Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

What is this "boom" word I keep hearing in ads? Is it something ye smart people up in Dublin say, because I've never heard it down here amongst the culchies. That chap in the AXA, I really want to slap him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

madmaggie wrote: »
    What is this "boom" word I keep hearing in ads? Is it something ye smart people up in Dublin say, because I've never heard it down here amongst the culchies. That chap in the AXA, I really want to slap him.

Really? I hear it all the time in places like Kerry and Limerick. Fairly common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

He'll hardly get a quote for that Passat this year now that it's over 10. Small wonder the the driver of the 02 punto did a runner he probably couldn't get a quote at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

What is this "boom" word I keep hearing in ads? Is it something ye smort people up in Dublin say, because I've never heard it down here amongst the culchies. That chap in the AXA, I really want to slap him.

Fixed it for you so that target demographic will understand your question better. :razz:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Really? I hear it all the time in places like Kerry and Limerick. Fairly common.

That accounts for it. Poor old Carlow, we're always the last.

• Advertisement

Personally, I much prefer the use of "bang".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭valoren

Literally as I read this that ad comes on the telly. Mute button. Vodafone really do the worse ads. I cannot remember then ever having a good one and each new ad seems worse than the last.

I still intermittently shudder thinking about their Christmas ad a few years ago with a 'Terence & Phillip' like Joe Duffy saying "Oive a Man from Clontarf...."

Unforgiveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

The ad for Electric Ireland grinds my gears for so many reasons...

- The gormless way the woman says, "I'll get the heating on"
    - The looks the mother & father give each other
    - The way the dad pats the kid's shoulders after wrapping him up in the coat again, like he was sending him off to war
    - The smart alec kid saying he can't feel his insides

Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

duridian wrote: »
    I've just seen the ad for Ireland's Got "Talent", with Lucy Kennedy in a convertible, loud screaming noise :confused: and the rest of the nonsense.
    What the......
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Saw it late last night. Awful. It's an homage :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: to Baby Driver's opening scene btw.

An ad for Spar last night with Claudine Keane in it doing.....basically nothing. Yes Claudine, we believe you shop in Spar. It starts off like a l'Oreal ad or a fashion shoot then morphs into her at home with the kids. They don't even use her doing a tag line at the end of some sort of sign-off, she just walks out of the shop with 2 kids (I assume are her own) and that's it.

Poor thing must need the money. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Boom

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Valentina wrote: »

- The way the dad pats the kid's shoulders after wrapping him up in the coat again, like he was sending him off to war

Jesus!

Its not like we live in Siberia or northern Alaska in - 50 degrees . No house in Ireland that hasn't been heated for a few hours is that bloody cold anyway

Saw it late last night. Awful. It's an homage :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: to Baby Driver's opening scene btw.

Aha! Cheers for that. Found it on Youtube. :)

I see Jon "The Punisher/Shane Walsh" Bernthal is in it. Based on that and the robbery & chase in the Subaru, I might even be tempted to watch the entire movie if it was on poxy half baked Irish Netflix. :(

Still think the IGT ad is dreadful though, and the choice of judges/presenters looks abysmal. Chucking that lot into a show together and expecting success is like throwing half a pound of mince and some grass into a blender in the hope of getting some milk. What are TV3 thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jesus!

I love that ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

duridian wrote: »
    Aha! Cheers for that. Found it on Youtube. :)

I see Jon "The Punisher/Shane Walsh" Bernthal is in it. Based on that and the robbery & chase in the Subaru, I might even be tempted to watch the entire movie if it was on poxy half baked Irish Netflix. :(

Still think the IGT ad is dreadful though, and the choice of judges/presenters looks abysmal. Chucking that lot into a show together and expecting success is like throwing half a pound of mince and some grass into a blender in the hope of getting some milk. What are TV3 thinking?

Baby Driver also starred notorious groper Kevin Spacey...which I would have thought TV3 wouldn't want to reference in light of the Al Porter scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

prepay power is on my radar now, another idiot dad who cant use a remote control and looks like a confused ape

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

watching bloomberg this morning had to have a good laugh at an ad for Zimbabwe trying to advertise the country as a place for businesses to invest in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Jesus!
    I'd say the ad agency don't care too much that people don't like the ad (only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about etc...) .

But, it probably grinds their gears that you got the company it was for, wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Those ads during emmerdale with a bunch of dum dum scriptwriters brainstorming. They go for ironic humour, ends up just annoying as fcuk. The wise old guru cleaning lady grinds my gears too.

Lay off the slow motion ad writers. I counted 7 ads in a row last night all using slow mo. Govt should start taxing them for using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

The Kerrygold ad with the man reminiscing about NOT helping his mother as her ghost rips the pi**. Then his angelic child comes in to gaze adoringly at him ensuring another generation of Kerrygold memories are made. Jebus grant me patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

That new Vodafone ad, jaysus Christ it does my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

That accounts for it. Poor old Carlow, we're always the last.

Carlow? Where’s that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

A few are making me homicidal at present:

1. The f**king Head and Shoulders one where the wagons are squealing with delight having WASHED THEIR HAIR!!!

2. The one for the adult nappy like things "I've found something that not only stops me pissing myself ... but is pretty!!!!

Add to that the ads for thrush treatment that appear at tea time and I may not be responsible for my actions!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A few are making me homicidal at present:

1. The f**king Head and Shoulders one where the wagons are squealing with delight having WASHED THEIR HAIR!!!

2. The one for the adult nappy like things "I've found something that not only stops me pissing myself ... but is pretty!!!!

Add to that the ads for thrush treatment that appear at tea time and I may not be responsible for my actions!!!

Just make sure you've washed you hair and are wearing a clean pretty nappy first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

my3cents wrote: »
    Just make sure you've washed you hair and are wearing a clean pretty nappy first :)

You can add one more - that fupping Olay advert with "Jane".

"Is it DNA or Olay that keeps her young ?"

Neither. It's botox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Just witnessed the new TV3 ad for Ireland's got talent.

Would it be classified as plagiarism?

It's basically just Edgar Wright's video for Mint Royale (below)

me_irl wrote: »
    Just witnessed the new TV3 ad for Ireland's got talent.

Would it be classified as plagiarism?

It's basically just Edgar Wright's video for Mint Royale (below)

Read back a few pages/posts.....Wright also directed Baby Driver.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Jesus!

I'd be asking them to leave if they behaved like that in my home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

plodder wrote: »
    I'd say the ad agency don't care too much that people don't like the ad (only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about etc...) .

But, it probably grinds their gears that you got the company it was for, wrong ;)

I guess it shows how ineffective the ad is that all I can remember is the obnoxious characters, rather than the brand itself ;)

Advertisement