Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

well water treatment cloriforms

• 09-10-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Had my well water tested and was zero for chloroform. We had some work done for treatment of iron and softening.
    Retested for grant and came back chloroform 44 (zero ecoli).
    I'm thinking it might be a lab error, anyone any experience?

If like to test from a few points but retesting is very expensive. Any DIY methods?

Also I'm afraid shock treatment will damage my new filters.

Comments

How about reverse osmosis ? We're moving soon and I've no clue about wells but I'd rather reverse osmosis than any form of chemical treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Coliforms

it is very likely for wells to have coliforms. The fact that is ecoli negative is great.

We have a Uv light on our well water. Water passes through a tube with uv light and thats removes any bugs.
    Bulb needs to be changed yearly.

I like the peace of mind that the uv light gives us.

Some reverse osmosis filters also have UV.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

I was thinking before we started newest had zero and then went to 44, seems high. Could it have been lab error or where was it most likely to come from

paddie9 wrote: »
    I was thinking before we started newest had zero and then went to 44, seems high. Could it have been lab error or where was it most likely to come from

I don't think so. It's possible that works disturbed something and caused a growth spurt.
    All wells are susceptible to coliforms as they underground and water going through earth could carry bugs. Your well could become contaminated at any stage at all.

• Advertisement

All the more reason to have reverse osmosis filters.

How was sample taken? Was water left running for a while ?
    Was container sterile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lisha wrote: »
    Was container sterile?

Maybe the initial zero reading was an error.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Was container sterile?

Maybe the initial zero reading was an error.
    Possibly never heard of that happening unless they never used the water. The council expects zero.

Coliforms

it is very likely for wells to have coliforms. The fact that is ecoli negative is great.

We have a Uv light on our well water. Water passes through a tube with uv light and thats removes any bugs.
    Bulb needs to be changed yearly.

I like the peace of mind that the uv light gives us.
    I'd hate to spend all that money on an error. I'd retest only the expense

• Advertisement

I don't think so. It's possible that works disturbed something and caused a growth spurt.
    All wells are susceptible to coliforms as they underground and water going through earth could carry bugs. Your well could become contaminated at any stage at all.
    We didn't do any work on the well just the treatment. I've seen lines become contaminated in work. I'd treat the lines but am afraid I'd affect the iron and water softener units.

While it is true and correct that the council expects zero coliforms in potable water, no one has told the well that yet.

Most wells will have some coliform activity.

It is underground, under soil rocks, stones and sand. Rain water, animal effluent, and various flora and fauna will all make their way through the water table. You can only hope that the baddies will be filtered out on the way down. This cannot be guaranteed and things will possibly worsen as the water tables rises/fills due to weather conditions.

The negative sample could be negative if the sample was in the jar too long prior to testing. Bugs are living things and not every rule is followed exactly every time.
    You well could very possibly be ok today but contaminated tomorrow

Personally I'd investigate the well a lot more before I'd decide it was negative for coliform.
    If I felt well was dodgy I would at the very least boil water per use. And maybe use hot tap for teeth etc. The very young, old or immunosuppressed can be very badly affected by coliforms. Granted you or me might not have any ill effects what's so ever.

I consider the uv money well spent.

Best of luck with it.

We didn't do any work on the well just the treatment. I've seen lines become contaminated in work. I'd treat the lines but am afraid I'd affect the iron and water softener units.

Might be worth letting the system flush through so.
    Could you ring the guys who treated it and see if they'd recommend treating the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Your obviously pumping the water to the iron and water softener units so is it not possible to install a bypass system so that you can treat the well and flush the water through without it going through the units.

Advertisement