Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAB EVOSTA circulating pump?

• 09-10-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My grunfos alpha+ died today so a local suppliers had a DAB evosta pump in stock.

Fitted and running fine.

My question, I have it set to run at max speed setting because we have a 2500 sq ft house and the pump is located in the garage 25ft from the house and the hot water tank is upstairs in the house.

How do I calculate what setting to leave it on ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi,

My grunfos alpha+ died today so a local suppliers had a DAB evosta pump in stock.

Fitted and running fine.

My question, I have it set to run at max speed setting because we have a 2500 sq ft house and the pump is located in the garage 25ft from the house and the hot water tank is upstairs in the house.

How do I calculate what setting to leave it on ?

Leave it set to modulating. See if everything heats ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Leave it set to modulating. See if everything heats ok.

Hi dtp thanks for the reply , how do I set it to modulating?

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi dtp thanks for the reply , how do I set it to modulating?

Not too familiar with the pump. Check the manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It's when the one with the curve is lit rather than the straight line part.

It only has 3 positions for fixed.

6 for modulation.

You just keep pressing the button to go through the positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

How old was the Grundfos Alpha pump ?

Just wondering as they are a relatively new pump and i would not expect one to of stopped working already.

• Advertisement

How old was the Grundfos Alpha pump ?

Just wondering as they are a relatively new pump and i would not expect one to of stopped working already.

Installed and in full time use sInce 2007

corkgsxr wrote: »

6 for modulation.

Cheers, I have it on the straight line at max speed.

The condensing oil boiler seem to be running more during for the hour the system is timed on for than with the Grundfos .

Although I could be wrong as I never paid too much attention.

On the plus side the rads seem hotter.

Would there be any harm leaving it on that setting?

Would the burner guzzle more oil?

Our usage is:

We run the heating in winter for 1.5 hour in the morning and the same in the evening

In summer it's 1 hour in the morning to heat the hot water for the days use with all other zones off.

Burning about 1200 to 1400 litres per annum on a grant condensing oil burner.

I'd leave it on modulating. My thought on it is alot of the power is used to get the water moving. Keeping it moving needs less power so it can modulate down.

So saves power even in a unzoned system with no thermostatic heads.

I'd leave it on modulating. My thought on it is alot of the power is used to get the water moving. Keeping it moving needs less power so it can modulate down.

I'll give that a go so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'd question the logic behind this - if there's no zones or TRVs, the pressure should stay stable? What's the value of modulating - the pressure differential won't change...

OP: Is your system zoned, or with TRVs? If so, modulation makes perfect sense.

Otherwise, your boiler should in theory have a flow rate requirement in the manual you can match...with a bit of overhead to account for system losses

• Advertisement

What size is the boiler and how many rads?

Dardania wrote: »
    I'd question the logic behind this - if there's no zones or TRVs, the pressure should stay stable? What's the value of modulating - the pressure differential won't change...

Otherwise, your boiler should in theory have a flow rate requirement in the manual you can match...with a bit of overhead to account for system losses

It's like pushing a pushing a car most of the effort is getting it moving. Once it's moving it's much easyer to keep it moving.

Same with water. Getting it up to speed might require 100 Wats but keeping it going might only be 40.

It's like pushing a pushing a car most of the effort is getting it moving. Once it's moving it's much easyer to keep it moving.

Same with water. Getting it up to speed might require 100 Wats but keeping it going might only be 40.

I do agree with you - but it doesn't justify modulation.
    A normal pump accounts for the startup torque to overcome the inertia of the water by having a high current draw until it is up to speed. It's why one would tend to put C curve breakers supplying a pump rather than a B rated one, to account for the few seconds of startup.
    Does the set point for the pump change during startup - surely it tries to achieve a constant pressure (I guess off pump pressure)?

I do agree with you - but it doesn't justify modulation.
    A normal pump accounts for the startup torque to overcome the inertia of the water by having a high current draw until it is up to speed. It's why one would tend to put C curve breakers supplying a pump rather than a B rated one, to account for the few seconds of startup.
    Does the set point for the pump change during startup - surely it tries to achieve a constant pressure (I guess off pump pressure)?

You can only buy modulating pumps now so why not leave it in modulating setting. If it cuts down how bad if it doesn't it's cost ya nothing.

For what it's worth tho iv see modulating pumps drop down to 14watts not long after startup.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What size is the boiler and how many rads?

17 rads , grant boiler not sure of spec now and I'm away from home so can't check ..

Just two zones ( upstairs and downstairs ) and a hot water zone I guess. Three valves controlled open or closed by thermostats. One for each zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RJF

6 for modulation.

Sorry lads, the one with the curve lit is for fixed curve speed setting.
    The one with the straight line lit is for the six proportional differential speed settings (modulating).
    I'm afraid ye had it backwards.:)

RJF wrote: »
    The one with the straight line lit is for the six proportional differential speed settings (modulating).

While it goes against everything the Internet stands for your right. I read it wrong.

RJF wrote: »

While it goes against everything the Internet stands for your right. I read it wrong.

duty_calls.png
    ?

Advertisement