Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop password

Options
  • 09-10-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi, I bought a second-hand laptop and the seller can't remember the password to unlock it, they haven't used it in a bit. Any tips how to unlock it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is it the Windows password or the BIOS password that's needed ?

I'd also wager that a seller who's "forgotten" the password probably isn't the original owner.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

The password to access main use. Pic and name on screen are of the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

What OS is it running? Win7, Win8.1 or Win10?

You will need to restore the OS - the method depends on the version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What OS is it running? Win7, Win8.1 or Win10?

You will need to restore the OS - the method depends on the version.

Would a password reset tool not be a better idea first? Plenty of them available via Google

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Presumably they don't want the previous owner's data and settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Depending on how it was set up originally and what version of Windows it is, they might have to create system disks first. Also, if it is a stolen machine and if it was mine, I'd love if someone found it and didn't reset it. New owner could also find blackmail info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

jimbooth wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a second-hand laptop and the seller can't remember the password to unlock it, they haven't used it in a bit. Any tips how to unlock it ?

Be careful you didn't but a stolen laptop. sounds dodgy when they cant remember a password, when selling it

It's their pic and name on profile, it hasn't been used in 3 years, they just can't remember password exactly as it was something obscure. It's not stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

It's their pic and name on profile, it hasn't been used in 3 years, they just can't remember password exactly as it was something obscure. It's not stolen.

Look we only want to help you.

Just because it has his PIC with a name they gave you , doesn't mean it their real name.

It just it sounds fishy. they have not used it fro 3 years , why? Is the battery or is there some else not working . Most people don't use obscure password , I should know work in tech support. Do they have receipt of purchase?

Elliot Alderson.

mach1982 wrote: »
    Look we only want to help you.

Just because it has his PIC with a name they gave you , doesn't mean it their real name.

It just it sounds fishy. they have not used it fro 3 years , why? Is the battery or is there some else not working . Most people don't use obscure password , I should know work in tech support. Do they have receipt of purchase?

Elliot Alderson.

Do you have a receipt for something you bought 5 years ago ?
    They stopped using it when they lost the charger a little over 2 yrs ago. All the pics etc date back 5+ years to date of original software installation.
    The password they had used was not specific to anything and therefore they couldn't recollect it. I have same model laptop but got destroyed but had a charger so I bought this with full knowledge of who I bought from and they're address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the admin account is a microsoft account you need to wipe the machine.

If the admin account is a local account its trivial to reset the password. There are loads of bootable CDs thatll do this or even http://www.passwordresetkey.com/site/

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Try NT online password reset tool,but again this will depend on what version of Windows it is running

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Hi,

If you still need to bypass the login screen PM me and I'll explain how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

You can use trinity rescue kit it as live linux you can put on a cd or usb it has a windows password reset tool that easy to use. That or reinstall the OS which would be a better solution as you would have a fresh clean copy of the os

Thanks all, got sorted with YouTube video. Quite easy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks all, got sorted with YouTube video. Quite easy really.

You should post the link for others benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Should really wipe the machine. Its going to be running like a dog with an used version of Windows.

Got sorted thanks, just look up " unlock your Windows password in 15 mins"

Advertisement