Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will 25's fit?

Options
  • 09-10-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-virtuoso-road-bike-2015

I'm thinking of putting 25's on this bike. There doesn't look to be a lot of clearance to me though.

Is there a big difference size wise between 23's and 25's.

I currently have gatorskins on but considering schwable marathon plus.

Thought someone might have the bike or know someone with one that could help.

Worst case scenario is I check with lbs.

Thanks

Ps... your beautiful pics on your cycles inspired me back on the bike after a year away from it this weekend.

I did roughly 25k today. I stopped to do more running but looking for less impact now I think I'll give the bike another go.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

25s should fit no problem. Personally I'd go for Durano plus over Marathon plus. Good puncture resistance, decent grip in the wet and better rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Is there a big difference size wise between 23's and 25's.

I currently have gatorskins on but considering schwable marathon plus.....
    I can't answer your question but just be aware that Marathon Plus 25's are much wider than other brand 25's. I know that doesn't really make sense but in my experience they are as wide as 28's in other brands.

smacl wrote: »
    ....Personally I'd go for Durano plus over Marathon plus. Good puncture resistance, decent grip in the wet and better rolling.
    I'll second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Kudos for throwing the leg back over. Fair play🚴ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

smacl wrote: »
    25s should fit no problem. Personally I'd go for Durano plus over Marathon plus. Good puncture resistance, decent grip in the wet and better rolling.
    I'll second that.

Cheers for the suggestion lads. Hadn't thought about those tbh.
    Luxman wrote: »
    Kudos for throwing the leg back over. Fair play🚴ðŸ»

Have to keep at it now though. The last couple of years I've fell back into running as I'm more comfortable with it. Can't deal with the impact anymore though.

I need to just through myself into the cycling a bit more. Buy a small amount of cycling gear (in Aldi/Lidl sales if I can) and most importantly I'm going to finally bite the bullet (get over my fear) and get cleats etc.. and a new set of tyres. I find the gatorskins fine in dry but a little scary in the wet/damp.

If I do enough in the next couple of months I might justify a new bike purchase next year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have Continental Grand Prix 4000s II, 700 X25 on a set of wheels. I have Vittoria Rubino Pros, 700 X 25, on an identical set of wheels. The Continentals are taller and wider than the Vittorias.
    So, different makes, even though they're nominally the same size, vary quite a bit.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have Continental Grand Prix 4000s II, 700 X25 on a set of wheels. I have Vittoria Rubino Pros, 700 X 25, on an identical set of wheels. The Continentals are taller and wider than the Vittorias.
    So, different makes, even though they're nominally the same size, vary quite a bit.

I think I'll end up going to the lbs to make sure they do fit. Don't want to buy a set off the internet and find out they don't fit.

Probably no harm in fairness. They might help me fit them too. I'm terrified of the day I get a puncture and have to change a tyre at the side of the road. :o

My gatorskins haven't punctured once! ....I know i shouldn't have said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Just as a general observation, unless you're talking about an aero frame most road bikes should, in my experience at least, take 25c tyres (with the exception of perhaps Marathon Plus based on the comments here) without too much issue, and that frame is not an aero one :) Within a single make/model of tyre, realistically there should only be 2mm between 23c and 25c, after all. If you were able to get a pic looking through the fork and rear stays with your current 23s people here could probably tell you straight off, tbh.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    In a similar vein - I had Marathon Plus 25 on an old commuting Ridley and they barely fitted. That bike now has 4 Seasons 28's and there is room to spare.

cython wrote: »
    Just as a general observation, unless you're talking about an aero frame most road bikes should, in my experience at least, take 25c tyres (with the exception of perhaps Marathon Plus based on the comments here) without too much issue, and that frame is not an aero one :) Within a single make/model of tyre, realistically there should only be 2mm between 23c and 25c, after all. If you were able to get a pic looking through the fork and rear stays with your current 23s people here could probably tell you straight off, tbh.

I'd say a regular 25 should fit so based on this and other comments.

If I get a chance I'll take a photo but it's in the shed now and no lights there means I'm going to leave it for now.

Ye have given me a good idea though and to be sure I might go the lbs route. A few other things to pick up anyway that I'll want to get from a physical shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have a Thompson R7200 with Shimano 105 groupset but the frame will only take 23 as the clearance is so little with the band on front mech, I haven't tried 25s but Thompson have said they won't have enough clearance.

It is the only downfall of my smashing R7200 tbh. After running 25s all Summer on the TCR I'm pretty disappointed to be going back to 23s.

dahat wrote: »
    I have a Thompson R7200 with Shimano 105 groupset but the frame will only take 23 as the clearance is so little with the band on front mech, I haven't tried 25s but Thompson have said they won't have enough clearance.

It is the only downfall of my smashing R7200 tbh. After running 25s all Summer on the TCR I'm pretty disappointed to be going back to 23s.

I've never been on 25s but I've heard good things on the grip and comfort end of things.

... I'm terrified of the day I get a puncture and have to change a tyre at the side of the road. :o.....
    Would you not practise changing a tube a few times in the comfort of your own home? Bearing in mind that it will be a bit more difficult on a bitterly cold dark wet night.

(I hadn't punctured since February but punctured yesterday and today- both on group rides. It made me very popular!)

Would you not practise changing a tube a few times in the comfort of your own home? Bearing in mind that it will be a bit more difficult on a bitterly cold dark wet night.

(I hadn't punctured since February but punctured yesterday and today- both on group rides. It made me very popular!)

I intend on doing that during the week.

Kinda put off doing it until now hoping beyond hope it didn't happen. I've been lucky so far but it has to run out at some point.

I need to be able to do it and be confident in doing it so I don't end up stranded 30 or 40kms from home.

I've never been on 25s but I've heard good things on the grip and comfort end of things.

Absolutely recommended, very noticeable difference on comfort end of things with slightly lower pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you put up your approximate location someone might be able to let you check with their wheels.

TBH if I was buying a new bike in morning ability to take 28mm tyres with mudguards would be one essential.

Currently riding 28mm gp4000 and they are by a distance the best tyre I've ever used. Bike plus rider currently weigh circa 94kgs and running them at 70/60psi for about 4500km with loads of life left, good grip and comfort. I purposefully seek out quite roads with often appalling surfaces and tyres have been brilliant.

Wide rims also, which effect how tyre fits. I've got from 14/15mm width to 20/21mm width.

It won't matter as much on good surfaces. I should probably try tubeless

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you put up your approximate location someone might be able to let you check with their wheels.

TBH if I was buying a new bike in morning ability to take 28mm tyres with mudguards would be one essential.

Ah I wouldn't ask someone to do that but it's nice to hear that kind of community spirit.

I have a set of raceblades I'm tempted to put back on. Took off due to summer and the look...yes I'm vain. Lol

ford2600 wrote: »

Currently riding 28mm gp4000 and they are by a distance the best tyre I've ever used. Bike plus rider currently weigh circa 94kgs and running them at 70/60psi for about 4500km with loads of life left, good grip and comfort. I purposefully seek out quite roads with often appalling surfaces and tyres have been brilliant.

Wide rims also, which effect how tyre fits. I've got from 14/15mm width to 20/21mm width.

It won't matter as much on good surfaces. I should probably try tubeless

That's a savage low tyre pressure given total weight at 94kgs. I'm running 100 front and 110 rear on 25s with a total weight of 107kgs atm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

dahat wrote: »
    That's a savage low tyre pressure given total weight at 94kgs. I'm running 100 front and 110 rear on 25s with a total weight of 107kgs atm.

I run 100/90 on the old road bike with 25s with a total weight of 96k, but 70/60 on the cross bike (which is my main bike) on 32s. I find the wider tyres at lower pressure make for a far more pleasurable cycling and suit crappy road surfaces very well. A bit slower maybe, but then I'm rarely in any hurry.

Advertisement