Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭corkie

Well be so fed up by the advert for Amy's new show that we won't want to watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

lertsnim wrote: »
    Might have to go to Lloyds Pharmacy to get something for the headache I get from their current ad.

This! The woman doing the horrible high pitched sound, who the hell gave this muck the green light?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

corkie wrote: »

Well be so fed up by the advert for Amy's new show that we won't want to watch it.

And the annoying 'what the f**k kind of accent is that' Aisling Bea.

The poor dog is the only one I have pity for. He's the only one with talent. Might very well get his own show.

'Written by Amy Huberman'... I think the 'Just do it' speech was her only contribution, hence why it's in all the adverts-she's so 'proud' of the dated reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The ad for PrettyLittleThing.com. I know I'm not their demographic, but do they all have to look like ladies of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Being with Electric Ireland is SMORT

.........Being with them and never switching is SMORTER.

.........Electric Ireland: SMORTER living.

The letter "A" is slowly but surely being eliminated from Irish advertising.

This by 1 f**king million. Cannot f**king stand this middle class, rugby supporting accent, which every advertiser now thinks is the default Dublin accent.
    Pre Celtic Tiger this accent never existed.
    And the word 'smart' is painfully overused now that its become a part of the corporate speak lexicon. Its up there with 'tech' in making me want to shoot the person saying it.
    Rant over.

• Advertisement

and the radio version of the ad is worse! That accent seems to have become standard in Irish advertising. It's like they're afraid that if they pronounce the letter "a" that they might sound common or something. Rage is right!

Exactly, they've assumed its now a source of shame to have a "proper" Dublin accent (and thats what the traditional inner city and working class accents of Dublin are). Just another sign of Ireland's and Dublin's in particular, descent into middle-classness. The irony is this rugby supporting accent is now common, given that huge amounts of people have simply appropriated it, to try portray themselves in a certain light with an accent they feel is desirable and tells people they are from a certain demographic. Perish the thought anyone would confuse you with being working class.
    The majority of people with this accent have consciously adopted it, which makes them massive, massive t*ats.

terrydel wrote: »
    Exactly, they've assumed its now a source of shame to have a "proper" Dublin accent (and thats what the traditional inner city and working class accents of Dublin are). Just another sign of Ireland's and Dublin's in particular, descent into middle-classness. The irony is this rugby supporting accent is now common, given that huge amounts of people have simply appropriated it, to try portray themselves in a certain light with an accent they feel is desirable and tells people they are from a certain demographic. Perish the thought anyone would confuse you with being working class.
    The majority of people with this accent have consciously adopted it, which makes them massive, massive t*ats.

For years we were inundated with the 'working class' Dub accent. Now you'll only see it on Fair City.
    And I'm gonna sound like a jerk...but I don't miss it. It wrecked my head, at times. Too often it was hard to understand what the hell someone was saying.

I do know people who try to sound posh, because I think it was easier to get work the less 'working class Dub' you were-even if 'posh person' didn't go to secondary school, while 'working class' person had a Phd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Personally I think it's less about class and more about our immature national identity and insecurities. We always seem to have a case of national low self-esteem.

Liverpudlians and Mancunians and Glaswegians don't feel the need to hide their roots, they appear to have the fortitude to wear their accents like a badge of honour. We try our damnedest to self-gentrify to some completely made up one part uptown Manhattan / one part Surrey abomination like the new money hoors that we are... :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I'm getting really pissed off with these cheesy emotionally charged "pull at the heart strings" ads.
    That stupid coffee ad with the audience, and that "may I have a bar of chocolate please" ad are the latest in this category of puke.

That chocolate ad does my head in - if it was my kid I wouldn't be so quick to hug her but would march her back into the shop to see how she'd paid for it.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Personally I think it's less about class and more about our immature national identity and insecurities. We always seem to have a case of national low self-esteem.

Liverpudlians and Mancunians and Glaswegians don't feel the need to hide their roots, they appear to have the fortitude to wear their accents like a badge of honour. We try our damnedest to self-gentrify to some completely made up one part uptown Manhattan / one part Surrey abomination like the new money hoors that we are... :pac::pac:

I often wonder when it was the accent started to 'die out'-at least in the media. When folks stopped showing/ promoting the accent.

• Advertisement

Hahaha, excellent summation!

Its a form of that affliction we seem to have that results in us always looking for a pat on the back from bigger nations, the Late Late Show mentality of always asking people about their irish heritage and what they love about us.
    Tho I do think its a fair part our snobbery creeping out, deep down this is a very materialistic, new money as you say, country. Full of economically neoliberal types who want to appear middle class. I do think things like the adoption of this awful accent are symptoms of that. But thats a different debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I agreed with you until I saw the bit in bold. There's an ad out at the moment for McCain oven chips where Ricky Tomlinson is putting on this really odd posh scouse accent.

"Luhv doesn't care about gendeh"

"Luhv doesn't care when you behn the behguh buns"

His old colleague Sue Johnston is also fond of the aristocratic scouse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭donegal_man

ligerdub wrote: »
    I agreed with you until I saw the bit in bold. There's an ad out at the moment for McCain oven chips where Ricky Tomlinson is putting on this really odd posh scouse accent.

Haven't seen the ad in question but I'd guess Ricky Tomlinson hasn't lived in a working class area of Liverpool for a very long time and his accent has changed over the years. His "salt of the earth" Scouse accent is probably more of an affectation now. Reminds me of (I think) Paddy Kielty's joke about Billy Connolly and his tales of working in the shipyards, "he's had longer foot massages."

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭depaor01

Just heard an ad for car maintenance on radio by the Road Safety Authority. The guy voicing the ad talks about "Tyre Thread Depth". Did nobody in the RSA listen to this before broadcast??? Tyres have tread, not thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

ligerdub wrote: »

I dunno, it's still undeniably A Liverpool accent. Older, softer, yeah but it doesn't really compare to the completely placeless Oar-T-E South Dublin Special.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

depaor01 wrote: »
    Just heard an ad for car maintenance on radio by the Road Safety Authority. The guy voicing the ad talks about "Tyre Thread Depth". Did nobody in the RSA listen to this before broadcast??? Tyres have tread, not thread.
    Talking of the RSA, isn't it time they replaced the ad with the Treacy family (the Portarlington ad) with a newer version? That ad seems to have been on for several years now, and familiarity might begin to lessen the effectiveness of the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

I dunno, it's still undeniably A Liverpool accent. Older, softer, yeah but it doesn't really compare to the completely placeless Oar-T-E South Dublin Special.
    All the emotion in that advert and all they do is sell chips :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

That advert for hearing loss where the guy buys home gin eqpt and she says she said home gym eqpt. They sound the fking same ffs. Not a sign of hearing loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭corkie

[NEW] Chips Curry or Chicken Curry ~~~ McDonnells Ad

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWFAE2vY-Po1n-SvC8sRhPyFJAmTBnT8LCkpSz-DuoZvX-cLg5

• Registered Users Posts: 55,740 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That advert for hearing loss where the guy buys home gin eqpt and she says she said home gym eqpt. They sound the fking same ffs. Not a sign of hearing loss.

+ 1...

I guess that’s the best example of hearing loss they could come up with...

Diction loss more apt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

corkie wrote: »
    [NEW] Chips Curry or Chicken Curry ~~~ McDonnells Ad

I kept missing the start, just saw the end with the auld one doing the lights -which I thought it was very funny TBH,

Wish I had seen it from the start as the "chips currius" chant is not too obvious, I would nto have copped it till yer man put the hood down.

BTW if you want a decent chinese curry sauce go to the asian supermarkets and get goldfish spicy curry sauce.

There's a new advert with Emilia Clarke singing Quando Quando Quando...and it's awful. It's for Dolce and Gabbana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

That Bord Gáis Energy ad where me wan is getting one of her eyelashes done.
    Not only is it not funny, I just hate the over exaggerated pauses, e.g.
    "Em......that..........offer...........ended...............like..........yesterday........ "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There's a new advert with Emilia Clarke singing Quando Quando Quando...and it's awful. It's for Dolce and Gabbana.

What is the point of that ad?

lertsnim wrote: »
    What is the point of that ad?

I have no idea... and I don't know if that's her singing, or not, but whoever sings it is awful-just lifeless.

I honestly thought it was advertising food at first.

So did anyone actually watch that Amy Huberman show after the awful advert?

She makes strange faces that one-during her 'Just dew it' bit--anyone notice her face scrunches into an unnatural 'rat who accidentally bit into a working electrical cable' during that bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Special K ad, No ones going write my story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Elmo wrote: »

Hate that.......horrible.................the previous one way or another was horrendous also...............................stupid ads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Fúck the Daily Express... https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1011961/Emilia-Clarke-Game-of-Thrones-singing-Dolce-Gabbana-advert-video-Instagram-news-pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Elmo wrote: »

I absolutely hate that song.

Advertisement