Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itunes - recent problem syncing my music

Options
  • 09-10-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've had iphones for several years, and always sync'd my music between the laptop and the phone. As I bought (vast majority CDs) more music I found that the phone didn't have enough capacity, so I'd then 'tick' or 'untick' the songs I wanted to sync with the phone on Itunes.

Didn't sync / back-up for a while and the most recent sync last week was totally different - Itunes told me I couldn't sync music as I needed another 35 GB of space. I thought it might be some form of bug or glitch, and tried again - no joy.
    I then unsync'd all of my music, and the phone then had no music, except for the few songs I'd bought and downloaded via Itunes.

So, I ended up having to tick "Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres" in the Music tab of the phone section when syncing with Itunes.
    Don't know if something's changed, or if I'm doing something wrong - I just wanted to be able to select "Entire music library" for the sync and then tick the songs I do / don't want from the song list.

Can anyone advise if this is a new issue / change, or if I've done something different?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Feature was probably changed or broken at some point. e.g. iTunes may have gone and re-checked your whole library.

I'd recommend sticking to syncing with playlists. Syncing any other way is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Feature was probably changed or broken at some point. e.g. iTunes may have gone and re-checked your whole library.

I'd recommend sticking to syncing with playlists. Syncing any other way is asking for trouble.

Thanks - why sync with playlists? I just want to sync the songs that I select and not have to go through all the Artists, Albums, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Syncing with playlists is more reliable and less likely to be broken in a future update. The checked method is messy. I'd also consider it a legacy feature which will be dropped or accidentally broken eventually.

Have you checked if the songs in your library are still checked/unchecked? As I said it's possible iTunes went and re-checked them all.

Are you running the latest version of iTunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Have you checked if the songs in your library are still checked/unchecked? As I said it's possible iTunes went and re-checked them all.
    Are you running the latest version of iTunes?

Still checked / unchecked.
    Yep - latest version of iTunes and IOS.

Think I may be starting to think about moving on from Apple - seems to be becoming more and more difficult to keep my own stuff sync'd due to Apple's constant tinkering and changes. :mad:

Anyone else finding issues with this sort of stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I remember years ago something happened when I was syncing songs and to fix it I needed not to sync checked songs and just drag them across and place them into the iPhone. To keep track on iTunes of what songs I had synced, I created a playlist and whatever was put on the phone I put into the playlist as you can't back up the songs that are on the phone if you lose it or upgrade.

• Advertisement

OP, try creating a smart playlist, tell it to only include checked songs ("ticked is true"), and then try syncing that playlist with the iPhone.

Advertisement