Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those ads don’t pay for themselves you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

fussyonion wrote: »
    Aside note; why aren't tampons and sanitary towels free of charge?
    They're needed for necessity; it's not women's fault they require them!
    Or at least reduce the price!

Then we'd have to have free jax roll too!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The VHI ad about the lady going to Cuba is back. I find all their ads patronising, condescending and annoying. Laya's are plain stupid, eejits rolling down a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Aside note; why aren't tampons and sanitary towels free of charge?

You could say the same thing for toilet paper, tissue paper, kitchen towels, condoms, bin bags...

Lots of things are 'necessary' until you really look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How do you suggest reducing the price? they are already zero rated for VAT. There are reusable/washable devices and pads too.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/S/sanitary-towels-other-zerorated-goods-and-services-.aspx

meanwhile toilet roll is 23% vat.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/T/toilet-rolls.aspx

Oral contraceptives are 0% too,
    Meanwhile condoms are 13.5%

If they handed out free sanitary towels people would be taking all they can get and using them in place of things like kitchen towels!

From pads to soak up armpit sweat and adding comfort to heels, to toe-separating tampons: Women confess their bizarre alternative uses for sanitary products

Men are on average recommended to consume 500kcal more than women per day "it's not their fault", but to suggest free 500kcal per day of food & drink for men would be just as objectionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

madmaggie wrote: »
    The new Bank of Ireland ad. Finger nails dragging on a blackboard would sound better.
    The execution of Follow You Follow Me on the Bank Of Ireland ad.
    What makes that doubly annoying is that the song - Follow You, Follow Me by Genesis - is a classic, first recorded 40 years ago in 1978, and an important song in the history of rock music. In the 1980s Genesis were massively successful with albums like Invisible Touch, becoming part of the zeitgeist with videos like Land Of Confusion and getting referenced in American Psycho, and spinning off Phil Collins as a pop star in his own right. Follow You, Follow Me is where their transition from prog rock dinosaurs to a pop act really got going. Not that anyone cares about such history. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

The Allianz advert-where they used that song from Disney's Hercules-but via a choir. That movie is one of the weakest Disney movies ever made (barring Hades and Meg).

And Ellen Keane's 'It's Going to be Aaaaammmmaaaazzzzzingggg'....it burns into my soul...this advert needs repeated damning...it's horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

The Allianz advert-where they used that song from Disney's Hercules-but via a choir. That movie is one of the weakest Disney movies ever made (barring Hades and Meg).

And Ellen Keane's 'It's Going to be Aaaaammmmaaaazzzzzingggg'....it burns into my soul...this advert needs repeated damning...it's horrendous.

How very dare you :p. I actually love this song, the movie isn't great but that song is one of Disneys best! But, I can totally see why someone who doesn't love it would find the choir grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Axa.

What the hell is she at ?

Stopped dead in the middle of the road with a junction of a minor road on the left.
    Absolutely nothing on front of her. No reason to stop and no brake lights.

Look at the video. Pause at the very start, click on the first few frames to get it in sequence. Can't embed for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMxIRyqz7c&feature=youtu.be

I think it's a bash for cash job she set up. She had the brake lights disconnected and although she had told Mark just 10 mins before what the exact plan was, he's so f***ing thick he totally forgot about the plan.

The lad in the olive green Fiat (2 in that first few frames btw) saw through the scam and legged it.

How very dare you :p. I actually love this song, the movie isn't great but that song is one of Disneys best! But, I can totally see why someone who doesn't love it would find the choir grating.

It's weak, the movie that is, but it's still light years ahead of films like Princess and the Frog, which suffers similar problems in that the villain and supporting cast are the most memorable thing about the movie. Everything else is...not.

The song is grand-but the main problem is that it doesn't tie into the movie, as in most Disney heroes/ heroines have a goal-and Hercules 'goal' isn't very clear.

But when it's slowed down to hell--it's usually bad.

Case in point-I love this song from The Little Mermaid.

But this version by Peter Andre can burn in hell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

lawred2 wrote: »
    Circle K bought them

It's all in the ad lad :D

I thought it was very unclear at the start. I’ve never seen one of those ads where they say what the old name was. They just say ‘new name, same people’. Each time I hear it I think, “ya, great, but what was your old name?!!”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

You could say the same thing for toilet paper, tissue paper, kitchen towels, condoms, bin bags...

Lots of things are 'necessary' until you really look into them.

35922539_1285883771541884_6129201081973997568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=29c9de80e74290ab389a2eb1276008d4&oe=5BA82E05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"Evan,look at Mommy's new kawr" :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭donegal_man

There's an ad for Chill Insurance with a couple counting sheep and the female goes to sleep.
    The look on his face is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

There's an ad for Chill Insurance with a couple counting sheep and the female goes to sleep.
    The look on his face is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

Jennifer Macguire-and yeah, it's 'date-rapey'.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see the "Thanks Dad" Vodafone ad has received 15 complaints.
    Jesus Christ, some people have nothing better to do....

Glad the ASAI have common sense.
    THE ADVERTISING STANDARDS Authority of Ireland (ASAI) has not upheld 15 complaints it received about an advertisement that “lacks information on the whereabouts of the boy’s biological dad”.

The Vodafone TV ad features a young boy meeting his mum’s new partner and shows the relationship they develop over time.

The final scene of the advert shows the new partner helping the young boy to do his homework and afterwards, the young boy says “Thanks Dad”.

The common theme of the 15 complaints received by the ASAI was based around the lack of information on the whereabouts of the boy’s biological dad and why it was necessary for him to call his mum’s new partner ‘Dad’.

Other complaints received included:

“The advertisement has the potential to incite domestic violence when a biological dad sees his son calling another man ‘Dad’.”

“The advertisement is offensive and insensitive to fathers who do not have access to their children or to fathers who are experiencing the grief and pain of being separated from them.”

“The advertisement is offensive to children who may have had negative experiences with their mum’s new partner.”

More here: http://www.thejournal.ie/complaint-not-upheld-for-vodafone-ad-that-lacks-information-on-the-whereabouts-of-the-boys-biological-dad-4092225-Jun2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That ad is fairly ripe for criticism though. I didn't like it myself, and I'd say it was deliberately provocative to some (albeit not exactly code red provocation).

A lot of the reasons put forward there are complete nonsense, but the subtle context there in the ad is that Dad is whoever Mam's boyfriend is. I get the whole craic around step-parents, often where the step becomes either "Mam" or "Dad" over time, but I dare say there were plenty of biological Dad's absolutely fuming at that ad. I dare say there were a few feminist who didn't like the fact that he only became "Dad" when he helped him with his Math's homework either :-)

This ad was a totally unnecessary step for them to take, and they could have avoided any sort of conversation about it. Their recent ad campaigns have been very annoying, and have a tendency for the pukey emotional efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Mr E wrote: »

More here: http://www.thejournal.ie/complaint-not-upheld-for-vodafone-ad-that-lacks-information-on-the-whereabouts-of-the-boys-biological-dad-4092225-Jun2018/

Said complainers or anyone that could possibly take offence to that ad can take a long walk off a short pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

It's an insidious anti father advert and just another part of the anti family agenda that is ubiquitous in the world today. It's also way beyond the pale attempting to make money by exploiting sensitive subjects. If you can't see an issue with that, then I feel sorry for you. But whatever. This has been the trends for ads since the invention of mass marketing. Exploit exploit exploit. Marketing is the work of the devil anyway but I do feel pity for the people who cannot see that. Bill Hicks said it best.

I kinda have to laugh at the new vodafone 'crush' advert-poor kid is given a friendship bracelet.

He's friendzoned for life-damn, that's painful..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

hawkwing wrote: »

Even with the "serious brownie points" bit gone it still manages to be one of the most irritating ads on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pearcider wrote: »
    It's an insidious anti father advert and just another part of the anti family agenda that is ubiquitous in the world today. It's also way beyond the pale attempting to make money by exploiting sensitive subjects. If you can't see an issue with that, then I feel sorry for you. But whatever. This has been the trends for ads since the invention of mass marketing. Exploit exploit exploit. Marketing is the work of the devil anyway but I do feel pity for the people who cannot see that. Bill Hicks said it best.

How is the anti family agenda working out?

Whose behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Even with the "serious brownie points" bit gone it still manages to be one of the most irritating ads on at the moment.

There were complaints against the original.

http://www.asai.ie/complaint/financial-8/

What strikes me now is the reply from the kid.
    Male voice: "Do you like the new car Evan?"
    Child: "I love my new car."
    Female: "Oh man, you get serious brownie points. Serious brownie points.”
    "I love my new car"!?! the kid sounds like you could at best expect a "yeah!" out of him.

I wonder how many takes it took to force this line out of the poor kid, can picture the director tearing his hair out "say the fcuking line you little bollocks!!! who came up with this crap!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Those Dolmio ads; irritating as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

No, I don`t think you are right here, this is an ad commenting on and messing at the fabric of a family and certainly angers me. If I was in that situation I would be screaming and shouting at the ASAI, its simply not acceptable

What on earth are the people who dream up these ads thinking. Are they work experience kids ? Certainly not experienced in life tho ot they would understand and be a tad more compassionate rather than annoying people

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Families come in all shapes and sizes and not all fit one single homogenous definition..

It's mawkish and clawingly cringeworthy but to elevate it to a comment on the 'fabric of the family' is absurd

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You're overthinking and overanalysing it, guys. It's a thirty second ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I haven't seen it for a while now but, ad where a father takes his little sci-fi mad son outside to show him the new family car he's just bought and the little brat throws a wobbly and starts hitting him because the car doesn't have rocket boosters!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

hawkwing wrote: »

My local AIB has that and the treehouse ad on a loop, the poor poor staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

rubadub wrote: »
    There were complaints against the original.

http://www.asai.ie/complaint/financial-8/

What strikes me now is the reply from the kid.

"I love my new car"!?! the kid sounds like you could at best expect a "yeah!" out of him.

I wonder how many takes it took to force this line out of the poor kid, can picture the director tearing his hair out "say the fcuking line you little bollocks!!! who came up with this crap!!!"

I don't think he even says car. It goes 'I love my new' and then cuts - seriously annoying ad.

Advertisement