Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFI at home

Options
  • 09-10-2016 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello,
    I live in Cork City. I would like to install internet at home (I do not have a landline phone yet). What should I do? How much does it cost monthly, more or less?
    Actually, I do not need the phone whatsoever. I would like to just have my internet connection for my laptop 24h/7.
    Is that possible?!
    Is there any way to install internet without the phone? Maybe a USB?!
    Is there any WIFI router that do not require the phone cable?!
    What about AirWave?!

Thank you,
    loveireland94

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Enquire with Vodafone or Eir or Virgin, the place only needs a phone line which it surely will, no need for the actual phone.

Monthly cost is normally around the 40 euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could just get a dongle of VF or Three

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://switcher.ie/broadband/packages/#/sort_by=monthly_cost&region_id=5&place_id=824

Magnet (not sure if they're any good - never used them) or Virgin Media (excellent broadband) look like good options esp. if you want a 12 month contract.

For wireless bb, have a look at Imagine.ie...again, not sure how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Hello,
    I live in Cork City. I would like to install internet at home (I do not have a landline phone yet). What should I do? How much does it cost monthly, more or less?
    Actually, I do not need the phone whatsoever. I would like to just have my internet connection for my laptop 24h/7.
    Is that possible?!
    Is there any way to install internet without the phone? Maybe a USB?!
    Is there any WIFI router that do not require the phone cable?!
    What about AirWave?!

Thank you,
    loveireland94

A dongle is the easiest way. I have an I.D. broadband dongle from Car phone warehouse. I get 25gig for 15 Euro a month.
    I use it in West Cork and am getting 4 G reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'm using a 4G dongle available (ebay) for about e35 and e20 a month for unlimited data from 3. Speeds between 10-30 Mbps, probably better in a city. My dongle can take an external antenna, and theoretically get 150Mbps. If you need more than one device connected at a time, try tethering to an Android phone, or you can get a 3G router that will take a SIM. Some routers can take a dongle too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 loveireland94

I'm using a 4G dongle available (ebay) for about e35 and e20 a month for unlimited data from 3

Hello bonzodog2,
    Thank you a lot for your answer. Where can I buy this dongle? Only on the Internet?

- - - - - - -
    Speeds between 10-30 Mbps
    Is 30Mbps fast?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hello bonzodog2,
    Thank you a lot for your answer. Where can I buy this dongle? Only on the Internet?

In a Three shop I'd imagine
    Is 30Mbps fast?!

For general surfing, YouTube, Netflix etc it'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Hello bonzodog2,

- - - - - - -

Is 30Mbps fast?!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Huawei-E3372h-153-M150-2-150Mbps-LTE-4G-3G-Mobile-USB-Modem-stick-dongle-/122009963641?hash=item1c685c4c79:g:-4MAAOSwzJ5XWFud
    is like the one I got, but I paid less.
    edit: this one is a little cheaper
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Unlocked-Huawei-E3372-USB-Stick-Mobile-150Mbps-Cat4-LTE-4G-3G-USB-Modem-Dongle-/201465962511?hash=item2ee84ea00f:g:AlkAAOSweuxWRGEc
    Is 30Mbps fast?!

Well its not as fast as some fixed line ISPs offer, but it depends on your needs I guess. If you had a load of teens with noses buried in iPads streaming stuff the whole time....
    Sometimes I use a 3g modem which only has a max of 7.2, and I might get 5-6 from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

With Virgin you don't need a phoneline as it's cable. Definitely worth a look. A lot of the newer apartment building will be hooked up to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

daphil wrote: »
    A dongle is the easiest way. I have an I.D. broadband dongle from Car phone warehouse. I get 25gig for 15 Euro a month.
    I use it in West Cork and am getting 4 G reception.

Hi where in w cork and what speeds are you getting is it reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement