Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple backup problem

Options
  • 09-10-2016 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just got an SE and I want to use a backed up version of my old iphone 4 that I backed up on my macbook through itunes, but I havent a clue what the password is. I have gone through every incarnation of every password Ive used but with no joy. I can't even change my password without the old one.
    If i backed up the iphone 4 again on a different machine in work would I then be able to get around this issue? Or is there a way of requesting a change of password through my apple id login and used email?

any ideas? as I have the old phone still all I want to do is copy everything over to the new phone... theres over 30gs of stuff on it and I'll be freaked if I have l no way of getting all the videos and photos I have stored on it.
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

What password can you not remember? Usually you can just click a link for forgotten password to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

guil wrote: »
    What password can you not remember? Usually you can just click a link for forgotten password to change it.

It's likely he means the encryption password for the backup of the old phone. If he doesn't remember it, there is no option for resetting it.

OP - There are just two options for you here if you want to set up your SE from a backup of your 4.

1. Remember your encryption password

2. Back up your iPhone 4 to iCloud and set the SE up from that backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It's likely he means the encryption password for the backup of the old phone. If he doesn't remember it, there is no option for resetting it.

OP - There are just two options for you here if you want to set up your SE from a backup of your 4.

1. Remember your encryption password

2. Back up your iPhone 4 to iCloud and set the SE up from that backup

If I go to a different machine and look to back up the 4 on to the machine through itunes will this be a solution? or will I still need to source the original encryption code? Its a strange one as I only backed up the phone about 2 weeks ago and dont remember having to enter an encryption password... I've also entered every password that I have used for the past 5-6 years and none of them have worked.
    If i back up through icloud, ive never used it before, will I have to purchase space on a temporary basis so I can bring everything across to my SE?
    Thanks for the advice and support so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If I go to a different machine and look to back up the 4 on to the machine through itunes will this be a solution? or will I still need to source the original encryption code? Its a strange one as I only backed up the phone about 2 weeks ago and dont remember having to enter an encryption password... I've also entered every password that I have used for the past 5-6 years and none of them have worked.
    If i back up through icloud, ive never used it before, will I have to purchase space on a temporary basis so I can bring everything across to my SE?
    Thanks for the advice and support so far.

Okay to touch on a few of your points:

1. If you backup to another computer, the backup is still encrypted and it's still the same password. The encryption is on the iPhone itself not the specific computer.

2. You might have done a backup two weeks ago and there was no need to enter the password or it didn't ask you to choose one. This is because you chose to encrypt it probably a long time before that and every backup after that will go through fine but remain encrypted, regardless of the computer you're backing up to.

More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT205220

3. Yes, you will have to purchase a month of 50GB iCloud storage for 99 cent to be able to backup your phone if it won't fit into the 5GB free storage you get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's so long since I used iTunes to restore a backup, but is this not just the OP's Apple ID password it's looking for? Or does iTunes ask you to create a separate password for encrypted backups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

sorted chaps. Thanks for the help. For some reason it accepted a password that I have been trying all day...

Advertisement