Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch in Hyundai

• 09-10-2016 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

My mam has a 2010 Hyundai. Bought and serviced at main dealer. They replaced clutch in May. 36k on the clock. Today on m50 suddenly lost power, clutch started sticking, smoke out of bonnet left side and burning smell. Tow guy said clutch. Is there a warranty from dealer? I've been using it as well so my dad helpfully accused me of riding the clutch... but my own car is fine. Is this a known fault?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Well if the first clutch had to be replaced after 36k then someone probably is driving the car incorrectly.

You would have 24 months warranty on the job a main dealer would do, but it takes a strip down to identify whether it was component failure or user damage and if it turns out to be user damage, you will be footing the bill irreversably then anyway.

What model Hyundai is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I20

We've all been driving 20 plus years and have had Renaults, Toyotas, Opels, Fords. I just wonder if it's a dud car!

Oh and it passed nct last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

amtc wrote:
    We've all been driving 20 plus years and have had Renaults, Toyotas, Opels, Fords. I just wonder if it's a dud car!
    Well there is always a possibility.
    amtc wrote:
    Oh and it passed nct last week
    Irrelevant.

You need to go back to the garage that replaced the clutch. Have them remove & Inspect it. The issue begins with trying to claim warranty on a clearly defined 'wear & tear part'. 36k is fairly low mileage to have a clutch replaced. What is the mileage now? What mileage have you got off the new clutch?

2k. It was replaced on 23 may

• Advertisement

Oh I never drove the car before the first clutch replaced I.e. before May. My mam was away until yesterday so I drove it infrequently from mid July to end September. She drove it yesterday and today.

Apparently it was described as a serviceable part, I have no idea what that means
    550 to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Full price for parts and labour again so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

amtc wrote: »
    My mam has a 2010 Hyundai. Bought and serviced at main dealer. They replaced clutch in May. 36k on the clock. Today on m50 suddenly lost power, clutch started sticking, smoke out of bonnet left side and burning smell. Tow guy said clutch. Is there a warranty from dealer? I've been using it as well so my dad helpfully accused me of riding the clutch... but my own car is fine. Is this a known fault?

What age are your parents? I find as people get older , ie retirement age, their driving techniques/habits get worse like riding the clutch /letting their foot sit on the clutch when driving, ad revving the hole out of the car when moving off while letting up the clutch slowly, holding the car on hills with the clutch.

I know an elderly gentleman whose last 3 clutches lasted 15k miles 10k miles 1k miles.

Take a drive with your parents driving and it might be obvious whats happening

My mam is 67 but she is a really good driver. Just going to have to suck it up and pay!

• Advertisement

Update... Get the car back today. Drove 3km home fine. Drove into driveway to drop off my dad
    Reversing out OK...but then it wouldn't go into any other gear. Currently awaiting tow truck....

any smell from the clutch?

Sounds like a leak somewhere. Did you check the level of the fluid?

No it's gone back to the garage. I wouldn't have a clue where to look. It was 20 ,minutes out of the place. Their problem.

keep us posted!

I must say they were mortified. This is a main dealer. However, not so mortified that they asked for a fiver to replace a bulb that had gone over the rear registration plate, which wasn't included in the bill for the clutch repair (!) job. I seriously had to calm my 78 year old dad down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Time to get Hyundai Ireland involved. Tell them you believe there has been an undiagnosed underlying fault that resulted in you having to buy 2 new clutches, both of which have had issues.

Advertisement