Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the best motorshow? Paris, Turin, Frankfurt...

• 09-10-2016 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in attending a big European motorshow and want to know what's a good one to attend.

I attended Earl's Court years ago and enjoyed it. I know the UK and Dutch shows folded following the crash. What's the difference between the shows? I understand that Paris and Frankfurt has already passed this year but the Brussels show is coming up in January. My thoughts regarding the Belgian shows might be Mickey Mouse in comparison to the others.

My interests would be more on new models and concept cars and less on motorsport and modification.

Edit: Yikes, a quick check on Wikipedia shows that the Turin show hasn't been held since 2000 and the Italian show is now held in Bologna. Feeling old and outdated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Geneva always seemed to have a good handful of 1st showings of prototypes/new models. That maybe me that thinks that though. But Its one I head to if I was I feeling flush.

If wasn't restricted to Europe love to do SEMA in Las Vegas or the New York one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Thanks, the Geneva show is this coming March, so I might take a look at that as possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

boombang wrote: »
    Thanks, the Geneva show is this coming March, so I might take a look at that as possibility.

+1 for Geneva. As it's neutral, it's not dominated by French or German manufacturers.
    Size wise, Frankfurt is the biggest by far but it can be daunting. Geneva is a nice, compact affair and can be done comfortably in one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Essen is excellent, fly to Düsseldorf, train or taxi to Essen.
    Stay in motel one Essen overlooking the Christmas market and enjoy beers, mulled wine and nice food. A really enjoyable weekend.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The website of the Essen show looks a bit too motorsporty for me. I think Geneva might be just the ticket if I can find an affordable way to do it. I remember the heat of the Earl's Court show with all the lights. I remember thinking, next time I'm doing this in shorts and t-shirt with litres and litres of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've been to the Frankfurt IAA last year and I can recommend it - it's BIG, so plan a couple of days or you'll miss out. Also, it's very crowded and some of the stands have queues to get in (I never bothered with the Audi pavilion with a queue several "turns" outside, but I did queue 1h 30' to climb onboard the Giulia Quadrifoglio :D).

It's bang on in the city centre and about 10-15 minutes walk from the train station, so you have plenty of choice for accommodation, food and so on - there's even a shopping centre right in front of the main entrance/exit of the grounds. Frankfurt is also a city worth seeing with it contrast between the modern, skyscraper filled area and the old-style burg; On top of that, due to the international banking nature of the area, a lot of people in shops, restaurants etc. speak good English.

The "car" show is actually held every second year as it alternates with its own "commercial vehicles" edition - so next time will be 2017.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The "car" show is actually held every second year as it alternates with its own "commercial vehicles" edition - so next time will be 2017.

Thanks for the description in general. Very helpful. I'm torn between a show that offers everything you might like to see vs the endurance required for such a behemoth.

Thanks especially for the nugget quoted above. I can't imagine my disappointment if I arrived at an international commercial vehicle show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

boombang wrote: »
    Thanks for the description in general. Very helpful. I'm torn between a show that offers everything you might like to see vs the endurance required for such a behemoth.

Thanks especially for the nugget quoted above. I can't imagine my disappointment if I arrived at an international commercial vehicle show.

Well, unless you're on the market to get yourself a nice new bus or lorry :D

The show is very well organized, there are exhibits from just about any corner of the automotive industry you can imagine and most of the stands are fairly impressive.

Another important thing is that Frankfurt is a relatively affordable place (which contrasts with the amount of money flowing in the city, if you get there you'll know what I mean!); I paid something like 100 Euro for the return flights, and 70 Euro for a night in a three-star hotel no more than 10 minutes away from the IAA venue.

Thanks HellRaiser,

That sounds like a relatively affordable trip away. I can imagine Geneva might be a bit of sting and an expensive place to get to.

My chief memory of Earl's Court was that it was black with people (FF sounds the same) and even though I think I was only 15 at the time I made a vow to only attend on a weekday. In that respect Geneva might work for Thursday/Friday of Patrick's weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Been to Geneva motor show three times.

Flights from Dublin to Geneva are relatively cheap, tickets for entry are insignificant (around a tenner) and the salon is within walking distance of Arrivals at the airport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement