Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual request, I'm looking for advice on how to find a phone thief in Barcelona.

• 08-10-2016 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Looking for "CSI" style help here.

So my phone was stolen on holidays in Barcelona (pick pocket paradise) a couple of weeks ago.

The thing is, I installed a "find my phone" kind of app before I went to Barcelona that cannot be uninstalled even with factory wipe & reset etc.

So, I have been tracking the suspect for the last couple of weeks.

I have their phone number.

I have their photo (and photo of his girlfriend)

I can listen in to their conversations.

I can read their texts and call logs. I can also see who is texting and calling them.

I can track their location (I know their apartment block).

I have a contact in Barcelona who has given the photos, phone number and apartment block address to the police station where I filed the report but I don't think they're bothered with it. I'm just another tourist with another stolen phone.

Anyway, I've been reading their texts and it seems like the girlfriend of the suspect is a teacher of some sort. My phone is receiving a lot of texts, all in English, asking about classes and when is the next class and are they still in the same school etc. I don't know what she teaches, no mention of that. Oh and I can see the phone numbers texting my phone.

Is there anybody here who can advise me on what to do next? How do I ID this person? Once I have the ID I can send this info to my contact in Barcelona who can in turn bring it to the police. Once they have that info I've basically done their job for them.

I was thinking of texting the thief and asking can I take one of their classes. Then asking which school. I could also call the people who texted the suspect and tell them that their teacher stole my phone or is in possession of my stolen phone and ask them who the teacher is.

By the way if anybody wants this app it's called "Cerberus". It's on the play store. To get the features I have you need to root or "jailbreak" the phone.

Also, yes I have my IMEI so I can lock my phone but that's a last resort. I want to get it back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Perhaps post their pics up on the Facebook page of several Spanish media organisations stating that they have stolen your phone and you want it back. Could be wrong but I doubt the Spanish cops can do anything as you are in Ireland!

First make sure the person who's pic you see is the thief and not some fool that bought a phone from a thief!

Hope ya get it back!!
    Looking for "CSI" style help here.

So my phone was stolen on holidays in Barcelona (pick pocket paradise) a couple of weeks ago.

The thing is, I installed a "find my phone" kind of app before I went to Barcelona that cannot be uninstalled even with factory wipe & reset etc.

So, I have been tracking the suspect for the last couple of weeks.

I have their phone number.

I have their photo (and photo of his girlfriend)

I can listen in to their conversations.

I can read their texts and call logs. I can also see who is texting and calling them.

I can track their location (I know their apartment block).

I have a contact in Barcelona who has given the photos, phone number and apartment block address to the police station where I filed the report but I don't think they're bothered with it. I'm just another tourist with another stolen phone.

Anyway, I've been reading their texts and it seems like the girlfriend of the suspect is a teacher of some sort. My phone is receiving a lot of texts, all in English, asking about classes and when is the next class and are they still in the same school etc. I don't know what she teaches, no mention of that. Oh and I can see the phone numbers texting my phone.

Is there anybody here who can advise me on what to do next? How do I ID this person? Once I have the ID I can send this info to my contact in Barcelona who can in turn bring it to the police. Once they have that info I've basically done their job for them.

I was thinking of texting the thief and asking can I take one of their classes. Then asking which school. I could also call the people who texted the suspect and tell them that their teacher stole my phone or is in possession of my stolen phone and ask them who the teacher is.

By the way if anybody wants this app it's called "Cerberus". It's on the play store. To get the features I have you need to root or "jailbreak" the phone.

Also, yes I have my IMEI so I can lock my phone but that's a last resort. I want to get it back.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

frag420 wrote: »

First make sure the person who's pic you see is the thief and not some fool that bought a phone from a thief!

My phone was stolen at around 2am on a Wednesday night. Then I got a selfie photo of the thief the following night. Could the phone have been sold on in 24 hours? I think it might be the thief as judging by some of the other texts they seem a bit dodgy and junkie-ish. Somebody was advising her to stay away from drugs while breastfeeding. They're very rough looking in the pics too.

If this happened in Ireland would I get it back if it was just an innocent person who bought it from a 2nd hand shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

My phone was stolen at around 2am on a Wednesday night. Then I got a selfie photo of the thief the following night. Could the phone have been sold on in 24 hours? I think it might be the thief as judging by some of the other texts they seem a bit dodgy and junkie-ish. Somebody was advising her to stay away from drugs while breastfeeding. They're very rough looking in the pics too.

If this happened in Ireland would I get it back if it was just an innocent person who bought it from a 2nd hand shop?

Well my sis had her bag robbed at a music festival back home a couple of years ago. Like you she had pics of the thief so she put them on Facebook and asked for it to be shared, had her phone and bag back within a few days as it was handed into police station 30 km away.

May be a bit More difficult a you are not in Spain. Look the chances of getting it back my be slim but at least let everyone in Spain know that that girl
    Is a thief. You may still have it returned hopefully!

Best of luck with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

If the evidence is as clear as you say, I'd contact the Spanish embassy in Dublin and give them the details. You would be surprised what a simple phone call from a diplomat might make to Barcelona Police's interest in recovering your phone.

frag420 wrote: »

Look the chances of getting it back my be slim

I know they're slim but I have much more info than most victims of theft in Barcelona. I want to see how far I can go.

spyderski wrote: »

If the evidence is as clear as you say, I'd contact the Spanish embassy in Dublin and give them the details. You would be surprised what a simple phone call from a diplomat might make to Barcelona Police's interest in recovering your phone.

Good idea I'll give that a try.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »

It's a phone. Not worth the effort.

It is worth the effort.

It's not as if I'm looking for a stolen jacket or something. I can track these people at the click of a mouse button. And I have a contact in Barcelona doing the "legwork" for me at the police station, I just need more evidence. How to ID them is what I'm asking for in this forum. The only effort is lifting a cup of tea to my mouth as I click on "Track Phone".

If you have their pics why not send your friend in the city around to the apartment block to look for them and tell them the situation and if they don't give the phone back then go to back to the police with the info? It's not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Is worth some effort, however would have to establish the identity of the thief as others mentioned. if they are just an unwitting buyer, there might be a risk of international defamation through social media.

On the plus side, good to see some effort, unlike that wan Kim Cardigan, who is claiming the missing '$9m' bling ring off her insurance company, even though there is some speculation of it being an inside job.

Mr.S wrote: »
    & how do you know these people actually stole your phone?

Plus, a bit iffy going through the girlfriend / potentially stalking her place of work etc when you have no idea if she is actually involved?

Im not here to debate. Just looking for advice on how to get my phone back. You should start anther thread if you want to discuss whether I'm right or wrong to use my own phone to get my phone back.

Is worth some effort, however would have to establish the identity of the thief as others mentioned. if they are just an unwitting buyer, there might be a risk of international defamation through social media.

I'm trying to establish the identity at the moment and have asked for help from you boardsies, unfortunately Mr. S is trying to derail the thread.

I haven't defamed anyone on social media and I don't plan to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Meeee noooooo naaawwwwting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You should post this in After Hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Have you any important photos or contacts on the phone? Personally I wouldn't go through the effort. I would block my number on that phone, and get a new one. If you have iclouds, or any form of back ups then everything should be saved, otherwise, mourn the phone then move on. Chances are, phone could of been sold second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

If you have their pics why not send your friend in the city around to the apartment block to look for them and tell them the situation and if they don't give the phone back then go to back to the police with the info? It's not rocket science.

And lose out on hours/days of eves dropping??

Advertisement