Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think I hate all their ads.

Remember one way or another a few years back that was on from st Stephens day till April fools day.

Also hated all those horrible here come the girls...boots ads. Though did not mind this years christmas only you ad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

anewme wrote: »
    The Mace one is absolutely hateful.

But the Ribena one?

What’s not to love about a giant rabbit with a moustache and sunglasses going zoo bee doo zoobeedoo do zoobeedoo dooo (ahhhhhh)

I love it and watch it every time it comes on. One of my favorites.
    I've seen it loads of times and I still notice new things. Great ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've seen it loads of times and I still notice new things. Great ad.

I was just going to say the same myself. Every time I watch it I see something new. Very creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

anewme wrote: »
    I think I hate all their ads.

Remember one way or another a few years back that was on from st Stephens day till April fools day.

Also hated all those horrible here come the girls...boots ads. Though did not mind this years christmas only you ad

I think they've discontinued their 'here come the girls' adverts, the Boots ones I mean.

At least I hope so-it's been a long while since they used the Sugababe's version of the song-since Sugababes split.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

All the Vodafone ads

the nonsense with the pig
    the new dad
    screechy violin kid
    girl sent to the gaelthacht

Who is the marketing person in Vodafone who thinks these ads do anything except rip the TV off the wall and jump on it

one thing tho.................leave Trivago girl alone

• Advertisement

An ad for kitchen roll that is split into half sheets featuring a big clueless manchild of a husband who looks like he's on some serious medication breaking the washing machine and making a mess of the kitchen.
    The wife is going around cleaning up after him and giving out like the pi**ed off mother of a bold toddler.
    Meanwhile the voice over is saying 'you know you can't change him' :mad: ffs :mad:

Don't try to change him Love, pack a case and go to the Spain for a fortnight. When you get back he'll either have starved to death, burnt the house down with him in it, or died from thirst because he doesn't know how to turn on the tap. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Drifter50 wrote: »

She can dress up for me any time :D

Drifter50 wrote: »
    All the Vodafone ads

the nonsense with the pig
    the new dad
    screechy violin kid
    girl sent to the gaelthacht

Who is the marketing person in Vodafone who thinks these ads do anything except rip the TV off the wall and jump on it

It's interesting how Trivago adverts should be annoying, but because they at least do a new variation of their adverts, and Trivago girl is a welcome presence, they avoid it.

Vodafone's adverts are just an abomination out of the gate...I was wondering what happened to the 'Pepsi campaign crew'-seems they got a job at Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

rubadub wrote: »
    I took the thank you bit to be since it appears to be an ongoing event and the tradition is that the dad always pays, he says "you know the rules"

It got ad of the week on this site, as did many horrendous ads I hate, but if this was my most hated ad on tv at the moment I would be a happy camper

http://www.adworld.ie/2018/05/09/ulster-bank-dinner-with-dad/

I think he says " You know the rules" because the Son is going to look at his phone.
    What amazes me is that the waitress asks them "Same again Lads?"
    And the oufella says "Yes Maria".
    How often do these fukkers eat out??
    Yep, hate this ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Thanks...he pronounces it “three whales” though...coz it’s “weights” I hear:D

Still hearing “tree Wales “ or “tree weights” -even though I know it’s “three wheels”:D:D...maybe it’s a Yanny/Laurel thing:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I think he says " You know the rules" because the Son is going to look at his phone.
    What amazes me is that the waitress asks them "Same again Lads?"
    And the oufella says "Yes Maria".
    How often do these fukkers eat out??
    Yep, hate this ad.

Was trying to remember where the dad was familiar from and I think he used to play this wife beating psycho in Ros Na Run, at least he looks very like the guy I'm thinking of.

Was trying to remember where the dad was familiar from and I think he used to play this wife beating psycho in Ros Na Run, at least he looks very like the guy I'm thinking of.

Yep-was in an advert where Tg4 mashed Cold Case and Ros na Run together.

I posted it earlier.

(The American cast learned to speak phonetic Irish-yer man used to be a teacher).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The ad for cider using Bitter Sweet Symphony. Leave it alone!

The Go Compare ad where the group of young ones are out having a meal. When the waitress comes with the bill they all start looking the other way and pretending they forgot their wallet. One girl pays for them all in the end; if I was her I would sever all ties with those cheap bums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

I thought it was a two part ad?

But as I normally channel surf now whenever it comes on I can't be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

They seem to like messing with them nowadays, just look at the UK scratch card advert with Harriet scratching. Obviously people didn't get it the first time around as now you have the guys explaining whats going on. Are people really that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Vodafone must have asked for godawful ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

madmaggie wrote: »

Thought they were using the Rolling stones version that the Verve ripped off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I lost three wheels. Keep her tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Fcuk off with your “dilly dilly” crap. Who really drinks that swill? The amount of “banter” lads that think it’s hilarious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just saw that girl in the gaeltacht ad...

The entire ad team must have been from South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭valoren

That bloody Nescafe Ad.

Seriously, who comes up with that ****e?
    Do you have a moment now?

And so thousands of people in the arena are now sitting in complete darkness twidling their thumbs because they didn't make the cut in your narcissistic, self absorbed reversal of 'Guess Who' i.e. Guess who I am.

To cap it off, there is that trope in modern advertising made popular by John Lewis of taking classic songs and having breathy, sickly emotional but ultimately nauseating renditions of them playing over the ad. Just awful in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

madmaggie wrote: »
    Thought they were using the Rolling stones version that the Verve ripped off?
    It's the Andrew Oldham Orchestra version of the Stones "the last time"

they, ahem, "sampled" it so heavily its basically the karaoke version of the verve song.

valoren wrote: »
    That bloody Nescafe Ad.

Seriously, who comes up with that ****e?
    Do you have a moment now?

And so thousands of people in the arena are now sitting in complete darkness twidling their thumbs because they didn't make the cut in your narcissistic, self absorbed reversal of 'Guess Who' i.e. Guess who I am.

To cap it off, there is that trope in modern advertising made popular by John Lewis of taking classic songs and having breathy, sickly emotional but ultimately nauseating renditions of them playing over the ad. Just awful in every way.

I think it pre-dates John Lewis. Remember the Ballygowan water advert with Paula Flynn's cover of 'Let's Dance'?

I'd put the blame at the feet of shows like Greys Anatomy and Damages. They often had/ have these nauseatingly bad covers of songs- one example I remember, which was either Damages or some other show from a similar era, had a slow as hell version of 'Girls Just Wanna have fun'...it was so bad, I thought it was parody. Even had a male singer.
    The moment was meant to be poignant...it became comical.

The reason's it's being done-bad cover versions-is simply down to money. It costs way less to use cover versions than it does to use the original. And some songs cost a fortune.
    I remember hearing one guy who worked in advertising talking about the costs of a song he wanted to use for a beer advert. The plan was to use Andrea Bocelli's 'Time to say Goodbye', but the ad campaign was limited to Ireland, and maybe the UK, so the budget wasn't as big. The song, despite being a good 20 years old, would cost a €1 million for royalties.

They managed to get an older song for about €20 grand.

If anyone looks back over this thread, I think its fair to say the Vodafone ads seem to annoy a awful lot of folk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The extra chewing gum with the lad in his underwear.. Hi I’m Tom and the Dad smiles wtf is that about I know the smile I would give him after catching him in my daughters bedroom.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    The extra chewing gum with the lad in his underwear.. Hi I’m Tom and the Dad smiles wtf is that about I know the smile I would give him after catching him in my daughters bedroom.

Very good !!! Think I`d be in there, grab him by the scruff and out the door with him

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Any Vodafone ad, they really are complete cringe and shoite

Advertisement