Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good to know before you use cartell report

• 09-10-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I just wanted to give you a heads-up, since had I known this before buying a report from them, most probably I wouldn't.

If you want to buy a report just to confirm the mileage, and everything else is secondary to that, you should know that their database may not have ANY records on that vehicle. Even though this fact alone won't raise any eyebrows, it's worth noting that you find out about this only after you've paid for the report and have it in front of you. You will not be informed of such possibility beforehand.
    Since I was mainly interested in confirming the mileage (which was extremely low for a van) I was pretty angry about this, but there's more.
    Before you are asked to pay for the report you chose, cartell asks you for the current mileage on the vehicle. In other words, I have paid not only for the information that was advertised, but non-existent, but also for the privilege of updating their database, which they will end up making money on.

Keep that in mind to avoid disappointment. I'm not sure if it's the same deal with other car history check websites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If someone overtakes me in traffic in. 151 can I look up their car and then put a mill age of 200k on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

If they take mileage readings from anyone, how reliable is their database anyway. You should check the mileage by going through the service history and call the garages to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bartpabicz

@Patww79 True, the rest of the report was pretty informative (if still incomplete in my case)
    @Tigger I'm not sure if this procedure applies to every car you check or only those which have no mileage history. Also, IIRC, you need to have the vin number of the vehicle in question.
    @rocky I think they use the National Mileage Register information (which, by the way, belongs to cartell :) ), but it apparently is also updated by some car dealers and maybe other, more official sources as well (not sure on that). Either way, it doesn't seem very solid, but sometimes, when buying a car/van with only a logbook with it and from a trader, it may be the only lead you've got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

It's like when motorcheck were looking for info on here from stolen car threads. Wouldn't comment when it was mentioned how questionable it was gathering information through that means and how the information would be used. Nothing to stop a made up story getting there really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement