Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electronic Heating Timer plus Wireless Thermostat Suggestions?

• 08-10-2016 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We had a plumber look come to our house and have a look at our heating but said we would have to pay to get writing throughout the house to get a thermostat installed where we wish it to be installed.
    Having a browse on the web, I can see that there are definitely wireless thermostats which may work fine with our current system.
    Our heating is controlled from our ground floor kitchen (coldest room in house). There is no thermostat. There is a rotating analogue timer on on the leftside and 2 switches separate on the right which control the 2 house zones (bedrooms or other). These are above the radiator so unsuitable for a thermostat.
    We would like to install a digital display screen with more options for setting timers plus have a thermostat that can be wirelessly connected within the house to it. This would allow us to have in the bedroom at bedtime and the livingroom during the day.

Can anyone advise on any good systems they have seen? Once we have a better idea of available options I will look at getting a new plumber in to have a look.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Lumina wrote:
    This would allow us to have in the bedroom at bedtime and the livingroom during the day.

Are you hoping to be able to turn rads on and off in different rooms wirelessly?

Best option for thermostat in each room is to get the plumber to fit trvs on each rad. These will save you money over time and will make the rooms more comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

We have TRVs on all rads.
    Really want 1. A digital display with 7 day timer, 2. The option of using it with a thermostat if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

My father in law had
    central heating controlled from an old style analog time clock with a switch in the center for manual overide
    very similar to an immersion time clock

I fitted a salus wireless thermostat in the living room
    and I put the receiver at the timeclock

When the timeclock sends power to the receiver say from 8 am to 10 am

the wireless thermostat in the living room tells the receiver to apply power to the burner
    when the temperature @ the living room thermostat reaches say 21degrees the thermostat tells the receiver to stop power to the burner until the temp drops down to about 19 degrees at which point the thermostat tells the receiver to apply power again
    This will keep recurring until the existing timeclock switches off power at 10 am
    Hope this makes sense
    http://www.salus-tech.com/cache/filelibrary/4726/library/fileLibrary/2015/10/Salus-RT500RF-.pdf

Lumina wrote:
    We have TRVs on all rads. Really want 1. A digital display with 7 day timer, 2. The option of using it with a thermostat if possible.

You already have a thermostat in every room of the house (trvs) These can be used with any timer.

What are you hoping to do with the setup that you are looking for?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You already have a thermostat in every room of the house (trvs) These can be used with any timer.

I could be wrong but I would imagine the op is looking for a programmer to start / stop heating at different times on different days
    which you cant do with the existing analog timeclock

• Advertisement

Lumina wrote:
    We have TRVs on all rads. Really want 1. A digital display with 7 day timer, 2. The option of using it with a thermostat if possible.

At present, I believe the TRVs simply control the flow of hot water into the rads. I would be interested in having a system that when the temperature drops below, say 19C, would activate until it reached a certain temperature.

I also, would like the option of setting up a timer independent of thermostat. In fact either/or would be fine.

Lumina wrote: »
    At present, I believe the TRVs simply control the flow of hot water into the rads. I would be interested in having a system that when the temperature drops below, say 19C, would activate until it reached a certain temperature.
    see my post above :-)
    Does just that

imnorobot wrote:
    I could be wrong but I would imagine the op is looking for a programmer to start / stop heating at different times on different days which you cant do with the existing analog timeclock

I understand that so a digital 7 day timer is needed. Plumber could have fitted that when he was there. Its the wireless thermostat I'm not getting. There is a thermostat in every room already. I'm just trying to understand what op wants his set up to do. I find it hard to give advice on the information provided.

I think the plumber advised that there was insufficent wiring where the op wanted the stat

This is where the wireless stat comes into it :-)

imnorobot wrote:
    I could be wrong but I would imagine the op is looking for a programmer to start / stop heating at different times on different days which you cant do with the existing analog timeclock

I understand that so a digital 7 day timer is needed. Plumber could have fitted that when he was there. Its the wireless thermostat I'm not getting. There is a thermostat in every room already. I'm just trying to understand what op wants his set up to do. I find it hard to give advice on the information provided.
    I know of a TRV as a valve on a radiator that simply can be turned to increase or reduce the volume of water flowing through it. This only works when the heating is on. To me TRVs are not thermostats.

• Advertisement

Lumina wrote:
    I know of a TRV as a valve on a radiator that simply can be turned to increase or reduce the volume of water flowing through it. This only works when the heating is on. To me TRVs are not thermostats.

Thermostatic radiator valves (trvs) are individual thermostats on each rad. They don't reduce the volume of water. They turn themselves on and off based on the temperature of the room.
    I could understand the need for a digital timer like nest that you can activate remotely but putting in extra thermostats in rooms that already have them I don't get. I thought I was missing something. That's why I was asking what was expected from the end result.

imnorobot wrote:
    I think the plumber advised that there was insufficent wiring where the op wanted the stat

But there is already a thermostat in each room. I just don't see where this setup is going

Lumina wrote:

Thermostatic radiator valves (trvs) are individual thermostats on each rad. They don't reduce the volume of water. They turn themselves on and off based on the temperature of the room.
    I could understand the need for a digital timer like nest that you can activate remotely but putting in extra thermostats in rooms that already have them I don't get. I thought I was missing something. That's why I was asking what was expected from the end result.
    This has been quite a lesson in radiators. Thank you very much. I think I just need the digital timer then to replace the analogue one I have now.

Lumina wrote:
    This has been quite a lesson in radiators. Thank you very much. I think I just need the digital timer then to replace the analogue one I have now.

I'm surprised the original plumber didn't point this out.
    You can get a 7 day digital timer for 40 or 50 Euro from any plumbing suppliers. You can go fancy and get a nest or climote digital remote timer for a few hundred Euro. Airtricity were giving free climote timer inc installation for free if you move to them for 12 months.

Advertisement