Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brand new to vaping

• 08-10-2016 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

So today I finally bit the bullet and got myself a kit. Put my last cig out and went into iVape.
    So its pretty overwhelming all the different devices etc etc. Anyway it struck me once I got home, how do I know when the coil needs replacing?
    What do you do when you have different flavour juice, can you just top up different ones when replenishing the tank? Bamboozled.

I took advice from last time I posted and got a nautilus tank, have an eleaf 40w iStick. I'm assuming they are pretty good? Girl in the shop reckoned they would last. Then pretty much liked the first juice I tried. Freedom juice and a cola bottle flavoured one. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Now download the Quit Pro app, and track how much cash you're saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Coil gets weaker and gives a bit of a burnt taste when running out of steam.

I went through loads of different juices and just use a flavourless base now. Fraction of the price and no sickly smell to annoy those in my company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

endacl wrote: »
    Now download the Quit Pro app, and track how much cash you're saving.

I'm not sure I'll be saving much cos I was a rollie smoker and will have to see how that fares with the price of juice. Just happy I wont be stinky and can kiss my boyfriend without worrying I taste like an ashtray. :D

But you know how you need to let it stand for it to soak the cotton. Will that make a difference say for when I need to top up and want to put in the freedom juice but the cola bottle has been in there. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Mince Pie wrote:
    But you know how you need to let it stand for it to soak the cotton. Will that make a difference say for when I need to top up and want to put in the freedom juice but the cola bottle has been in there. Hope that makes sense.

When you switch to a different flavour there might be a slight hangover in taste, but nah, once the coil doesn't run dry you'll be grand. Good set up choice I've used it myself, very straight forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So today I finally bit the bullet and got myself a kit. Put my last cig out and went into iVape.
    So its pretty overwhelming all the different devices etc etc. Anyway it struck me once I got home, how do I know when the coil needs replacing?
    What do you do when you have different flavour juice, can you just top up different ones when replenishing the tank? Bamboozled.

I took advice from last time I posted and got a nautilus tank, have an eleaf 40w iStick. I'm assuming they are pretty good? Girl in the shop reckoned they would last. Then pretty much liked the first juice I tried. Freedom juice and a cola bottle flavoured one. :o

Good set-up,I'm still using it for mouth to lung (MTL) vaping upstairs/outside & do direct lung (DL) vaping downstairs with different tanks.
    A little tip about the Nautilus,when filling,don't screw the base on too tightly,it can be a pain getting it unscrewed again,you will need to use marigold gloves or pliers to grip the base & unscrew it,just screw the base on snugly,it wont leak,you'll know yourself once you have done it a few times & also get yourself some spare Nautilus BVC coils,you never know when you might end up with a dud coil,it does happen sometimes.
    When you use a brand new coil in any tank,just put in 6 drops of eliquid in the top sides of the coil (not the middle) & 2 drops in the wicking holes on the side of the coil,do it this way & you will not have to wait for the coil to get soaked.
    Vaping hardware is overwhelming,you will learn alot by watching Youtube videos for reviews & how to's...
    Well done getting off those rollies,I smoked them for 40 years & it was fairly easy for me to give up,thanks to vaping...

A little tip about the Nautilus,when filling,don't screw the base on too tightly,it can be a pain getting it unscrewed again,you will need to use marigold gloves or pliers to grip the base & unscrew it

Oh god this! I've given up on 3 nautilus tanks because of this, great little tank though, the GS air tank is cheap and cheerful too

Girl in the shop really knew her stuff and pointed that out about screwing on the Nautilus. So duly noted thanks.

Another question sorry. Only two days in but getting slight hits of liquid in my mouth. Is this normal cos its vaping as opposed to smoking or am I doing something wrong?

Mince Pie wrote:
    Another question sorry. Only two days in but getting slight hits of liquid in my mouth. Is this normal cos its vaping as opposed to smoking or am I doing something wrong?

Its a pain but it's common, although you could use thicker liquid (higher VG). Could be, the liquid is too thin. Also, I've find a longer drip tip (mouthpiece) can help or getting a piece of rolled up tissue and wiping the inside of your one regularly, finally, just be sure you're not flooding the coil. A drop each side and maybe 2/3 down the middle, anymore than that 'could' cause this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No experience of your set up but I got the same when I started using a good tank with a cheap ass battery. Connection between battery and tank used to get flooded too. Was like having a six barrel carb on a one litre engine.

If you've got an adjustable battery I'd suggest a little more power. More experienced vapers might have better advice.

nkav86 wrote: »
    Its a pain but it's common, although you could use thicker liquid (higher VG). Could be, the liquid is too thin. Also, I've find a longer drip tip (mouthpiece) can help or getting a piece of rolled up tissue and wiping the inside of your one regularly, finally, just be sure you're not flooding the coil. A drop each side and maybe 2/3 down the middle, anymore than that 'could' cause this issue.

Thanks, I've been really careful not to put too much liquid in and its freedom juice so seems quite thick. I've just put some tissue through the mouth piece and will try to not inhale to strongly.

Big Nasty wrote:
    If you've got an adjustable battery I'd suggest a little more power. More experienced vapers might have better advice.

Forgot that, good shout

nkav86 wrote: »
    Forgot that, good shout

I was under the impression the battery I got is pretty good. Its a 40w iStick? Girl in the shop set it at 12w for release and told me not to go any higher? Although I dont understand that. I feel a bit like Spinal Tap and the volume goes to 11 but only using it to 4. If that makes sense. Lol

It is good, no worries there, but don't be afraid to bump it up. You'll get the hang of it naturally, a couple of watts to start with until you find your sweet spot. If you get a slight burning taste, go back lol slow 'drags' as you go so you don't choke if this happens, not a pleasant taste and can ruin a coil if it goes too far. What ohm coil are you using?

Edit: 1.8 ohm coils can handle up to 14w, so you have a little room there, but again it's personal taste

I have never had spit back or juice in my mouth using a Nautilus Mini or the 5ml Nautilus,I have 4 x Nautilus's on the go & I just turned down my wattages from 13w to 6w & no juice in the mouth,something not right here,are you using the coil that was in the tank when you got it,the coil should have details on the side,it should read 1.6 or 1.8 BVC.
    The old sh1t coils read BDC & they were terrible.
    Your istick is perfect,no worries there & I presume you have it set to power mode & not Temperature Control mode.
    The only other thing I can think of,the lady in the shop may have given you a Nautilus X instead of the mini,I have heard that these Nautilus X are not good.
    Only other thing is,the coil must be a dud...

Definitely a nautilus mini.
    Upped the battery slightly and getting a better hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Definitely a nautilus mini.
    Upped the battery slightly and getting a better hit.

If you haven't done so already, give it a clean out with a tissue or toilet paper. Just roll it up into a small roll and bring it down through the tank (from the drip tip to however far it will push down). Also do the same with the drip tip and make sure when filling to fill from the side.

You can also unscrew the base and twist the coil out, give it a dry where the coil screws into and see if you gather any juice. Repeat this a few times and if you are still finding juice, there could be a small leakage in the tank.

With any nautilus mini I have had over the years, never have I had one leakage. The original all right had a few leaking problems. Best of luck :)

So, I've tried all options and got home this evening and cleaned the whole kit and changed the coil. (its an aspire and came with the Nautilus mini).
    Everything still seems .... well it just seems a little sticky. I really want to stick with it cos its already been the longest time I've been off the ciggies in over 20 years. But I just have this real aversion to sticky things. I really dont know what to do? My shifts this week mean I can't get into the shop till Saturday.

edited to add, could it be the juice? Its quite thick I think and Freedom juice. Sigh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

So, I've tried all options and got home this evening and cleaned the whole kit and changed the coil. (its an aspire and came with the Nautilus mini).
    Everything still seems .... well it just seems a little sticky. I really want to stick with it cos its already been the longest time I've been off the ciggies in over 20 years. But I just have this real aversion to sticky things. I really dont know what to do? My shifts this week mean I can't get into the shop till Saturday.

edited to add, could it be the juice? Its quite thick I think and Freedom juice. Sigh.....

To be honest, I'd find higher PG (thinner juice) to be more of a factor to the juice spitting back through the drip tip in comparison to higher VG (thicker juice).

Again, It's extremely rare for hat tank to leak or spit back but of course there are always a few that may have a slight defect.

Try a different drip tip (longer if possible). If that won't do the trick, order yourself another nautilus mini online. You would surely have it by Friday if you ordered it now.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'd find higher PG (thinner juice) to be more of a factor to the juice spitting back through the drip tip in comparison to higher VG (thicker juice).

Again, It's extremely rare for hat tank to leak or spit back but of course there are always a few that may have a slight defect.

Try a different drip tip (longer if possible). If that won't do the trick, order yourself another nautilus mini online. You would surely have it by Friday if you ordered it now.

I'm currently playing around with the settings and have lowered the wattage and upped the temp. Still not ideal but gonna perservere for now and go into shop on Saturday. Tried a toke earlier and it was disgusting so that bodes well. No inclination to go back to the ciggies.

I'm currently playing around with the settings and have lowered the wattage and upped the temp. Still not ideal but gonna perservere for now and go into shop on Saturday. Tried a toke earlier and it was disgusting so that bodes well. No inclination to go back to the ciggies.

What do you mean when you say "upped the temp" you should be on wattage only & not temp,all Nautilus's will work perfectly between 6w & 14w & should not cause liquid to enter your mouth.
    What ohms is showing on your istick 40 TC when the Nautilus is connected,have you watched any Youtube videos on how it works.
    Where do you live,maybe one of us vapors live near you & can help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

To add to what youdipstick is saying as I have a iStick 40TC...

There are 2 main modes that can be accessed pressing the center button in the set of 3 buttons, looks like this: < o >

Press this button and make sure the large number on the screen has a ".w" on the number. Adjust the number to "10.0w" or "11.0w" etc and for the Nautilus keep it under 14 always or it will burn the coil. I remember using this tank around 12 and had a nice vape from it.

You have a good setup there to get you going - good luck.

Ah jaysis I've finally cracked it. Nothing wrong I think with the kit. Just an idiot user. So used to after years of drawing on ciggies that I think I was sucking on the pipe bit rather than simply drawing the vapour. It was my technique that was the problem. Hoping that's the problem anyway. Will see how it works for the next few days then if anyote issues pop into the shop on Friday.

Thanks so much for all the help and support so far.

Nah, definitely something wrong. Works fine when only about a mm of juice in there but still getting lots of liquid through once I filled up again. Positive I'm not over filling and really careful with the dropper at the side. Cleaning the tip constantly and just took the tip off and dipped kitchen towel in to soak up underneath. Gonna power through and head to the shop on Saturday cos that can't be right. Will report back once I've been.

Mince Pie wrote:
    Nah, definitely something wrong. Works fine when only about a mm of juice in there but still getting lots of liquid through once I filled up again. Positive I'm not over filling and really careful with the dropper at the side. Cleaning the tip constantly and just took the tip off and dipped kitchen towel in to soak up underneath. Gonna power through and head to the shop on Saturday cos that can't be right. Will report back once I've been.

Good idea, there might just be something that needs tweaking. It'd be easier for someone to actually see the issue, hope it works out

Update. Went into the shop and she blew out the tank and there seemed to be excess juice in there. Not sure how cos I had changed the coil as well. She adjusted the wattage and seems to be fine now and also gave me a few tips. So see how I get on today cos she said any more problems and it could be a faulty tank. Hopefully I don't have to go back tomorrow.
    Well impressed with myself for sticking with it though. The difference in my vaping is massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

One thing I forgot about the Nautilus (I had the larger capacity one) is that it's not very pocket friendly. Having it in my pocket or kept in any location where it got a lot of movement / shaking seemed to cause it to flood more often. Easy enough to deal with using some rolled up tissue but annoying.

Just a quick one to say thanks so much for all the help. Getting into vaping is some seriously daunting ****. Its so much easier to just buy a pouch of tobacco or cigs but the support has been amazing and I fricking love vaping now that my kit is working like it should. So thanks again. Its all going great and I also have a very happy boyfriend. :D

sorry for the non update but I hate it when OPs don't get involved in their threads.

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote:
    sorry for the non update but I hate it when OPs don't get involved in their threads.

Me too, glad you're doing well with it now. I found the community a great help both here and on Facebook, don't be afraid to ask anytime!

Advertisement