Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moldova vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifier, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1, KO 7.45

Comments

Job done.

If it's a results based game, well Austria and Wales should be jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Coleman shoulda got MOTM

• Huge result in the context of the group
    MccLean loves playing for Ireland
    Get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

RTE have misspelled McClean on the scoresheet as McLean.

I am outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    My saorview box went so I missed the 2nd goal

Missed the 3rd goal looking for a fuse :(

Cheapskate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Jayop wrote: »
    Some of ye in here would want to have a look at yourselves. Some supporters.

Why? What was wrong?

If it is about McClean, he was poor regardless of the two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

edgecutter wrote: »
    Why? What was wrong?

How dare we criticise players playing below par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Duff begins to speak. <reaches for remote>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Why? What was wrong?

Constant abuse and derision of a player who gives everything. Way worse players every time he plays but he gets singled out for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Fair play Duffer!

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    RTE have misspelled McClean on the scoresheet as McLean.

I am outraged!

That's actually pretty amateur.

I mean, he's no Keen or Hendrix but he deserves to have his name spelled correctly by our national broadcaster...

• edgecutter wrote: »
    Why? What was wrong?

Lol
    Poor bar two vital goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Austria really have to beat us now to stay in touch and we don't have a good record against them. November 12th is going to be massive and that central defensive pairing needs to be changed around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Wes MOM, Yeah Baby

Dunphy_zpsvgsiacle.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Why? What was wrong?

Constant abuse and derision of a player who gives everything. Way worse players every time he plays but he gets singled out for some strange reason.

For me it's cos he gets into good positions and then it all goes to waste, it's infuriating.

Would he do a good job up front where somebody can hopefully male the decisions for him?

Meyler has covered some ground since he came on

Meyler has had some injury issues. If he was free of them i think he would have nailed a spot long ago. Trap overlooked him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Well fück you too. :mad:

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Austria really have to beat us now to stay in touch and we don't have a good record against them. November 12th is going to be massive and that central defensive pairing needs to be changed around.

We've lost 3 out of our last 4 international games against Austria ? :confused:, granted two of them were in 1995 in fairness

Mushy wrote: »
    For me it's cos he gets into good positions and then it all goes to waste, it's infuriating.

Would he do a good job up front where somebody can hopefully male the decisions for him?

Say that then, I've no problem with legitimate complaints. The fact he gets singled out for abuse every game despite playing better than a lot of our other players tells a story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Meyler has had some injury issues. If he was free of them i think he would have nailed a spot long ago. Trap overlooked him too.

I think he is a great option,he brings energy to the CM and he works his socks off as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He made some silly choices and everyone has vented their annoyance, it happens.

Whelan and Duffy were also crap, have you tried fighting their corner?

Mushy wrote: »

Say that then, I've no problem with legitimate complaints. The fact he gets singled out for abuse every game despite playing better than a lot of our other players tells a story.

Haven't seen people complain about him for anything other than his decision making. Some clangers in the first half, no amount of giving it his all can compensate for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great result. 7 points from 9 is brilliant and we've outperformed both Austria and Wales so far who've dropped points where we've picked them up.

Get a draw in the next match in Austria and it's been a really brilliant start to the group.

Bollocks. Read the threads and the abuse he gets is on a personal level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

We've lost 3 out of our last 4 international games against Austria ? :confused:, granted two of them were in 1995 in fairness

And their last minute equaliser against us in the other game at the Aviva totally screwed up our chances of going to Brazil in 2014 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

To turn up the volume!!!!!

Duff and Richie are much better pundits than 90% of bt/sky/bbc/itv etc.
    Good to listen to. And I like Hamann too.
    It is entertaining to listen to them.

Great result. 7 points from 9 is brilliant and we've outperformed both Austria and Wales so far who've dropped points where we've picked them up.

Get a draw in the next match in Austria and it's been a really brilliant start to the group.

Agree, but we need to try and nick something more away than a draw at times. It has stopped us qualifying first on so many occasions.

Bollocks. Read the threads and the abuse he gets is on a personal level.

Worst I've seen is brainless, which is exactly what his decision making is.

• Advertisement

I think he is a great option,he brings energy to the CM and he works his socks off as well

Big big fan myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Go away out of that

Goals get results

He scored the goals

Which in turn gets us the points

It's nonsense finger pointing that's all about an apparent dislike of a player that everyone jumps on because it's the cool thing to do

Fair play to McLean

Fair play to him. But he was utterly wasteful for the majority of the game. As was Whelan for instance.

Am I going to say Whelan played well because he positioned himself well once or twice in front of the back 4? Or he played a couple of forward passes that resulted in chances. Fúck no.

Goals are the easiest way for a player to get off the hook. It's hilarious. No other act on the field seems to change a fan's opinion of a performance quicker.

If we want to pretend McClean was awesome, then great. Why analyse the game or performance of the team at all?

I'm delighted with the 3 points. But the general performance by the team was awful. Just terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

McLean's a bit of a nutter but he always gives 100% and he has great pace and commits defenders, don't really understand the flack he gets.I'd imagine that if he was from Cork or Galway he wouldn't be getting half the criticism he receives.

Lads its wrong of the panel to put the blame solely on Duffy. Clark didn't cover himself in glory either and was 10 yards further. Other than that Duffy had a decent game and will improve with each game. You learn from your mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone notice the 3 lads mixing up conversations about McLean and Hoolahan?

There ya go wes! A huge fvcking glass vase!

Enjoy.

McLean's a bit of a nutter but he always gives 100% and he has great pace and commits defenders, don't really understand the flack he gets.I'd imagine that if he was from Cork or Galway he wouldn't be getting half the criticism he receives.

Ah would ya stop! Whelan has experienced just as much abuse, so has Robbie Keane and even Stephen Ward (who has improved).

When you aren't at the races the knives are out, this has always been the case and will continue.

Only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If anyone thinks the term 'brainless' is personal, they can do one.

It's obvious it refers to how he thinks, or doesn't, when he's on the ball. It's got nothing to do generally with how smart he is. Obviously.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Fair play to him. But he was utterly wasteful for the majority of the game. As was Whelan for instance.

Am I going to say Whelan played well because he positioned himself well once or twice in front of the back 4? Or he played a couple of forward passes that resulted in chances. Fúck no.

Goals are the easiest way for a player to get off the hook. It's hilarious. No other act on the field seems to change a fan's opinion of a performance quicker.

If we want to pretend McClean was awesome, then great. Why analyse the game or performance of the team at all?

I'm delighted with the 3 points. But the general performance by the team was awful. Just terrible.

Seriously??? :confused: Other than one mistake i thought we controlled the game and played excellently. We've scored 3 fúckin goals away from home for heaven sake and 5 in total away from home in just two games.

• Advertisement

And 2 of them were when Trap had stopped caring.

We have nothing to fear in this group apart from ourselves and our tendency to drop back, to hoof etc. If we look around, we are on top because other teams are no great shakes at all. We could win this group, although we won't unless we find our Euros form again.

Lads its wrong of the panel to put the blame solely on Duffy. Clark didn't cover himself in glory either and was 10 yards further. Other than that Duffy had a decent game and will improve with each game. You learn from your mistakes.

A lot of posters would rather see O'Shea play instead, but we need to think about the future and persist with Duffy. He still needs to up his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I'ld say you've got that in one, Dingus, and nicely put too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fantastic stuff tonight from McLean, he's become my favourite player in the team. The desire and passion he shows for his country should be a lesson for all.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

I dont see where McCleans from as anything to do with it-hes the most frustrating player in that team and generates a lot of comments due to the way he plays-he gets into great positions and his final ball most of the time is poor ,The free kick at the end where he hoofed it over the bar from just outside the box wasnt the most brainy thing to do -his decision making is suspect

Really?? I like him as a pundit. Direct, good insight, can be entertaining too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

SlickRic wrote: »
    If anyone thinks the term 'brainless' is personal, they can do one.

It's obvious it refers to how he thinks, or doesn't, when he's on the ball. It's got nothing to do generally with how smart he is. Obviously.

Do one??? haha.
    Would you relax for fudge sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Fair play to McClean, but I still don't think he's good enough. Walters too. We play a game highly based around getting it wide but our wide players are as average as they come. McClean's biggest quality is he 'works hard', 'gives his all'...that says it all. Similarly Walters is a try hard but he can't even run! He's a target man playing on the wing. Unfortunately we haven't many better options other than Brady wide left. Maybe try shoehorn Wes in on the right.

Austria is big game, win it and we have a great chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

A lot of posters would rather see O'Shea play instead, but we need to think about the future and persist with Duffy. He still needs to up his game.

I think we could remove Whelan and put O'Shea in the centre of a back 3.

Advertisement