Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sink Bath cold water take off point?

• 09-10-2016 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Cold water for the bath and sink comes from the header tank, thats the obvious bit.

The header tank feeds the bottom of the hot water cylinder, where along that run do you take off cold water for the cold taps?

I'm replacing our hot water cylinder and cold was taken off just before the cold water from the header tank went into the HWC. I was wondering if the connection should be made higher up so its impossible to run the HWC dry and hence keep the immersion element covered in water at all times.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this?

Edit> I really am over thinking this as after posting I then thought I need the tank to drain slightly from the cold to make it easier to change the immersion element.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 decmeister

the cold water to the hwc should be stand alone?
    the cold water to the bathroom and house in general should be totally seperate
    so you need to drain the tank and take a seperate connection
    the cold feed to the cylinder always goes in the bottom and the hot comes out the top
    which keeps the cylinder full at all times. this keeps your coil and immersion safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

decmeister wrote: »
    the cold water to the hwc should be stand alone?
    the cold water to the bathroom and house in general should be totally seperate
    so you need to drain the tank and take a seperate connection

So are you suggesting that the cold water supply for the sink and bath taps should come from a separate connection to the header tank? One connection from the header tank to the HWC and another one to the cold taps?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 decmeister

yes thats the proper way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

my3cents wrote:
    So are you suggesting that the cold water supply for the sink and bath taps should come from a separate connection to the header tank? One connection from the header tank to the HWC and another one to the cold taps?

Separate hot & cold from attic tank gives you double the water pressure when filling the bath, running the shower or even just filling wash basin with hot & cold water at the same time.
    Still see plenty of older houses with a single feed from the tank

Thats great. Apart from adding a take off from the header tank which is no big deal, I even have the fitting handy, it saves me making 3 joints in a really awkward location at the back of the HWC.

• Advertisement

One other question, re: expansion pipe. Is there a particular size requirement for the expansion pipe out the top of the HWC? Currently its is 3/4" and it would be easier for me to run it straight up and over the header tank in 1/2" is that OK?

Edit> The tank is only heated by an immersion heater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

my3cents wrote: »
    One other question, re: expansion pipe. Is there a particular size requirement for the expansion pipe out the top of the HWC? Currently its is 3/4" and it would be easier for me to run it straight up and over the header tank in 1/2" is that OK?

No leave it 3/4"

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    No leave it 3/4"

Fine, but I can't leave the original pipe as its obviously on its second or third life. Its been bent in every direction and back again + a couple of unnecessary joints. I'll have to use a right angle compression fitting at the top as I can't bend 180 in 3/4" with just a bending spring.

Advertisement