Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point of sale payment processors.

Options
  • 09-10-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

Trawling through boards/other forums here to try get my head around point of sale payments and reliable processors.

Let's say hypothetically you were going to open a restaurant and wanted a payment provider who is reliable and the best value possible, what are the options?

Let's say for arguments sake gross transactions for all cards is around €50,000 per month assuming the majority of these transactions are debit card.

Are the only solid options acquirers like Elavon (BOI), Streamline (Ulster Bank) or First Data (AIB)? They seem to be most established and have plenty of equipment (card reader) options vs other smaller starty-uppy outfits which seem to be more expensive per transaction.

Out of those 3 are they all basically the same price wise? Does any one stand out as better/cheaper than the others?

Sagepay? Payment sense?

How about any software specifically for restaurants?

Is clover worth a look?

Plenty of reading up to do obviously but any thoughts appreciated... :)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Payment sense worth looking into more lots of people have moved to them rates look good. It's worth having one of the mobile units as back up in case things go down at least with them theres no monthly.

As far as pos goes I wouldn't go with clover from what I've seen its got a bit of catching up to do on some of the other established players and there's plenty out there with good restaurant specific versions. Are you planning on going with a cloud based till then? Crazy the old school systems are now we're looking at getting a new system in and we're quite £60k for one last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 powly

Thanks for the response.

Ye I mean a cloud based till seems to make a lot of sense as it can integrate so many of the POS aspects together but it'll really all depend on pricing vs offerings obviously enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

powly wrote: »
    Elavon (BOI),

We started off with Elavon Mobile Merchant. There is a 150€ setup fee then they just charge a standard percentage after that.

We have now moved on to BOI Payment Acceptance - they are pretty competitive. BOI are not working with elavon anymore apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Try Payment Plus - http://www.paymentplus.ie/

They are Barclaycard's partner in Ireland and are preferred supplier of Retail Excellence.

For a restaurant, a portable machine is essential as people will wish to pay at the tables, but their machines rent at under €15 a month and commission rates are under 1% for standard cards. Higher for business cards (as are vall merchant acquirers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cyclingdeise

It is a minefield

Any business accepting cards via F2F or online will need a processor/acquirer

Acquirers in the Irish Market are AIB, Worldpay, Elevon and BOI.
    There are other ISO's (independent Sales Org) which resell an acquirers processing, one of these is Paymentsense which I understand resells Valient (Icelandic unless I'm mistaken) processing.

If online, you will also need a payment gateway.
    Gateway providers in the Irish market are Realex and also Worldpay.
    Both provide API and XML integration.
    Stripe is another alternative, wrapping up the gateway & processing online.

All acquirers will provide terminals, but only some have the ability to integrate the terminal the POS - If your acquirer cannot provide an integrated terminal you will need to source integration software from another provider such as Sagepay

Some acquirers also provide mobile devices to allow merchants take payments remotely, sum-up and Worldpay provide.
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement