Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New grinder options

• 09-10-2016 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

My Bodum Bistro burr grinder died yesterday - I managed to get just under four years of life out of it.

Now, I don't know if the issue is a dead motor, a broken thermostat (which I read about) or a loose connection. It would be better if somebody could repair it.

The grinder was good enough - I make a variety of coffees: Bialetti espresso in the morning, other times, Aeropress and sometimes French press.

If I can't get it replaced, I'm wondering what is the best value burr grinder I could get (I think I'd prefer to avoid flat burrs, but I'm open to correction).

I'd say my budget is sub-€200, lower, the better, I want value for money, but, then, I'm thinking now my choices are limited to Baratza or buying another Bodum Bistro.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your views.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

sarkozy wrote: »
    My Bodum Bistro burr grinder died yesterday - I managed to get just under four years of life out of it.

Now, I don't know if the issue is a dead motor, a broken thermostat (which I read about) or a loose connection. It would be better if somebody could repair it.

The grinder was good enough - I make a variety of coffees: Bialetti espresso in the morning, other times, Aeropress and sometimes French press.

If I can't get it replaced, I'm wondering what is the best value burr grinder I could get (I think I'd prefer to avoid flat burrs, but I'm open to correction).

I'd say my budget is sub-€200, lower, the better, I want value for money, but, then, I'm thinking now my choices are limited to Baratza or buying another Bodum Bistro.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your views.

I have a Rancilio Rocky for 7 years now and it's been solid all along. I've paired it with various espresso machines including a Gaggia Classic and find it utterly reliable. Downside is that it is a stepped grinder and may not be suitable for more expensive semi-automatics. However it has commercial grade parts and hopefully will last another 5 to 10 years. BTW I've replaced the burrs once. Another downside is grind retention in the chute. I blow these out after every grind using a plastic bag. Not sure other more expensive grinders will last as long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Looks good. Quite outside my price range, I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

sarkozy wrote: »
    Looks good. Quite outside my price range, I think?

www.homecoffeemachines.ie/collections/types?q=Grinders
    €280 on this website. About 50 less than I paid for it 7 yrs ago

Advertisement