Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m50/N3 exit - urban myth or true

Options
  • 09-10-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

A friend told me a while ago, she 'heard' (hence i don't know whether to believe this or not) that someone she knew, was driving down the M50 (south bound) and was taking the N3 exit (the far left exit, that swings around to bring ye to the N3 (as opposed to going up and around the old roundabout)

She heard that someone drove the WRONG way down this m50 exit, and squeezed past cars to eventually go back onto the M50

I imagine that somehow this person was going Northbound on M50, took the new exit, panicked, and went 'left' down the exit before the m50 slip goes onto the N3

Apologies for the waffle but everytime I take this exit, i recall this 'story' and find it real hard to believe and just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of anything like this happening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Crazy driver behaviour rarely surprises me and it is known for drivers to drive for kilometers on the wrong way of a motorway. I and dozens of motorists had to swerve dramatically to avoid an oncoming car doing just that on our side of the M7 motorway near Portlaoise a few years ago. I called 999 to report it. On bendy motorways, I now have a slight phobia about using the fast lane if I can't see way ahead for fear I have a similar encounter again.

Some woman was killed doing what you described on an exit ramp of the M18 in Clare a few years ago too. I wouldn't say what you heard was a myth at all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well I once came off the M50 heading southbound and went onto the slip road that brings you directly onto the M3. As I went past the rumble strips there was a Garda car parked on the right with a Garda directing traffic to the left of the lane. In front of the Garda car another car was parked facing the direction of the traffic. No idea how it got there, but after that I'd believe that anything's possible on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

find it real hard to believe
    Really? Why? There are lots of instances of it happening, I'm surprised you haven't seen at least one news report on one of them.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement