Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delete photos on phone, keep on iCloud

Options
  • 09-10-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Is there any way to permantely delete photos from my phone but keep them on my cloud or any cloud like OneDrive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

Upload to onedrive on a PC. Delete from photos app.

Or better yet - download Google photos app, sync from photos and then remove them from stock photos app.

Can't with iCloud though. It's more of a syncing service as oooosed to a backup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you enable "Optimise iPhone Storage" in iCloud Photo Library it will store full resolution copies in the cloud but only download them to your phone as necessary and erase them again when you need that space. I think this is a much better option, but if you prefer to manually manage your storage and want all effective free space to be really free and not purgeable then this isn't for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You only get 5GB with iCloud. So you are likely to have more than that on your phone. So if you want to use iCloud you'll probably have to buy more space.

Things like Dropbox or OneDrive will give you more space for free. I find them a bit easier. I use iCloud to back up the iPhone and data, and something else for the photos and video's.

Why not try them and see what you like. Some people are happy to pay for extra space on iCloud and keep everything with Apple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can get 50GB of iCloud storage for only 12 euro a year. For me anyway that's worth the integration.

I haven't tried OneDrive, but I'm in the process of switching away from Dropbox. A lot of security and performance concerns have been raised about their Mac app recently. I suspect it's been the cause of sleep wake failures and overall poor performance on my MBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Have one drive on my phone and the app on windows 10 laptop. It downloads to photos app but I have deleted a photo or two from my phone and it also deletes from photo app on the pc? I'm confused at this stage as I should be able to keep them with OneDrive cloud when deleting from phone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Have one drive on my phone and the app on windows 10 laptop. It downloads to photos app but I have deleted a photo or two from my phone and it also deletes from photo app on the pc? I'm confused at this stage as I should be able to keep them with OneDrive cloud when deleting from phone??
    Onedrive does not operate this way. You must be deleting them from the actual OD storage as opposed to your camera roll. It's not possible for it to work the way you suggest.

Advertisement