Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want back to Syria....Limerick's too violent

• 09-10-2016 4:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭

Just read this story in today's Star. First paragraph reads:

"A family who fled war-torn Syria for a new life in Limerick expressed a desire to return to their homeland after spending just 13 days in the city - because they believed it was too violent, a court has heard."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Adios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Fab City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

Heh you sure it was The Star? Sounds like summat Waterford Whisperers would put out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

DeKing wrote: »
    Heh you sure it was The Star? Sounds like summat Waterford Whisperers would put out

Tis the Star alright. I have it here in me hands!

Apparently their young lad wouldn't give a local boy a shmoke and he belted the lard out of him with a hurley

I'm sure there was another thread.
    White criminal with multiple convictions against western Europeans then assaulted Syrian refugee.
    Now it's big news,poor refugees don't feel safe in Ireland.
    Sure someone should tell them it's bad luck they've more chance of being hurt crossing the road.
    Feel safer in a warzone??? Go on then.

• Advertisement

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Feel safer in a warzone???

Could be onto something here for the Limerick tourism board

"Want a unique city experience that'll get your adrenaline pumping?

Visit Limerick. You'd feel safer in a warzone"

Jesus. wrote: »

Worse than a warzone. Visit Limerick"

Bad form but lol.
    I just think if it was me,an Irish guy,it wouldn't of made the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

Jesus. wrote:
    Apparently their young lad wouldn't give a local boy a shmoke and he belted the lard out of him with a hurley

Ahhhh he got a belt of the mighty hurley. That would send anyone packing.

The victim was 16, chased, and beaten unconscious. He was traumatised and still has head pains.

I can understand why this made the news. I'm not really getting the funny side though.

Its not funny it's fcukin disgraceful,16 or not this happens in every town in this country...Its not strange or unusual...

• Advertisement

Its not funny it's fcukin disgraceful,16 or not this happens in every town in this country...Its not strange or unusual...

Were you not being at least a bit glib with the "sure it could be worse crossing the road" comment?

The story was not reported widely when it happened. It arose in the context of the reporting of the trial - the accused assaulted another man who needed reconstructive surgery. The comment from the family about not feeling safe here was made then. And a newspaper picked up on that, as they do, because it adds more interest than a "man assaults 2 people" headline.

Were you not being at least a bit glib with the "sure it could be worse crossing the road" comment?

The story was not reported widely when it happened. It arose in the context of the reporting of the trial - the accused assaulted another man who needed reconstructive surgery. The comment from the family about not feeling safe here was made then. And a newspaper picked up on that, as they do, because it adds more interest than a "man assaults 2 people" headline.

My glibness is in context of the people who disregard the fears of people being caught up in atrocities across Europe by saying we're more likely to get hurt in much more innocent ways.We are in.Ireland it happens sometimes.
    This poor family have been subjected to an assault by an absolute scumbag,who had previously hurt many many others as you say a man needing reconstructive surgery,but why only now did we hear about a Syrian 16 year old and not about the the rest,by all accounts the perpetrator was a loose canon,why now,what about the man who needed his face put back together....
    Why point out Syria is preferable to limerick...Why not be abhorred about a man being beaten so bad he needed his face to be reconstructed

I'm annoyed that it took a minority to be affected before this became news,this should if been sorted by our police and courts after this man reoffended.These people should have been protected by our justice system.
    Still rather Limerick than Syria though.

I'm annoyed that it took a minority to be affected before this became news...

But it didn't. That's the point. It wasn't reported when it happened.

It took it going to trial for it to become news. The assault, the plight of the family, they weren't reported until the case was reported. Why did the coverage lead with the Syrian angle at that point? Because it adds more drama, that's all, they had been here just a few days when their teenage son was beaten unconscious.

Incidentally, the same paper now carrying the story of an Irish man beaten up by North Africans in France. They don't ignore white Irish victims, or bad foreigners...

But it didn't. That's the point. It wasn't reported when it happened.

It took it going to trial for it to become news. The assault, the plight of the family, they weren't reported until the case was reported. Why did the coverage lead with the Syrian angle at that point? Because it adds more drama, that's all, they had been here just a few days when their teenage son was beaten unconscious.

Incidentally, the same paper now carrying the story of an Irish man beaten up by North Africans in France. They don't ignore white Irish victims, or bad foreigners...

No point going on about a different story...what about the plight of ALL the families that were affected by this scum...
    Like you say it's highlighted because its a Syrian family,more drama,no drama in an Irish family being affected by this man's actions,it makes no difference if they're here a few days or all they're lives.
    Syrian family,Irish family, both dealt with the same scenario,I didn't hear any report of how it's not safe for his Irish victims

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's a headline because it's rather bitterly ironic, no more, no less.

Lets simplify it...my 16 year old child was beaten,hospitalised,I said in court it wasn't safe in limerick I'd rather be home in Dublin....would it make news?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lets simplify it...my 16 year old child was beaten,hospitalised,I said in court it wasn't safe in limerick I'd rather be home in Dublin....would it make news?

No, because Dublin is not a place where refugees flee wars. So the irony wouldn't work.

Did you not just say "no point going on with other stories"...and then just base a whole post around an invented and hypothetical one?

Now that's irony, and it works...

My whole point is it wouldn't be news if it wasn't a refugee,so I'm saying if it was a local affected by this it wouldn't be News,it's not iro y,ironic or anything like that,it's common sense

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm on my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Journalism has changed, it is more about getting the clicks and the advertising revenue than anything else. An Irish lad getting assaulted would make the local papers, my friend was bet half to death, was in a coma but it didn't make it past whichever local paper they have in Carrick.
    If the family had not said that limerick was worse than a war zone, this would have probably been buried on page 17 of some free paper.
    For journalism, it's sad to see that click bait is taking over.

No, because Dublin is not a place where refugees flee wars. So the irony wouldn't work.

Pickarooney,your right,why would they want to go back to Syria,Dublin is worse than limerick,Syria is worse than Dublin...Don't be silly its who in their right mind would want to leave limerick to go back to a warzone...Its not irony

Like I said in my first post...adios...we deal with these scum all the time if they can't deal with it then fcuk off...this **** happens here we all deal with it and it's a damn sight better than the middle east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Like I said in my first post...adios...we deal with these scum all the time if they can't deal with it then fcuk off...this **** happens here we all deal with it and it's a damn sight better than the middle east.

Oh well that's grand then, better than the Middle East, what is anybody complaining about. :mad:

If the family had been from Chicago, the same point would have been just as well made - and they wouldn't have needed to be black for it to work. It's just about the view we have of places, and irony that journalists like to use to make their headlines more memorable. If you want to use that to denigrate the family themselves, the victims in all this, you want to take a hard look at yourself.

(We obviously don't "deal" with these scum very well do we? Going by his assault rate)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Could you please set out how you require them to act after their 16 year old son was beaten unconscious?

At least set out your expectations, as you clearly think they have not met them. How should they deal with it, in your opinion?

volchitsa wrote: »
    Oh well that's grand then, better than the Middle East, what is anybody complaining about. :mad:

If the family had been from Chicago, the same point would have been just as well made - and they wouldn't have needed to be black for it to work. It's just about the view we have of places, and irony that journalists like to use to make their headlines more memorable. If you want to use that to denigrate the family themselves, the victims in all this, you want to take a hard look at yourself.

(We obviously don't "deal" with these scum very well do we? Going by his assault rate)

We as in the general population,everyday we deal with problems in our own country,if people from other parts of the world come here whether it's from war torn Syria or Chicago it doesn't matter we all deal with what happens here as best we can,nobody gets special treatment ...if someone says they are better off where they came from then go fcuking back stop giving out about our country....its far from perfect but we are all here and we gotta sort out what's wrong and that includes scum that's been let off with assaulting people left right and centre..Why is nobody kicking up a fuss about the Irish lad who need his face reconstructed...that's my issue....where is the equality

I didn't denigrate anybody

We as in the general population,everyday we deal with problems in our own country...

I can't say I know too many who had kids beaten unconscious. But how do those parents react and how does it differ from the parents of this child? Do Irish parents shrug their shoulders and get on with it?

What is so unacceptable about their reaction? Are we that sensitive that we think the parents of a child beaten up here should be nicer? And they said nothing about us as a people, they specified that they were in fear of gangs hanging around. It seems a perfectly understandable reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

After Hours is gone to bits, gone are the days when you could have ripped the poor Syrian guy and Limerick to pieces...

I can't say I know too many who had kids beaten unconscious. But how do those parents react and how does it differ from the parents of this child? Do Irish parents shrug their shoulders and get on with it?

What is so unacceptable about their reaction? Are we that sensitive that we think the parents of a child beaten up here should be nicer? And they said nothing about us as a people, they specified that they were in fear of gangs hanging around. It seems a perfectly understandable reaction.

Are you for real????I never said there is a problem in there reaction...
    If they think Syria is safer,head on back,no bother.
    If my kid was beaten to an inch of his life and I thought it was safer somewhere else I'd be gone.
    Irish parents can't claim refugee status anywhere else,it's not a war zone In limerick,so by default Irish parents have no choice but to deal with a situation like this....Anyway I'm sorry I've said my piece the F1 is over and so am I ,a trinity student I am not lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The incident must certainly is serious but it's hard to fully take the comparison completely seriously.

I dread what they would have thought if they were here back in the bad days!

Maybe President Assad takes the correct approach dealing with criminals and terrorists then? Irish politicians are useless in dealing with enforcing law and order, they're too left leaning.

Are you for real????I never said there is a problem in there reaction...

You most certainly did criticise their reaction. Here you go, a direct quote...so it's "for real".
    if someone says they are better off where they came from then go fcuking back stop giving out about our country...

The victim was 16, chased, and beaten unconscious. He was traumatised and still has head pains.I can understand why this made the news. I'm not really getting the funny side though.

The attack of course was not funny. What I found funny was that the way it was reported. A family flees a war zone and after 13 days in Limerick they want to go back there because Limerick is too violent!

I've heard Limerick was bad but Jaysus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

The story is funny in a very morbid way. Limerick is so **** people have to flee back to Syria!

Putin, please nuke Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Only the strong survive here and rightly so, can't have the weak taking up room.
    May the odds be ever in your favour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

Only the strong survive here and rightly so, can't have the weak taking up room.
    May the odds be ever in your favour.

Aleppo was just practice for the real hell of Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

A few years ago Iraq won the Asian football championship. The captain of the team was Younis Mahommed. Sunderland were interested in signing him, but his reason for not going was that England was too dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

hairyslug wrote: »
    Journalism has changed, it is more about getting the clicks and the advertising revenue than anything else. An Irish lad getting assaulted would make the local papers, my friend was bet half to death, was in a coma but it didn't make it past whichever local paper they have in Carrick.
    If the family had not said that limerick was worse than a war zone, this would have probably been buried on page 17 of some free paper.
    For journalism, it's sad to see that click bait is taking over.

Journalists aren't the all seeing eye of Sauron.

It not being in the news would simply be because journalists wouldn't be aware that it happened in the first place.

Someone being severely assaulted and left in a coma would certainly make news in every paper - IF they were aware of it.

People seem to think that journalists actually pick and chose their stories from a ready-made stack of quite literally everything that happened across the entire country overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Limerick city is one of those places best described as "grim".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus. wrote: »

Visit Limerick. You'd feel safer in a warzone"

I think you'll find its Dublin where people are being regularly murdered.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think you'll find its Dublin where people are being regularly murdered.

Now now.

Let's not fight over where the worse horrible kip is, boys.

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    The story is funny in a very morbid way. Limerick is so **** people have to flee back to Syria!

Putin, please nuke Limerick.

Twat

Mod: Banned

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Limerick city is one of those places best described as "grim".

Ignorance my friend. You havent a clue.

Now now.

It's a no contest. Dublin is in the midst of an outrageous, uncontained gang war. There are plenty of murders besides.

Limerick had a few back in the day but we sorted it out.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's a no contest. Dublin is in the midst of an outrageous, uncontained gang war. There are plenty of murders besides.

Limerick had a few back in the day but we sorted it out.

Now you just get the ****e beaten out of you for being a for-den-der.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Now now.

Comedy gold though

It's like Rolf Harris complaining about the taste of Jimmy Savilles santorum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

If I was given the choice - Limerick or Syria - I dunno

I'd have to give it some thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

9or10 wrote: »
    If I was given the choice - Limerick or Syria - I dunno

I'd have to give it some thought.
    Can you get a decent bag of chips over there though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

OK that might swing it

• Advertisement
Advertisement