Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moldova vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifier, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1, KO 7.45

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Richie Sadlier looking after his mates at RTE. Just called MON thin skinned - lol. Pathetic attempt to get some attention for himself. Sadlier as a pundit cuts a sad and desperate figure.

MON was thin skinned. It wasn't until O'Donoghue started heaping praise on him that he cooled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Richie Sadlier looking after his mates at RTE. Just called MON thin skinned - lol. Pathetic attempt to get some attention for himself. Sadlier as a pundit cuts a sad and desperate figure.

Nonsense.

Oneill has a bad tone with Tony, he has been like that from day 1. Oneill hates the rte panel, and cant take criticism on the chin. He should grow up.

Richie is an excellent pundit, no bull from him.
    Attention for himself??? You are mad in the head!

The issue is simple: we've been disappointing for every game and we are facing our toughest challenges next in Austria and Wales.

Performing badly and getting results doesn't fill me with confidence when the teams we face next will be much more ruthless in exploiting Ireland's deficiencies.

Wales could have the same fears. They looked very vulnerable today. And Austria have lost in Belgrade which a place where we got a draw. Ill say it again in the hope you look at the table. WE ARE JOINT TOP. Yes there is a long way to go but in all honesty we'd have bit hand and all off the gods if they offered us this start before this group started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I was fairly shocked at the commentators talking about how good we were playing in the first half as it was going on. It was a pretty scrappy first half and I don't know what game they were watching. I think Ireland having a fair bit more possession of the ball comes across as something different than it actually is sometimes.

Still, job done just about but levels definitely need to be raised significantly in the next games as we won't be playing against teams with no decent goalscorers forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wales could have the same fears. They looked very vulnerable today. And Austria have lost in Belgrade which a place where we got a draw. Ill say it again in the hope you look at the table. WE ARE JOINT TOP. Yes there is a long way to go but in all honesty we'd have bit hand and all off the gods if they offered us this start before this group started.

Look at more than just the table; look at the performances and the upcoming fixtures.

The best predictor for future behaviour is past behaviour. I don't get your optimism. If we were playing well, that's one thing; but we rode our luck big time against Georgia and tonight made hard work of the likely bottom side in the group. Hardly cause for celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

He is thin-skinned. Don't think you could ever accuse Sadlier of pandering to the payroll.

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH I think the abuse that McClean got on here was fair and correct. He was clueless for most of the match. Yes he took two goals well but how many other scoring opportunities were lost because of his poor play.

Also for a period of that match we were on the backfoot against a very poor Moldova team, we far from controlled it. The team were chaotic and couldn't string more than two passes together. Only after the third goal did I feel comfortable and then Moldova started to lose their composure.

(btw if McGeedy was playing McClean would have gotten hardly any abuse!).

Tbf to McClean he is head and shoulders above McGeady. Limited player but shows the odd burst of passion. McGeady never looked like he even cared, McClean throws himself about and puts in the odd knee shredding tackle.

Brady on the left wing has more ability than either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That panel is light years better than the old boys club.

Tbf to McClean he is head and shoulders above McGeady. Limited player but shows the odd burst of passion. McGeady never looked like he even cared, McClean throws himself about and puts in the odd knee shredding tackle.

Brady on the left wing has more ability than either.

If mcgeady had McCleans attitude he'd be a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Jayop wrote: »

I dont think Henry and Redknapp are that old though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Dunphy must have been out writing his Star column

enzo roco wrote: »
    I dont think Henry and Redknapp are that old though

I'm so sick of dumpy and the boys. Giles for the living legend he is now just sounds like a wind up toy every time he speaks. I swear the newstalk could record one interview at the start of the season and replay it every week because he just says the same things over and over. At least he's gone, but dunphy and Brady need to go too.

Jayop wrote: »

Ah definitely. Dunphy should be left in the pub for these games. Adds nothing anymore if he ever did to begin with. Just a joker and a ranter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Look at more than just the table; look at the performances and the upcoming fixtures.

The best predictor for future behaviour is past behaviour. I don't get your optimism. If we were playing well, that's one thing; but we rode our luck big time against Georgia and tonight made hard work of the likely bottom side in the group. Hardly cause for celebration.

Not forgetting that Ireland were massively lucky against Serbia. There was that one instance where a forward of theirs had virtually an open goal, and he was so surprised, almost, to find himself in that position that he fluffed his chance in the end. Ireland were absolutely lucky to get the results they did against Serbia and Georgia. It's not that I'm not grateful of them - I am - but I would also recognise that Ireland will likely have to actually show up in Vienna, not lump balls long and sit back to absorb pressure. At some stage, Ireland's luck at that game will run out and the recrimination will begin.

Need some of that Euro guile to come in the next three games to really see the team impose itself on this group. C'mon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

briany wrote: »
    Not forgetting that Ireland were massively lucky against Serbia. There was that one instance where a forward of theirs had virtually an open goal, and he was so surprised, almost, to find himself in that position that he fluffed his chance in the end. Ireland were absolutely lucky to get the results they did against Serbia and Georgia. It's not that I'm not grateful of them - I am - but I would also recognise that Ireland will likely have to actually show up in Vienna, not lump balls long and sit back to absorb pressure. At some stage, Ireland's luck at that game will run out and the recrimination will begin.

Need some of that Euro guile to come in the next three games to really see the team impose itself on this group. C'mon!

We seem to play a lot better in the bigger games.I don't think we're comfortable with having to take the game to the opposition.Almost every single good performance we have had in the last 6 or 7 years has been in games we weren't expected to win.

I think we can get a result over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sad if that is the case, he really impressed me in the 2014 WC, but haven't seen much since because for the last number of year I've made a point of not tuning in until kick off, switching away as soon as the final whistle is on, and going on a channel surf during half time. Usually make the WC and Euros an exception since it's on nearly all day or evening, but wasn't in the country for this years ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Looking at the highlights of the Wales game and they should've lost to Georgia, results today show how good our start has been even if the performances haven't been great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Dunphy must have been out writing his Star column

Watching Spain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RoryMac wrote: »
    Looking at the highlights of the Wales game and they should've lost to Georgia, results today show how good our start has been even if the performances haven't been great

Only saw most of the first half and admittedly wasn't glued to it, but it certainly didn't seem the case from what I was watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Billy86 wrote: »
    Only saw most of the first half and admittedly wasn't glued to it, but it certainly didn't seem the case from what I was watching!

Well I only saw the highlights and with 10 mins to go Georgia had a player through on goal 1 on 1 with the keeper and put it inches wide, then a minute later hit the crossbar. Missed another couple of half chances too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

RTE have a serious horn for Hoolahan.

He had a couple of really nice moments in the game and i'd pick him if i was picking the team but it shouldn't be ignored he gave the ball away a lot. Also got dispossessed easily at times and attempted far too many little fancy flicks when the simple ball was the correct option.

I've no problem praising the lad but they're fond of calling a spade a spade with McCarthy and Whelan. They should be calling this to give some balance to the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

We also beat Georgia who arguably should have won in Cardiff today. We were unlucky in Belgrade too. Look we're joint top after three games what in the name of god is the issue here? Job done. Conceded a sloppy goal but otherwise we were solid and upped our game when the chips were down.

The issue is simple: we've been disappointing for every game and we are facing our toughest challenges next in Austria and Wales.

Performing badly and getting results doesn't fill me with confidence when the teams we face next will be much more ruthless in exploiting Ireland's deficiencies.
    I completely agree that we've been disappointing, but those toughest challenges got worse results than we did in the same fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The thing we did in the 2012 and 2016 campaigns that those around us didn't was take 12 points from the bottom two teams - infact we've done this in every campaign since the 2008 qualifiers. Wales have already dropped two points to Georgia, more points will be dropped before the end of this process. Apparently our performances against Cyprus, Georgia, Kazakstan, Faroe Islands, Andorra, Macedonia and now Moldova have been rubbish over the years. I hear it time and time again after these games. And yet we keep getting the results.

Maybe it isn't luck? This squad, and recent versions of it, grind out results against the bottom two seeds in each group time after time. Who gives a **** if it isn't pretty. Scotland ****ed themselves last time out because they couldn't get it done. Wales have made their road tougher tonight. We won.

Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

In fairness I don't think it's specifically Tony. MON is clearly not a man who enjoys explaining himself to anyone.

Tony O'Donoghue is very negative in his questioning. Starting off with "why do we keep losing the lead" after showing good heart and character in the game is just painful and stupid. Nobody is saying we are perfect but O'Neill has every right to get annoyed when O'Donoghue has so much negative to say, even when we win a damn game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

corny wrote: »

He had a couple of really nice moments in the game and i'd pick him if i was picking the team but it shouldn't be ignored he gave the ball away a lot. Also got dispossessed easily at times and attempted far too many little fancy flicks when the simple ball was the correct option.

I've no problem praising the lad but they're fond of calling a spade a spade with McCarthy and Whelan. They should be calling this to give some balance to the debate.

qft.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Tony O'Donoghue is very negative in his questioning. Starting off with "why do we keep losing the lead" after showing good heart and character in the game is just painful and stupid. Nobody is saying we are perfect but O'Neill has every right to get annoyed when O'Donoghue has so much negative to say, even when we win a damn game.

O'Donoghue treated Trappatoni with a complete lack of respect as his reign developed. He tries the same thing and O'Neill puts him in his ****ing box. And rightly so. You can ask the tough questions if you like, but you deserve to be treated with aggression in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The thing we did in the 2012 and 2016 campaigns that those around us didn't was take 12 points from the bottom two teams - infact we've done this in every campaign since the 2008 qualifiers. Wales have already dropped two points to Georgia, more points will be dropped before the end of this process. Apparently our performances against Cyprus, Georgia, Kazakstan, Faroe Islands, Andorra, Macedonia and now Moldova have been rubbish over the years. I hear it time and time again after these games. And yet we keep getting the results.

Maybe it isn't luck? This squad, and recent versions of it, grind out results against the bottom two seeds in each group time after time. Who gives a **** if it isn't pretty. Scotland ****ed themselves last time out because they couldn't get it done. Wales have made their road tougher tonight. We won.

Job done.

good stat from Miguel Delaney :
    Since 2000, Ireland have an average of 2.4 points against the bottom three seeds in groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

SlickRic wrote: »
    If anyone thinks the term 'brainless' is personal, they can do one.

It's obvious it refers to how he thinks, or doesn't, when he's on the ball. It's got nothing to do generally with how smart he is. Obviously.

"personal"

Of course it's not.

But would you say it to his face?

Rhetorical question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Apparently our performances against Cyprus, Georgia, Kazakstan, Faroe Islands, Andorra, Macedonia and now Moldova have been rubbish over the years.

Uh-oh those Stan memories are coming back...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

corny wrote: »

Hoolahan gives the ball away because he attempts creative and adventurous passes which lead to creating chances and created assist today. These passes aren't going to come off all the time but you need to try them if you want to win a game.

Far preferable to 5 yard back and sideway merchants like McCarthy and Whelan. If you relied on them for creativity you'd never win a match.

• Advertisement

O'Donoghue treated Trappatoni with a complete lack of respect as his reign developed. He tries the same thing and O'Neill puts him in his ****ing box. And rightly so. You can ask the tough questions if you like, but you deserve to be treated with aggression in return.

Till the bitter end.....

Job done.

We deserved our 3 points tonight.

We deserved a loss on Thursday.

€1.5m a year is it.

If John Delaney isn't going to ask him a hard question then Tony O'Donoghue is entitled to.

He is asking the questions we all would ask if we had the balls.

€1.5m a year is it.

If John Delaney isn't going to ask him a hard question then Tony O'Donoghue is entitled to.

He is asking the questions we all would ask if we had the balls.

Which he's entitled to do, but O'Neill or anyone else is entitled to answer '**** you' in return when he does. That's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We deserved our 3 points tonight.

We deserved a loss on Thursday.

If we deserved a loss on Thursday we would have lost.

It amazes me people still don't understand this simple logic in football.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    If we deserved a loss on Thursday we would have lost.

It amazes me people still don't understand this simple logic in football.

It amazed you does it?

Does it?

Where you at the match?

It amazed you does it?

Does it?

Where you at the match?

No I wasn't, why you ask?

Which he's entitled to do, but O'Neill or anyone else is entitled to answer '**** you' in return when he does. That's all I'm saying.

Is he?

To our national broadcaster... the main conduit to the supporters of the side,

Or maybe he needs to show some decorum.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    No I wasn't, why you ask?

Your amazement. Where do you hear these opinions you talk about?

• Advertisement

Your amazement. Where do you hear these opinions you talk about?

What?

Im amazed people think that if a team wins a match by scoring more goals that they somehow deserved to loose the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Is he?

To our national broadcaster... the main conduit to the supporters of the side,

Or maybe he needs to show some decorum.

Yeah he pretty much can answer how he likes.

There is far too much ****e about being respectful towards the media.The media couldn't give a fiddlers about the fans or the managers or anybody else so why should the manager care about them.

I couldn't give a toss what any manager says in their pre and post match interviews, the interviews are done for entertainment not for informing the fans.Managers don't tell the truth in most of their media appearances anyway and why should they their job is to win matches not be a spokesman.

If Martin O'Neill wants to tell Tony O'Donoghue to piss off every time they speak then that's fine, his interviews with O'Donoghue are at least interesting which is more than can be said for most pre/post math interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

To be relying on 34 year old Wes Houlihan is a worry

we've a serious shortage of quality players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    we've a serious shortage of quality players

But still people like to have an aul whinge about a team taking 7 points from 3 games, including 2 away games.

The Ireland team is seriously limited in terms of technical ability and talent. O'Neill knows this, and so plays a game that more suits the skillset of the players.

When Ireland go to play the likes of Georgia and Moldova the first thing that needs realising is that these teams, more often than not, are going to view any points won as a good result, so they will set up to stifle good play. The Ireland players are good, but they are not good enough to break down a team intent on parking a bus, or putting more men behind the ball. The best way to approach these games is a good old "batter 'em" mentality - and. It Works.

In games where Ireland are the underdog it's actually easier for those good players to express themselves, they get more room, more space to play in because the better teams first instinct is not to try to stifle Ireland, they can be more relaxed and it's obvious that there are two different styles and mentalities at play here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Look at the rest of the results from last night and realise this.

the so-called "minnows" are getting better.

Wales 1-1 Georgia
    Macedonia 2-3 Italy (injury time winner having been behind until the 75th minute)
    Israel 2-1 Lichtenstein
    Albania 0-2 Spain (no goals until second half, and "only" 2 against Albania)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wales 1-1 Georgia
    Macedonia 2-3 Italy (injury time winner having been behind until the 75th minute)
    Israel 2-1 Lichtenstein

But how many of these teams just went on cruise control and simply did what is needed ?

I can't see Spain for example go all out against Albania. Also, Italy have a history of performing average in qualifiers.

I wouldn't necessarily chalk that up to the small countries becoming better.

• Advertisement

It amazed you does it?

Does it?

Where you at the match?

Top green alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hoolahan gives the ball away because he attempts creative and adventurous passes which lead to creating chances and created assist today. These passes aren't going to come off all the time but you need to try them if you want to win a game.

Far preferable to 5 yard back and sideway merchants like McCarthy and Whelan. If you relied on them for creativity you'd never win a match.

I'm Weso's biggest fan but he didn't give the ball away with creative attempts. He was pretty poor in possession and ran down blind alleys several times leading to being dispossessed. However, you take the good with the bad with Hoolahan, and he was instrumental in the first and third goals. He should be always starting when match fit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

enzo roco wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Oneill has a bad tone with Tony, he has been like that from day 1. Oneill hates the rte panel, and cant take criticism on the chin. He should grow up.

Richie is an excellent pundit, no bull from him.
    Attention for himself??? You are mad in the head!
    Ritchie has a fanclub does he? He's a pathetic pundit. He just chimes in with Dunphy etc., at one time he attempted to stand up to Dunphy but he soon backed down. Hoolahan is a player I like for obvious reasons, still in the 2nd half he lost the ball on numerous occasions, gave possession away. Sadlier will ignore that and blather on in the consensus that keeps his arse sitting on "the panel".

At least Dunphy has a turn of phrase and some journalistic experience and Brady, well he was a very good footballer and continues to be respected in the game, what does Sadlier offer? Nothing. He shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Wales 1-1 Georgia
    Israel 2-1 Lichtenstein

i think defintly the majority of the so called minnows have improved and i think fans do forget this.

I think a worrying thing is these minnows look more comfortable on the ball then Ireland do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ritchie has a fanclub does he? He's a pathetic pundit. He just chimes in with Dunphy etc......... what does Sadlier offer? Nothing. He shouldn't be there.

Really? I have to say Sadlier strikes me as honest and intelligent. I won't see that I agree with everything that he says but he does seem to make sense most of the time but maybe I'm in the minority here?

I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't belong on the panel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement