oral products and ads.

My pet hate at the moment is the Colgate one with the 2 saps on the train.

Are you totally ready for Mr.Right?- Bollocks !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    The screaming an post kid one has 11 dislikes and 4 likes, no doubt the marketing company and the kids parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKdvr1l8KDg.
    This is now more reassuringly at 12/111 likes/dislikes, comments disabled for obvious reasons, like so many companies do.

I wondered if it got any official complaints, none showing yet, found this though

http://www.asai.ie/complaints-bulletins/

The vodafone horndog moaning grinding granny got complaints. Not upheld

http://www.asai.ie/complaint/telecommunications-52/
    The advertisers confirmed that the story was centred on a grandmother and granddaughter scenario where they were enjoying watching television together until an ‘embarrassing’ scene happened. They considered that most families had experienced such a moment.
    They said the premise behind their advertising had been to promote one of their TV’s key features – Wireless Multiroom, which enabled numerous people to have access to Vodafone TV from different rooms within the same house and thus avoid embarrassing situations as outlined above.
    The advertisers said it had never been their intention to disrespect the grandmother or the elderly in more general terms nor had their advertising, in their opinion, portrayed the grandmother’s behaviour in an inappropriate fashion. The said the girl depicted was not disgusted by her grandmother; she was embarrassed for herself. They considered that the scene which unfolded demonstrated an intergenerational experience that many families could relate to.
    In addressing the main areas of concern expressed by the complainants, and taking the relevant sections of the Code into account, the advertisers made the following points:
    Code 3.16: Humour and satire used to ridicule the elderly – they did not believe their advertising was ageist or ridiculed the elderly and pointed out that this had never been their intent. They said the grandmother in question was not awkward or embarrassed; she was simply enjoying the movie, and had no issue with the kissing scene. Neither did they believe that she was being ridiculed.
    Code 3.17: Not respecting the dignity of a person, thereby causing offence on the grounds of age. Vodafone said they did not agree that the granddaughter was being disrespectful to her grandmother either explicitly or by implication. They said the young girl had left the room to watch the movie alone, where she would be more comfortable due to her own feelings of awkwardness. The granddaughter’s reaction, they said, was a typical reaction which took place in sitting rooms all over the country.
    Code 3.20: Exploitation of Sexuality/use of coarseness – the advertisers did not believe that their advertising was distasteful in its use of sexuality. There had been no intention on their part to suggest that the grandmother was sexually aroused by the scene she was viewing. They said their aim had been to reflect a common truth that watching any form of romance or sex scene with someone of a different generation within a family can at times be awkward. In the case to hand the said it was the granddaughter who had encountered the feeling of awkwardness.
    In conclusion the advertisers said they prided themselves in their commitment to diversity and serving a wide spectrum across society. They said it had never been their intention to portray either character in a bad light or to cause offence with their advertising. They said likewise it had not been their intention to portray the behaviour of the grandmother in a sexual manner and their intention had been to portray the behaviour of the young girl as being the normal reaction of any young teenager given the circumstances.

There had been no intention on their part to suggest that the grandmother was sexually aroused by the scene she was viewing.

Well sweet jaysus, if that was their instructions/aim that is the worst actress and director I have ever seen so, should have all been sacked. I would love to see the original script/screenplay or whatever it is they have. Its only watching it again I noticed the sneaky little grind she does.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

On the subject of Vodafone, that 'Going Viral' has made a comeback.

That first shot of those twins is like something out of a horror film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I haven't gone back through all the pages,so someone might have posted about it already,the Boots ad with the song "I Wish It Could Be Summer Everyday".It's horrendous having to listen to Roy Wood and Wizard from late November to the first week of January without having a version of it on primetime TV in mid Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Centra "We are hurling ad"

Henry Shefflin reads his line like a fella who only learned how to speak english a few minutes before he was filmed and the scene with the young lads playing hurling at a wonderfully picturesque GAA field would be nice except for the fact that that field is on Inishturk and I doubt hurling has ever been played on that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

The tesco ad with the young boy eating with his hands. The mother just lets him. He deserves a talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

"3.5 billion women on the planet

And no two are the same

So why should their pads be..."

Do they have 3.5 billion types of pad to sort this conundrum? No, they have 4. So, there are four groups of over 800, 000 women who they figure are roughly the same then.

LOL!

The girl in this ad who is waving her hands whilst doing some kind of curtsy - what is going on there?! Her face is expressionless. So odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I haven't gone back through all the pages,so someone might have posted about it already,the Boots ad with the song "I Wish It Could Be Summer Everyday".It's horrendous having to listen to Roy Wood and Wizard from late November to the first week of January without having a version of it on primetime TV in mid Summer.

Heaven forbid "Merry Summer Everybody", sung by someone who sounds nothing like Noddy Holder... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just seen (and heard) the An Post ad with the screaming child. Holy jaysus. Who thought that was a good idea?
    Whoever thought up that ad, and whoever signed off on it, wants taking out behind the wall and shooting. A truly dreadful ad.

• Advertisement

Has anyone from An Post actually come out and admitted that they badly fcuked up with that ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

blueser wrote: »
    Has anyone from An Post actually come out and admitted that they badly fcuked up with that ad?

You don't have to like an ad for the ad campaign to have worked.

You aren't going to forget that ad are you? Therefor it worked.

Now the trick I guess is not to make the ad so annoying that it make you think I'm never going to use there stuff/services because their ad annoys me.

my3cents wrote: »
    You don't have to like an ad for the ad campaign to have worked.

You aren't going to forget that ad are you? Therefor it worked.

Now the trick I guess is not to make the ad so annoying that it make you think I'm never going to use there stuff/services because their ad annoys me.
    Yes; I see where you're coming from. We're talking/complaining about it, so it's worked. Can't argue with that. No such thing as bad publicity, and all that. But, as you suggested, what about those that are so p1ssed off with it, that they actively seek alternative providers for that service? A sort of "up yours" to An Post, if you like.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I don't agree that if people are talking about the ad it has worked.
    The holy grail of advertising is to make an ad that people find amusing/interesting/likeable ie. the early Russian Meerkats Insurance campaign. I would say very few hit the mute or changed channel with those.
    The Meerkats are still going, albeit a bit tired at this stage.

Another flawless TV ad (imo) was the Dogs Trust one and while not much talk about it, it was a great ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKLDJ-PvR4

The Skoda radio ad with Barry and son had people ringing radio stations telling them to stop playing it. Lots of people talking about that one and it was a massive fail. People on here even saying 'I was going to look at Skoda, but not now' etc.

That An Post ad. I (and I guess a lot of others too) always hit the mute, always. Is that what a good ad should do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I don't agree that if people are talking about the ad it has worked.
    The holy grail of advertising is to make an ad that people find amusing/interesting/likeable ie. the early Russian Meerkats Insurance campaign. I would say very few hit the mute or changed channel with those.
    The Meerkats are still going, albeit a bit tired at this stage.

Another flawless TV ad (imo) was the Dogs Trust one and while not much talk about it, it was a great ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKLDJ-PvR4

The Skoda radio ad with Barry and son had people ringing radio stations telling them to stop playing it. Lots of people talking about that one and it was a massive fail. People on here even saying 'I was going to look at Skoda, but not now' etc.

That An Post ad. I (and I guess a lot of others too) always hit the mute, always. Is that what a good ad should do ?

I've found the recent Maltesers ads so bad that I outright wouldn't consider purchasing them anymore. That might sound weird but so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Talking about getting it wrong this is ancient history (2004) but always worth reviving every so often. Ad was withdrawn afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

The An Post is proof of the existence of Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The Allianz ad grinds my gears...the one with the choir singing and Sinead Kane the blind athlete walking around Youghal meeting people....not meaning to be snobby ,but the way she says "athlete" and "marathons" is enough to have me hitting the mute button straight away...and like the equally irritating Tesco ad,it's on during every...single...ad break

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Luis21 wrote: »
    The tesco ad with the young boy eating with his hands. The mother just lets him. He deserves a talking to.
    I came in to post that, its fcuking disgusting, their whole smug "Family" ad campaign is atrocious but this actually puts me off my food when it comes on, kids dont even eat like that, its like they made the poor lad be deliberately horrible, he's licking his hands and smearing it all over his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was just about to post the same.

Who in the name of God wants to listen to a little girl screaming "Oh ya oh ya oh ya oh ya" over and over again?

And especially anyone who's been listening to children all day most certainly don't want to listen to it!

• Advertisement

McCain have jumped on the bandwagon with their family theme.

"Your sister from another mister". :rolleyes:

I'm risking permanent injury from rolling my eyes so much when the ad comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

Talking about getting it wrong this is ancient history (2004) but always worth reviving every so often. Ad was withdrawn afaik

Wow, how have I never seen this before?! Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

This is by far the worst ad ever. It's excruciating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

That ad was never designed for tv. It was an online viral marketing campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

-=al=- wrote:
    This is by far the worst ad ever. It's excruciating!

It should be an ad for contraception.

Not meaning to knock the little girl in question but its not an ad you can really put on repeat. Cute the first time but the 1 millionth and 21st time not so much. A monkey banging cymbals springs to mind

1007573176_1416492667_mindset.gif?w=700

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

The ad where the man is teaching his small child how to play the piano grinds my gears.
    Basically telling u to get a loan for a piano.....get real AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Apparently, that cat decapitation ad wasn't the only one created as part of that particular campaign...
    An online advertising campaign for Ford has gone badly wrong, leaving the U.S. carmaker accused of bad taste over the depiction of its new SportKa decapitating a cat.

Ford's European operation and Ogilvy & Mather, its advertising agency, began an investigation on Thursday into how a proposed ad — which both insisted had been rejected — had begun circulating on the Internet.

Animal protection groups attacked the "abhorrent" advert, which shows the ginger cat having its head cut off by the sunroof before its body slides down the bonnet.

The car maker said the advert was conceived as part of a "viral" campaign, where short videos are released on to the Internet and redistributed by e-mail, as people find them funny. But it insisted it was not meant to be developed. As an alternative, a clip showing a comedy pigeon being thwacked by the bonnet, had been chosen. That ad caused controversy among some pigeon fanciers and was also condemned by animal rights groups.

"It was done as a proposal somewhere deep down in the bowels of the agency," Ford said. "As soon as we saw it we said absolutely not. We are appalled — this is not something we want to be associated with."

The concept of viral advertising has become popular, as people are thought to be more likely to pay attention to e-mails sent by their friends. But Ford's experience shows that, just as with computer viruses, viral ads cannot be controlled.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said the ad was "distasteful." "The concept should never have been mooted and we hope the outcry will send a clear message to advertising agencies that making fun out of cruelty is simply unacceptable."

Ford has been trying to build a "bad boy" image for the SportKa, an overpowered version of its tiny Ka pitched as "the Ka's evil twin". It flatly denied releasing the video deliberately to boost this image.

Competitors have already begun using the advert against Ford. Vauxhall, its biggest competitor in the U.K., said: "Vauxhall condemns acts of such blatant cruelty in a desperate attempt to sell cars."
    There's an internet advertisement doing the rounds that should be avoided by those of a sensitive disposition. A Ford SportKa - the "evil twin of the Ka" - sits on a drive while a ginger cat climbs on top and sticks its head in the sunroof, which promptly closes, apparently decapitating the poor puss. You'd have thought Ford would have learned its lesson, especially after arousing outrage from the RSPCA and The Royal Pigeon Racing Association over an earlier ad, in which a SportKa bonnet sent a pigeon hurtling to its seeming end. And it has. Ford explains that its agency, WPP's Ogilvy, presented two storyboards. While the carmaker found the bird's demise to its liking, it thought the puss popping its claws "unacceptable and reprehensible". But for some reason, Ogilvy went ahead and made the ad anyway. It now says it regrets the "unapproved material" was "accidentally released". Ford admits its relationship with Ogilvy has been damaged, though any talk of the agency being not so accidentally released from its contract is premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭Penn

YOU DIDN'T F*CKING DO ANYTHING! You pointed out that the bird landed on her shoulder after it already landed on her shoulder and she clearly acknowledged it! Why is she thanking you? You didn't make the bird come back. And why are you accepting her thanks? You didn't f*cking do anything to help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

That euromillions ad, with the island bought by this guy. Feck off.

I actually like it :D The one with all the Irish slang in it anyway

Advertisement