Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc crashing and turning off

Options
  • 08-10-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭

So I haven't used my pc in about a week as my TV is gone for repair. I'm house sitting and I've just connected it to his new Samsung 4k. I had an LG 4k. Anyway, everything worked fine, turned on and logged in. Went to do something else and when I came back the pc was off. Strange I thought. Turned it back on, mo error messages, onto youtube and threw on a song. About 2 minutes later, that sound of audio just freezing loudly, and pc turned off.

Turned it back on, took about 4 times as long to get to the log on screen, and it was changing from the windows abs loving logo to a black screen. Got to a screen with :( and Something went wrong, please wait while we gather some information and we will restart. Then it powered off and stayed off. Turned it back on again, tried to go into settings to safe mode, didn't get there in time, Windows logo and loading, black screen, powered off.

I'm reluctant to try again as it seems to be powering off quicker each time since the second time.

Windows 10 Pro
    i5 3570
    Radeon HD 7850 v2
    8gb GDDR4

I'm keeping an eye on this as I need to sort it asap!

I'd post logs but I'm not getting a chance to get to them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Can you get in long enough to attempt to roll back any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can you get in long enough to attempt to roll back any updates?

Nope! It's now not even getting to the log in screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd reseat the GPU as a first port of call. Its unlikely to be that, but its a no risk attempt at a fix.

With both displays connected over DP or DVI?

OK, I booted into bios, checked the H/W Monitor. CPU temp is 99°c, mb is at 32°c. I don't know about the mb, but I know the cpu temp should be between 40 and 55. Going to get thermal paste and reapply and see if that makes any difference.

ED E wrote: »
    I'd reseat the GPU as a first port of call. Its unlikely to be that, but its a no risk attempt at a fix.

With both displays connected over DP or DVI?

I'll try that, but I think it's a temperature issue. It's connected to the tv by hdmi only. Don't have a monitor. Has never been connected to one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You bumped the CPU cooler loose while transporting it by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ED E wrote: »
    You bumped the CPU cooler loose while transporting it by the sounds of things.

Definitely this. It doesn't even really need new thermal paste immediately - it's certainly not a bad idea but right now it just needs to be clipped back into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Make sure the cpu fan cable is connected to the motherboard ,
    see here

http://forums.tweaktown.com/attachments/gigabyte/3123d1292244916-x58a-ud3r-rev1-fan-slow-fan-connector-cable-jpg
    it usually plugs into a fan connector on the motherboard .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Even if the CPU fan header wasn't connected you wouldn't get to 99c instantly or even close - it would also give a post warning that there was no cpu fan detected. It's just not clipped in.

Advertisement