Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel Astra 2006 1.4 - Engine blown

• 09-10-2016 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Rarely post on this forum but on the odd occasion I glance over this section I see that you guys very engaging and helpful so I'd thought I run something by you all.

I know absolutely nothing about cars, but yesterday my 1.4 Opel Astra 2006 blew on the M50.

I was driving back from the airport when the engine began to overheat and eventually gave way. I have AA roadwatch insurance and they came out, he showed me the pump from the coolant tank to the engine had broken off (wear and tear) and as a result the engine overheated.

He also told me the engine was gone, he tried a new battery etc but didn't work.

When I try to turn the key it just makes this clicking sound.

My next questions is, what should I do? From speaking to some friends I understand that this would be a difficult and expensive job.

Should I just get a new car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What are the chances of you wanting to upgrade your car anyway in the next year or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What are the chances of you wanting to upgrade your car anyway in the next year or so?

Likely tbh but if I could this fixed up for a reasonable price then I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the engine fooked or just the head gasket gone?

Did someone tell you you need a new engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

theballz wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Rarely post on this forum but on the odd occasion I glance over this section I see that you guys very engaging and helpful so I'd thought I run something by you all.

I know absolutely nothing about cars, but yesterday my 1.4 Opel Astra 2006 blew on the M50.

I was driving back from the airport when the engine began to overheat and eventually gave way. I have AA roadwatch insurance and they came out, he showed me the pump from the coolant tank to the engine had broken off (wear and tear) and as a result the engine overheated.

He also told me the engine was gone, he tried a new battery etc but didn't work.

When I try to turn the key it just makes this clicking sound.

My next questions is, what should I do? From speaking to some friends I understand that this would be a difficult and expensive job.

Should I just get a new car?

Just to be clear the water pump failing isn't normal wear and tear. Did you ever change the timing belt or pump. What mileage ? If the car is in good nick I'd be inclined to fix

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the engine fooked or just the head gasket gone?

Did someone tell you you need a new engine?

Well the guy from AA. Told me I did, I haven't had a mechanic look at it yet,
    I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out if I should bother or not

• Advertisement

Needles73 wrote: »
    Just to be clear the water pump failing isn't normal wear and tear. Did you ever change the timing belt or pump. What mileage ? If the car is in good nick I'd be inclined to fix

The actual line that carries the water from the coolant tank to the engine had broken off, resulting in the coolant simply leaking.

140km on the clock right now.

I had it serviced a few months ago, the car barely used these days. Everything was fine back then, the timing chain hasn't been changed since i've had it (about 3 years.)

The actual line that carries the water from the coolant tank to the engine had broken off, resulting in the coolant simply leaking.

I had it serviced a few months ago, the car barely used these days. Everything was fine back then, the timing chain hasn't been changed since i've had it (about 3 years.)

Ahh ok. I'd be the inclined to get it to a trusted mechanic to see if engine can be saved. It might be just a head gasket and getting head skimmed. Either way if car is in good condition I'd be favouring fix it. But you really need the right mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Same thing happened me with an 04 Astra a number of years back, only 50,000km on the clock. 3k for a new engine and multiple problems thereafter. I'd be inclined to get rid of it if at all possible. Genius design not to put a temp gauge in that model :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get the car looked at by a mechanic, based on the mechanic's opinion on what repair/rebuild or replace work needs done and the cost then make a decision on whether it is money well spent or not. If the engine is truly goosed I'd tend to cut my loses on it.

fullstop wrote: »
    Same thing happened me with an 04 Astra a number of years back, only 50,000km on the clock. 3k for a new engine and multiple problems thereafter. I'd be inclined to get rid of it if at all possible. Genius design not to put a temp gauge in that model :rolleyes:

Temp gauge measures water temp, if no water it's not going to indicate true engine temp anyways

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm aware of a similar situation locally, the engine was swapped out for one from a car that had been broken, the cost of the basic engine (no alternator, A/C Pump, flywheel, gearbox or exhaust manifold) before anything was done to it was €600, and it's not a quick job to take the engine out and swap over the other parts before refitting it. Had to swap the inlet manifold over as some of the connections to sensors were different, so quite a bit of messing on the ground with both engines next to each other. Needs a decent ramp, and a hoist or engine lift of some sort, as it has to come out upwards, or the sub frame has to be removed, which is even more dismantling.

A lot will depend on how much damage has been done to the engine when it overheated. That will need someone who knows the range well to analyse it and see what is actually happening now when it's cranked.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement