Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The cinema

• 09-10-2016 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I went to the cinema today with my partner.

I booked my seat in advance. I always book a specific seat for personal reasons which I won't get into here.

I went up to the counter to collect my tickets and I asked for two popcorns and two cokes ..... 17 EURO !!! I nearly died.

I arrived at the auditorium 10 minutes in advance and lo, there were people in our seats. I politely asked them to move and showed them my ticket but nothing would convince them to move. I was forced to sit in a seat in which I wasn't happy with.

As I sat there, I felt a mild thump and constant twitching behind me. The person behind me was resting their feet on the headrest of my seat. I didn't want to disturb the other audience by asking them to move their feet so I just put up with it.

Later on in the film, a symphony of lights started. Some people were obviously bored with the film so they began going on their phones. The glare was very distracting. If you're bored with the film, just leave.

To add to this, a conversation erupted in the row on front of us. People were talking and talking and talking, again if you're bored or can't sit still and quiet for 2 hours, just leave.

It really spoiled the whole atmosphere for us and the other audience. There were better behaved children in the audience compared to some adults in the film. (It was a 12A film).

From now no I'll just wait for the film to come out on DVD. Terrible :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What film was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Your too passive.

You should have caught the popcorn and drinks of the people in your seat, and ****ed it off the wall while wailing as loud as you can.

The people on the phones, smash them to pieces and piss on them. (The people, or the phones)

And don't get me started on the talkers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

How old is your partner that you brought her to a PG film???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What film was it?

Deepwater Horizon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

I try to go at off peak times to avoid queues (driving in and out, tickets and food etc) and packed cinema and all the poor behaviour that goes with it.

I was the only one in the cinema for an afternoon showing of Anthropoid a couple of weeks back.

How old is your partner that you brought her to a PG film???

I'm in my mid twenties .. as for my partner ... never ask a lady's age !! :P It was actually 12A, just edited there.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Your too passive.

You should have caught the popcorn and drinks of the people in your seat, and ****ed it off the wall while wailing as loud as you can.

The people on the phones, smash them to pieces and piss on them. (The people, or the phones)

And don't get me started on the talkers...

Too passive yes!! but honestly you big drama queen way too over the top. Smashing phones tut tut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

To be fair, is €17 for two tickets, two popcorns and two cokes not pretty reasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

I think the €17 was just for the cokes and popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hammer89 wrote: »
    To be fair, is €17 for two tickets, two popcorns and two cokes not pretty reasonable?

I think that was just the cokes and popcorn. He already had the tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hammer89 wrote: »

Im presuming he means just the refreshments cost €17.

Yep :) I paid for the tickets online !! The snacks cost 17 Euro :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I try to go at off peak times to avoid queues (driving in and out, tickets and food etc) and packed cinema and all the poor behaviour that goes with it.

I was the only one in the cinema for an afternoon showing of Anthropoid a couple of weeks back.

same here, i usually wait until a film is into its second or third week

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If I'm ever going to a film that potentially may have a younger audience at it I make a point of going after 9pm on a Monday or Tuesday night if at all possible. As a result my wife and I had the whole cinema to ourselves when we went to see Captain America: Civil War earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Behaviour at the cinema is often appalling these days OP. Also at the theatre - I've experienced the same problems at plays/shows (recently experienced catcalling and lewd shouts during a scene in the Abbey). If you're in Dublin I recommend the Lighthouse - far less stupid behaviour there than other cinemas ime. Or Liffey Valley if looking for a blockbuster on a busy night - I find that if a bunch of idiots kick off there then there's usually somebody bigger and scarier to put them in their place fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Behaviour at the cinema is often appalling these days OP. Also at the theatre - I've experienced the same problems at plays/shows (recently experienced catcalling and lewd shouts during a scene in the Abbey).

If it was Cats then those 'meows' were probably part of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Look, you just didnt get the memo that explains that allocated seating in cinema is, and is to be, observed by NO ONE. Its a nonsense, a real pain in the ass, and everybody ignores it.
    Now you know though. So no further problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I have to agree, people at the cinema have gotten incredibly inconsiderate. In the past few months, i've had people in my seats, people eating entire meals during the film and of course people talking.

I've decided to only go to the Lighthouse in Dublin from now on. It seems to attract people who actually want to see the film. Cineworld/Savoy etc are magnets for obnoxiousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I definitely wouldn't tolerate the feet on the back of the seat. You have to assert yourself. I 've experienced this sometimes on flights with kids having complete meltdowns kicking the back of the seat and the parents simply let them continue while the cabin crew just walk past as if they're completely oblivious to it. A few times I have had to stand up and speak directly to the parents. I very politely but very firmly tell them to control their children and have some consideration for the other passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to find a Cinema where the staff keep things in check. No point paying to be in a creche. I find the Savoy and the IFI pretty good for this in Dublin. Rurally options may be more limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Look, you just didnt get the memo that explains that allocated seating in cinema is, and is to be, observed by NO ONE. Its a nonsense, a real pain in the ass, and everybody ignores it.

That's distinctly untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Anyone sitting in my seats is told to move. Often I pay extra for premiere seats (again for specific reasons) and you find some chancers sitting in them. They make faces & moan but they are told in no uncertain terms to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The cinema is awful.

"Gee, I really want to see this movie so i guess i'll go into a room with a bunch of strangers who may or may not have any interest in it and who will act accordingly."

/strangers inevitably act like dickheads for the entire runtime

"WHY YOU...........!"

Pirate things or wait until they come out on Netflix/DVD/Bluray/Wax Cylinder so that you can enjoy them properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

If there's people in my seat I ask them to move.
    They don't move, I sit on top of them.

They always move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I haven't been to the cinema in about 5 years, since I went to see a film with a few friends. There was a family there who brought there 3 kids to a 18+film (The Fighter) who spent the majority of the film talking and jumping around the place. The father, rather than discipline them, decided instead to answer the 3 or 4 phone calls he got during the film and hold full conversations. A few people complained but they were a traveller family and the staff were afraid to throw them out.

Never again, hell is other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Haven't been to the cinema since the matrix reloaded in 2003. Three Scoobies in front of me cracked open beers in the cinema and ruined it for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Never have these issues and I go once a weekend.

I love a quiet cinema

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

In our local cinema 2 tickets for a tenner with 3. Large popcorn 2 medium drinks and a bag of sweets, 11.50

We go at least once a week and it's always enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

A pain in the ass for who? The people that don't bother booking? **** 'em! I don't ignore it and I guarantee anybody sitting in a seat I booked won't ignore either.

I go the cinema 3-4 times a week and rarely experience the issues you guys are describing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

There is a very straight forward solution here... just build your own private cinema! :D

That'll keep the vagrants and delinquents out, and you can enjoy the picture show in peace. (you're welcome) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The cinema is awful.

"Gee, I really want to see this movie so i guess i'll go into a room with a bunch of strangers who may or may not have any interest in it and who will act accordingly."

"WHY YOU...........!"

Pirate things or wait until they come out on Netflix/DVD/Bluray/Wax Cylinder so that you can enjoy them properly.

You could literally make the same argument for any other social activity outside your house.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Change cinema's, I never experience any of the issues you described.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I go the cinema 3-4 times a week and rarely experience the issues you guys are describing here.

really? never experienced any of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Weres the staff in these places ?

jester77 wrote: »
    Change cinema's, I never experience any of the issues you described.

What cinema do you go to? The only ones in the city centre that I haven't had issues in are the savoy & the lighthouse. Oh, and the one down at the Point but that's because it's always empty whenever I've been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Just home from the cinema now and a woman in front was checking her phone every 10 mins (the brightness makes you notice in a dark room) while the girls/women behind repeated nearly everything that the actor on screen just said.

Not to be too critical but people can be ar$eholes without even trying.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The cinema is awful.

"WHY YOU...........!"

If they don't have any interest in the movie why are they there ffs? Just go to the pub if you want to spend the evening moaning about Claire from accounts or whatever. Don't do it in a cinema.

BTW, I've only ever downloaded one 'cam' pirate movie and it had people talking in the background and others getting up to go to the bog constantly. These twats even ruin pirate copies of movies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

SteM wrote: »
    What cinema do you go to? The only ones in the city centre that I haven't had issues in are the savoy & the lighthouse. Oh, and the one down at the Point but that's because it's always empty whenever I've been there.

Savoy can be hit and miss I find. Poor attendance in Screen 1 seems to make people think they're free to carry on as if they're in their own sitting room. The constant stream of staff up and down the aisles at the side is also unbelievably annoying.

Nothing is as bad as Cineworld though. Its like some sort of mecca for antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nothing is as bad as Cineworld though. Its like some sort of mecca for antisocial behaviour.

Look at the address, twas always gonna be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

What cinema do you go to?

Just home from the cinema now and a woman in front was checking her phone every 10 mins (the brightness makes you notice in a dark room) while the girls/women behind repeated nearly everything that the actor on screen just said.

Not to be too critical but people can be ar$eholes without even trying.

I was in Dundrum cinema one time and in the middle of a movie a girl in front of us took out her mobile and took a selfie of her and her fella who had fallen asleep. People should be made give up their phones when they go into a cinema.

Savoy can be hit and miss I find. Poor attendance in Screen 1 seems to make people think they're free to carry on as if they're in their own sitting room. The constant stream of staff up and down the aisles at the side is also unbelievably annoying.

I think part of the problem in cineworld is that a lot of people go with those passes. A lot of people just seem to be there so they can get some use out of the pass they bought, they don't actually want to see the film they're at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

SteM wrote: »

Savoy in Hamburg. There's no talking, playing with phones or feet on seats, although you'd want to be 8 foot to reach the seat in front. You get the occasional loud eater, that's the only annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

You could literally make the same argument for any other social activity outside your house.........

I know, right?

**** leaving the house for anything other than what is absolutely necessary. Other people can go die in a fire.

Are hermits still a thing? I want to be one of them when i grow up...... except with a good internet connection.

What cinema do you go to?

Cineworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The secret to good cinema experiences is just going off peak. Stay well away from them Friday to Sunday. Early or midweek showings are usually only peopled by those with an interest in the film and or lone weirdos, all of whom shut the hell up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Could write a book about the obnoxious arsehats I've encountered over the years. Seen a guy once get fcuked out of Savoy One for arguing with the characters on the screen. My pet peeve in the 80's / early 90's was the smoking. Now it's phones.

People kicking the back of seats is infuriating though. Most recently I shouted (in a hushed whisper) at a guy and motioned at his legs he had hanging over the seat a few seats down and he immediately removed them and said sorry. I genuinely think some people live in a world of their own and fcuking oblivious to how they are disturbing others. The rest are just devil spawn.

The reserved seat thing can be annoying for damn sure but anytime I have ever went into a screen and someone was in my seat, they have always moved when I was polite and just showed them my ticket. See a few rows over seats but it's usually when the real seat reservers have turned up ten to fifteen minutes into a film and started moaning cause someone took their seats. In which case I think tough shit. If I was late (ten mins or more) for a a film there is no way I would ask someone who took my seat to move.

Oh and fcuk buying cinema food. Bring your own munchies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement