Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moldova vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifier, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1, KO 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not as rosy as you might think.

You couldn't ask for much more after 3 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Ended up a decent result. If we went about the job right though it should've been about 4-0 and much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

SlickRic wrote: »
    If anyone thinks the term 'brainless' is personal, they can do one.

It's obvious it refers to how he thinks, or doesn't, when he's on the ball. It's got nothing to do generally with how smart he is. Obviously.

You're confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I think we could remove Whelan and put O'Shea in the centre of a back 3.

Remove both and look to blood in some guys who will be around if we do qualify (big if).

• SlickRic wrote: »
    Fair play to him. But he was utterly wasteful for the majority of the game. As was Whelan for instance.

Am I going to say Whelan played well because he positioned himself well once or twice in front of the back 4? Or he played a couple of forward passes that resulted in chances. Fúck no.

Goals are the easiest way for a player to get off the hook. It's hilarious. No other act on the field seems to change a fan's opinion of a performance quicker.

If we want to pretend McClean was awesome, then great. Why analyse the game or performance of the team at all?

I'm delighted with the 3 points. But the general performance by the team was awful. Just terrible.
    Let's put this in perspective if you really want to go there
    I never ever once said he was awesome
    What he did do was score two goals to win us the game when it mattered the most
    Goals v performances?
    Who gives a **** unless you can deliver when it matters
    He delivered a result along with Coleman and Hoolahan
    Look at the big players? They can play ****e for 87 minutes and still get heaps of praise of they score the winner
    That act you talk about is what wins games simple as

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Really?? I like him as a pundit. Direct, good insight, can be entertaining too.

Seems nervous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Moldova will takes points from other teams at home,can't not be happy with result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'd love a few more players to come through. Any potential there? Hopefully Harry Arter sticks with us, he's been playing very well the last couple seasons. We need a decent wide man though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

edgecutter wrote: »
    A lot of posters would rather see O'Shea play instead, but we need to think about the future and persist with Duffy. He still needs to up his game.

What about Keogh? I think he deserves a place at CB.

O dowda played well when he was on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

What about Keogh? I think he deserves a place at CB.

Never thought about him, he could also do a job.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Ended up a decent result. If we went about the job right though it should've been about 4-0 and much more comfortable.

God almighty guys we won by two clear goals and are joint top of the group... Honest to god we're a hard bunch to please. I can remember many games where we'd end up drawing or even losing a game like that.
    Some of ye need to have a serious word with yourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Moldova will takes points from other teams at home,can't not be happy with result.

Bar Georgia, I seriously doubt it. They are very very poor.

O Neills a mad man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Austria, Wales and Serbia are definitely all more talented than us in my opinion.

But hey, so were Germany, Scotland and Poland too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

MON fighting with TOD again!

Austria is big game, win it and we have a great chance

Oh if we win that we are on the pigs back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I'd love a few more players to come through. Any potential there? Hopefully Harry Arter sticks with us, he's been playing very well the last couple seasons. We need a decent wide man though.

Would like to see more of O Dowda,he looks like he can play a bit

Hope Hourihane keeps up his form as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

edgecutter wrote: »
    Remove both and look to blood in some guys who will be around if we do qualify (big if).

If we qualify I have no doubt O'Shea will be around for the World Cup. His contract with Sunderland runs until Summer, even if he finishes at club I think many would still want him to go to Russia

MON fighting with TOD again!

What his funking problem with Tony?

• Advertisement

Oh Martin, not a time for more passive aggresion. It doesn't come off well at all, you should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

The way O'neill talks to Tony is very annoying.
    The tone of the voice. Its painful to listen to.

Reminds me of a school teacher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Oh if we win that we are on the pigs back

Better use a good harness because that pig will be a-flyin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If we qualify I have no doubt O'Shea will be around for the World Cup. His contract with Sunderland runs until Summer, even if he finishes at club I think many would still want him to go to Russia

Nobody should want a retired league player.

Oh Martin, not a time for more passive aggresion. It doesn't come off well at all, you should know better.

Ah he would want to cop himself on a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You could sell tickets to a Martin/Tony post match interview.

Anyone know why O'Neill goes mad at Tony?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Austria, Wales and Serbia are definitely all more talented than us in my opinion.

But hey, so were Germany, Scotland and Poland too! :)

Means jack shít if they dont get more points and/or better goal difference on the board then us.

If we are courageous and ambitious we can win this group

You could sell tickets to a Martin/Tony post match interview.

Cringefest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Darragh's a dope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Did we beat the made up country from the Princess Diaries???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

In fairness I don't think it's specifically Tony. MON is clearly not a man who enjoys explaining himself to anyone.

Tonys the pwnmaster:cool:

There ya go wes! A huge fvcking glass vase!

Enjoy.

Oh its half empty :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

enzo roco wrote: »
    The way O'neill talks to Tony is very annoying.
    The tone of the voice. Its painful to listen to.

Reminds me of a school teacher!

Tony tends to be pretty fair in his questions and at least reasonable in how he asks.
    O'Neill responds as if he was having to defend himself against a Sky interviewer trying to rile him up. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

mansize wrote: »
    Did we beat the made up country from the Princess Diaries???

No mate. We beat Moldova. Think the Princess Diaries you're reading aren't realistic.

They should do what Sky do,have the panel and the presenter interview the manager after the game

Be some laugh id say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Means jack shít if they dont get more points and/or better goal difference on the board then us.

If we are courageous and ambitious we can win this group

Ireland have played one game from 6 against Wales, Austria and Serbia.
    Im not confident about winning the group.
    We have three very hard away games, in Wales, Austria and Georgia. Would love 5+ points but I fear we wil get less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We beat a glorified pub team. Going into this match Moldova's record read 0 goals, 7 conceded in 2 games. They will almost certainly finish bottom and lose to all our main rivals.

Listening to some on here going on is like listening to a sixth year bragging that he beat up a first year (having had his nose bloodied in the process).

They should do what Sky do,have the panel and the presenter interview the manager after the game

Be some laugh id say :D

With the likes of Dunphy it would be absolute carnage. Id imagine the three boys tonight would have some smarts about them and not be too hard with the line of questioning without going to BBC levels of cringe w@nkery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

big problem at centre back, Duffy is useless. doesn't fill me with any confidence anytime I've seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Richie Sadlier looking after his mates at RTE. Just called MON thin skinned - lol. Pathetic attempt to get some attention for himself. Sadlier as a pundit cuts a sad and desperate figure.

seems to be improving hasnt scored an og in awhile

We beat a glorified pub team. Going into this match Moldova's record read 0 goals, 7 conceded in 2 games. They will almost certainly finish bottom and lose to all our main rivals.

Listening to some on here going on is like listening to a sixth year bragging that he beat up a first year (having had his nose bloodied in the process).

We also beat Georgia who arguably should have won in Cardiff today. We were unlucky in Belgrade too. Look we're joint top after three games what in the name of god is the issue here? Job done. Conceded a sloppy goal but otherwise we were solid and upped our game when the chips were down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

How many other Irish players other than Wes would've seen that pass to Coleman they ask.

Erm. Anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I think the abuse that McClean got on here was fair and correct. He was clueless for most of the match. Yes he took two goals well but how many other scoring opportunities were lost because of his poor play.

Also for a period of that match we were on the backfoot against a very poor Moldova team, we far from controlled it. The team were chaotic and couldn't string more than two passes together. Only after the third goal did I feel comfortable and then Moldova started to lose their composure.

(btw if McGeedy was playing McClean would have gotten hardly any abuse!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

rob316 wrote: »
    big problem at centre back, Duffy is useless. doesn't fill me with any confidence anytime I've seen him play.

He was brilliant on Thursday.... There's a good player in there, but he needs to get the brainfarts he makes out of his game and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Laois_Man wrote: »
    How many other Irish players other than Wes would've seen that pass to Coleman they ask.

Erm. Anyone

Neither Whelan nor McClean would have been able to look up long enough to see it

SantryRed wrote: »
    He was brilliant on Thursday.... There's a good player in there, but he needs to get the brainfarts he makes out of his game and quick.

Yeah fair point. I think he'll improve though with experience. Look at Ward for example. Clark was every bit as liable for that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We also beat Georgia who arguably should have won in Cardiff today. We were unlucky in Belgrade too. Look we're joint top after three games what in the name of god is the issue here? Job done. Conceded a sloppy goal but otherwise we were solid and upped our game when the chips were down.

The issue is simple: we've been disappointing for every game and we are facing our toughest challenges next in Austria and Wales.

Performing badly and getting results doesn't fill me with confidence when the teams we face next will be much more ruthless in exploiting Ireland's deficiencies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement