Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane to Navan walk along river Boyne--possible?

Options
  • 09-10-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi , just looking for some information re walking along the Boyne towards Navan

I have walked a part of this two times , parking just before crossing over the Boyne outside Slane and then walking with the Boyne to the right---i am curious as to how far i could walk--is it possible to walk all the way to Navan for example and then grab a bus back to Slane??---anyone done this ? Any idea of rough distances/time taken. I think this walk might be known as Boyne ramparts walk

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Yes it's possible and it's a beautiful walk. Just follow the river really. There is a spot where you have to leave the river and walk the road a bit. That's at the board bridge, I've heard it called Ardmulcan bridge too. I think it would be easier walking Navan to Slane as its easier to figure out. It should take about 3-4hrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tommylacey

great , thanks a million for that information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I know this is an old thread but the most recent when I searched walks/Boyne. Considering its age I was wondering if its a case its now possible to walk from Navan along the Boyne all the way to Drogheda or does the path still only go to Stackallen when walking from the ramparts CP in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HighMan

cubix wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but the most recent when I searched walks/Boyne. Considering its age I was wondering if its a case its now possible to walk from Navan along the Boyne all the way to Drogheda or does the path still only go to Stackallen when walking from the ramparts CP in Navan.

I would love to know about this too. Might just need to start walking and see how far I get. I have looked it up on google. THe section between Slane and Navan is a bit vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Job Gnocchi

It is possible to walk from Navan to Slane although as an earlier post says this involves using the road for a short section at Stackallen bridge (Broadbridge). The path is much less defined (there is no gravel pathway)In some parts it's just a narrow track worn in the grass so wouldn't be suitable for everybody. There are places that involve going under (and over) the odd fallen tree but this adds to the whole experience . Around Beauparc House the track widens and is easier to follow and eventually leads to the paddocks beside Slane bridge. After Slane there is a well kept section approximately 2.5 kilometres long out to a lockgate (known locally as Morgan's Lock I think). As far as I'm aware that's as much that can be walked. They're are places to walk further on towards Drogheda at Staleen and Oldbridge but I don't think there is access between Morgan's Lock and Rosnaree. Someone else on here might know better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement