Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He’s also chasing the metric of 15 starts across 5 different seasons on the PGA tour, which provides you with a PGA pension and other legacy benefits.

I think he has 4 already in the bag, so every start is vital this year if he is to make it.

That's interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I also believe that Top 10 for a non-status golfer automatically gets you in to the next regular tour event, so this will see him in the Charles Schwab next week if he wasn’t in already.

He’s also chasing the metric of 15 starts across 5 different seasons on the PGA tour, which provides you with a PGA pension and other legacy benefits.

I think he has 4 already in the bag, so every start is vital this year if he is to make it.

That’s very interesting, I wasn’t aware of those kind of privileges for players. I suppose we see so much and hear so much of the bigger players on tour that aren’t affected by money/status worries that we often forget about the lads that are lower down in the pecking order. For him to get onto any pension scheme etc would be huge for him.

Yes I think a top 12 finish automatically qualifies for the next regular tour event. He’ll need probably another $600,000 to secure his full card for next season I think but more showings like the weekend and he could go on a run. There was huge prize money on offer and it’s just a pity that he couldn’t finish out strongly. There was almost a $700,000 difference between second and his eventual finish of 9th. To shoot 4 rounds in the 60s only dropping 4 shots all week was serious going and I hope it’s a real shot in the arm for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Motivator wrote: »
    That’s very interesting, I wasn’t aware of those kind of privileges for players. I suppose we see so much and hear so much of the bigger players on tour that aren’t affected by money/status worries that we often forget about the lads that are lower down in the pecking order. For him to get onto any pension scheme etc would be huge for him.

Yes I think a top 12 finish automatically qualifies for the next regular tour event. He’ll need probably another $600,000 to secure his full card for next season I think but more showings like the weekend and he could go on a run. There was huge prize money on offer and it’s just a pity that he couldn’t finish out strongly. There was almost a $700,000 difference between second and his eventual finish of 9th. To shoot 4 rounds in the 60s only dropping 4 shots all week was serious going and I hope it’s a real shot in the arm for him.

It's top 10 on the pga tour to qualify for the next event, top 12 in the masters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I also believe that Top 10 for a non-status golfer automatically gets you in to the next regular tour event, so this will see him in the Charles Schwab next week if he wasn’t in already.

Is the pension metric not based on made-cuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

There's a good explanation on the tour retirement plan here

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golden-retirements-pga-tour-pros-get-a-gift-that-keeps-giving

Makes for interesting reading - many pros may have very little in their plan.

A solid if unspectacular start for Seamus yesterday, finished -1 last night which is 5 off the lead. He mixes plenty of birdies with bogeys but the course is playing tough. On Sky last night they said there had been 54 x 3 putts in the morning groups and there were lots last night also so perhaps -1 isn’t the worst score. A solid under par round again today gets Seamus into the weekend so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for me also because I’m getting married in two weeks and I’ve had a very nice bet on Seamus to win this week which would go a long way to paying for the day. he’ll be getting an invite if he manages to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

He had a 3 putt after driving a par 4. 70 feet away but didn't get it within 7 feet.

Another 3 putt from 50 feet and left it 7 feet away.

He's very prone to a 3 putt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    He had a 3 putt after driving a par 4. 70 feet away but didn't get it within 7 feet.

Another 3 putt from 50 feet and left it 7 feet away.

He's very prone to a 3 putt

At least they're reasonable 3 putts, he often 3 putts from closer than that!

Good start from Seamus today, -2 after 6 holes. There’s good money on offer this week, a huge chance for him to make some cash and earn fed ex points to help get his card sorted for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OEP wrote: »
    At least they're reasonable 3 putts, he often 3 putts from closer than that!

3 putts should be rare enough for a professional. They’re too frequent for him.

• Advertisement

-3 after 8 holes today. Currently tied 11th. Cmon Seamus

3 putts should be rare enough for a professional. They’re too frequent for him.

The tour average number of putts per round is 28.92, Seamus is averaging 29.07 putts per round. Patrick Reed leads putting with 27.69 putts per round and the worst putter on tour averages just over 30 putts per round.

Saying Seamus is a bad putter is a myth and funnily enough 3 putts aren’t that rare in a 4 day tournament with 150 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

The tour average number of putts per round is 28.92, Seamus is averaging 29.07 putts per round. Patrick Reed leads putting with 27.69 putts per round and the worst putter on tour averages just over 30 putts per round.

Saying Seamus is a bad putter is a myth and funnily enough 3 putts aren’t that rare in a 4 day tournament with 150 players.

He usually has one every round.

Putting stats like all stats can paint different pictures. I could take 24 putts in a round and you 30 but destroyed me by 4 shots as I missed most greens and you didn’t but looks like I’m a better putter when really I was chipping decent

Trampas wrote: »
    He usually has one every round.

Putting stats like all stats can paint different pictures. I could take 24 putts in a round and you 30 but destroyed me by 4 shots as I missed most greens and you didn’t but looks like I’m a better putter when really I was chipping decent

But they’re putting stats for the entire PGA tour for the entire season to date, so no they can only be used for what they are - the facts.

He wasn’t great again there. Missed birdie putt from about 4 feet at most.
    I wouldn’t call him a good putter. His approach play is very good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Serious drive on the 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Nice 3 to finish and well inside the top 1 heading for the weekend. A strong finish here would go a long way to getting him back his tour card

Nice 3 to finish and well inside the top 1 heading for the weekend. A strong finish here would go a long way to getting him back his tour card

He has to be thinking of challenging, take Hadley out and he’s 3 off the lead. Absolutely no reason why he can’t contend over the weekend. He has the game, it’s the mind that lets him down.

A top 10 banks him $200,000+. A huge weekend for the man coming now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It will take a very impressive performance for anyone to beat DJ. It would be great for seamus to do it but not sure he has it in him. Hopefully he does. He needs a few high finishes if he hopes to regain his card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

tobsey wrote: »
    It will take a very impressive performance for anyone to beat DJ. It would be great for seamus to do it but not sure he has it in him. Hopefully he does. He needs a few high finishes if he hopes to regain his card.

It’s a nicer type of pressure to be at the pointy end of the leaderboard instead of looking over his shoulder at the cut mark. Being in contention can become a nice habit.

tobsey wrote: »

Good and all as he is, and he is absolutely top class, DJ has a tendency to beat himself sometimes, the 18th tonight is testament to that. He could go and absolutely blitz the field over the weekend but I get the feeling he’s only keeping himself ticking over for next week and he’s not going to light himself up in a bog standard event the week before the biggest mental test of the year. I thought it was strange enough that he even played this tournament to be honest. Nearly all the top lads are resting for next week but he obviously wants to work on something in his game.

Seamus will probably need to shoot a pair of 67s to win and that still might not even be enough. Hadley is a ropey enough character though who hasn’t won for 7 years on tour and came in this week with little to no form this season. Hopefully he’ll get nervy and Seamus can take advantage of him and a hopefully half arsed DJ.

Need to stop talking about prize money and what he could win.

Points is what he needs and in doing that the money looks after itself.

Currently due to move up 22 places to 151. Needs a top 5 and some top 10's to keep his card.

Going to be a slog but hopefully he does it.

Even finishing 3rd on his own won't get him into top 125 bar some strange results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Good and all as he is, and he is absolutely top class, DJ has a tendency to beat himself sometimes, the 18th tonight is testament to that. He could go and absolutely blitz the field over the weekend but I get the feeling he’s only keeping himself ticking over for next week and he’s not going to light himself up in a bog standard event the week before the biggest mental test of the year. I thought it was strange enough that he even played this tournament to be honest. Nearly all the top lads are resting for next week but he obviously wants to work on something in his game.

Seamus will probably need to shoot a pair of 67s to win and that still might not even be enough. Hadley is a ropey enough character though who hasn’t won for 7 years on tour and came in this week with little to no form this season. Hopefully he’ll get nervy and Seamus can take advantage of him and a hopefully half arsed DJ.

It's in his home state, so I'd say he wants to win alright. And he'll want to give the fans something to shout about after disappointing in the PGA that was also in South Carolina.

Need to stop talking about prize money and what he could win.

Points is what he needs and in doing that the money looks after itself.

Currently due to move up 22 places to 151. Needs a top 5 and some top 10's to keep his card.

Going to be a slog but hopefully he does it.

Even finishing 3rd on his own won't get him into top 125 bar some strange results.

You can be sure prize money is exactly what he’s thinking. He’s earned $236,000 this season, around $800,000 will sneak into the top 125. Could even be $900,000 considering there’s more money on offer this year over the season.

He finished top 125 two years running earning $750,000+ so you can be sure that’s on his mind. Top 3 would see him hot that figure with a good bit of time left to tack on some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Birdie birdie start to round 3.

• Advertisement

You can be sure prize money is exactly what he’s thinking. He’s earned $236,000 this season, around $800,000 will sneak into the top 125. Could even be $900,000 considering there’s more money on offer this year over the season.

He finished top 125 two years running earning $750,000+ so you can be sure that’s on his mind. Top 3 would see him hot that figure with a good bit of time left to tack on some money.

You earn your card with points, not money

Another 3 putt for bogey from 45 feet. Left himself 7 foot 8 inches.

Money doesn't retain your card. Points do. Hence they keep harping on about rankings on coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Money doesn't retain your card. Points do. Hence they keep harping on about rankings on coverage

Am i missing something obvious here? How do you earn points? By making money presumably.

Am i missing something obvious here? How do you earn points? By making money presumably.

Winner gets 500, 300 2nd, less as you go down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_point_distributions_of_the_FedEx_Cup

That is how you retain your tour card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Holed a pitch on 15 for eagle to get to 7 under. Now in a tie for 5th and 4 off the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Winner gets 500, 300 2nd, less as you go down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_point_distributions_of_the_FedEx_Cup

Earn enough money and the points will take care of themselves.

My mistake, his earnings on the web.com tour got him his card for 2017/18. He got the last spot available by earning $487 more than the player below him.

Prize money does translate to points though, and the figure I quoted earlier would probably equate to the number of FedEx points Seamus will need to get his card and secure full playing rights for next year. At the moment he’s on a secondary card for finishing outside top 125 and those that finished 126 - 149 I think are given secondary playing rights in limited tour events. I must look into it a bit more to fully understand it. It isn’t like the American’s to have a complicated system at all...

Earn enough money and the points will take care of themselves.

Some tournaments have more money than others but points remain the same across the board bar a few. So you could lose a card and have earn more money.

Holed a pitch on 15 for eagle to get to 7 under. Now in a tie for 5th and 4 off the lead.

If he could putt any way decently he’d be up at the top of the leaderboard.
    He never looks positive or confident over a putt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

If he could putt any way decently he’d be up at the top of the leaderboard.
    He never looks positive or confident over a putt.

He made a 24 foot and 12 foot putt the first two holes. He’s 33rd in putting this week which is basically right on the average for those that made the weekend. You can do very well putting like that if your game is good tee to green. It’s the same for all bar the top 10% of putters, if they hole a few more they’ll do well.

Has he just shank one on 2 from middle of fairway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Nice 3 birdies in a row to the 5th to be tied 3rd. Scoring seems very low today so has to be seen in context, but still a great start.

He got to within 2 shots of the lead yesterday at one point, finished 8 off the lead last night. He’s back to within 3 shots but there’s an awful lot of traffic on the leaderboard. A strong back 9 and get into the clubhouse with a -12 or -13 and you never know.

Jesus a poor back 9 is about to get worse on 16. He could finish outside top 20 if he’s not careful. Was t-4 an hour ago and is going to be 16th if not worse walking into 17. Another missed opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pissing it away down the stretch again unfortunately. Just took 4 to get down from over the back of 16 and now just about in top 20, having been T4 an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He just cant close :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

he doesn't do Sundays

The pair of 71s Saturday and Sunday really cost Seamus. This has to go down as a real missed opportunity for him. Twice over the weekend he got to within a couple of shots and fell back again. The damage was done on Saturday as he finished 8 behind having been two behind midway through his round. It ended up being a tournament nobody seemed like they wanted to win. Considering Seamus got to -9 a couple of different times over the last two days, he has to be kicking himself he couldn’t kick on.

Not getting the win is disappointing enough but throw in the fact he finished 19th and banked less than $100k and a small number of points it’s really been a disappointing weekend. However, he played very well for probably 60 out of 72 holes. Few loose shots on Thursday cost him and the 16th yesterday was a disaster. Still another cut made and the signs are encouraging. I think he knows himself he’s close, it’s just a case of getting the head right because he seems to have every shot in the book. He wouldn’t be on that PGA tour if he didn’t. He’s obviously a streaky player and Jesus if he could only get over the line once it would be an absolute game changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

-7 for Seamus in the latest Monday qualifier.

He is currently 2nd with 4 spots available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

paulos53 wrote: »
    -7 for Seamus in the latest Monday qualifier.

He is currently 2nd with 4 spots available

Finished in 2nd so will tee up on Thursday.

I’ll be interested to see what odds he is. Might be worth a small squeak for first round leader or a top 10/20 bet if he’s at a generous 3 figure price in the outright market

His Sunday troubles aside, he has been playing very well recently

“This was an especially important Monday for Seamus Power for a pretty unknown reason: one of the ways a player can collect on their Tour pension is to make at least 15 starts in each of five seasons. Power has just 11 starts this year, and he knows he will get into three more events. On Monday he will attempt to qualify for the Rocket Mortgage Classic and get to the magic number of 15.”

https://firepitcollective.com/monday-qualifiers-musings/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

one of the ways a player can collect on their Tour pension is to make at least 15 starts in each of five seasons. Power has just 11 starts this year, and he knows he will get into three more events.

https://firepitcollective.com/monday-qualifiers-musings/

Does this mean he will be able to collect a tour pension? Or is this just one of the 5 years in total that are needed?

Advertisement