Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart heating systems query

• 09-10-2016 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭

I have a basic set of the following.

1.Oil fired boiler with a 7 day timer switch with 3 programmes. Which is programmed to come on twice a day. Plain old rads.

2. An immersion switch with bath/sink on/off switch. Which is used only in summer when the heating is off to heat the water.

I have read that a nest etc won't save me any money because my heating isn't on all day. I already have my savings as I have a programmable timer.

Any sort of smart heating upgrade that could save money in the long run. I like the idea of being able to switch on the heat remotely but keeping my 7 day timer option.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have a climote Remote timer. Got it free from airtricity a month or so ago. It does everything that you want inc 7 day. Downside is that they charge you 30 or 40 euro to use the remote app

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have a climote Remote timer. Got it free from airtricity a month or so ago. It does everything that you want inc 7 day. Downside is that they charge you 30 or 40 euro to use the remote app

Is that a once off payment?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wearb wrote: »
    Is that a once off payment?

Per year. Timer will work perfectly but to control it by phone wont work without paying. There could be other makes that don't charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Eph controls have a new remote system that basically you can control your standard 3 channel clock from your phone. You can adjust the room stats too but you can't adjust the cylinder stat, but then again why would u want to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Per year. Timer will work perfectly but to control it by phone wont work without paying. There could be other makes that don't charge

Yes there are lots that don't have ongoing charges.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

irishgeo wrote: »

1.Oil fired boiler with a 7 day timer switch with 3 programmes. Which is programmed to come on twice a day. Plain old rads.

2. An immersion switch with bath/sink on/off switch. Which is used only in summer when the heating is off to heat the water.

I have read that a nest etc won't save me any money because my heating isn't on all day. I already have my savings as I have a programmable timer.

Any sort of smart heating upgrade that could save money in the long run. I like the idea of being able to switch on the heat remotely but keeping my 7 day timer option.

Any suggestions?

Nest can save you money as it'll keep the heating off in you are not home.

Do you have a thermostat or fire the heating just come on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Any suggestions?

Is the timer just controlling time, or is it aware of temperature too? (e.g. do you have separate thermostat)
    That could be an improvement (if the former) - having a time schedule with a temp setpoint, so at night you can have a setback temp of say 17C, in the morning it could be 19C, setback to 17C during the day when people wokring, and then 20C for the evening when people are relaxing...
    You can also get programmers that bear in mind the desired temp setpoint, and optimise the boiler start time so that it will hit the setpoint to meet it (e.g. in the depths of winter, the boiler might need to come on at 5.30 to reach desired setpoint for 7, whereas in spring it might only need to run for 20mins to hit setpoint)
    ted1 wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Nest can save you money as it'll keep the heating off in you are not home.

Do you have a thermostat or fire the heating just come on ?

ted1 is thinking same direction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

looking at getting a heating controls upgrade grant.

1. put thermostats on the rads and make a upstairs and downstairs section.
    2. separate the immersion and the heating.

anyone know if i got and seai grant for wall insulation , can i get another one for heating controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Yes. Although you can only claim the fifty quid for the BER very once (and you'll need a BER cert after both the insulation and the heating controls if they're done a different times)
    Nice way to deal with it is to negotiate the price of the second BEr very from the same surveyor when you're doing the first - it should be way for them to redo a second time

Advertisement