Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Didn't see any of yesterdays play but was tracking his score, couldn't believe the start he had but great character to come back the way he did. Might suit him today, out early and with a less established player, could post a good score. Fingers crossed he gets off to a good start and has a top ten finish, well capable of it.

He is paired with Poulter, hardly less established.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Pogue eile wrote: »
    He is paired with Poulter, hardly less established.

Sorry you're spot on, was mixing him up with Kearney's playing partner in the BMW in Munich

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Didn't see any of yesterdays play but was tracking his score, couldn't believe the start he had but great character to come back the way he did. Might suit him today, out early and with a less established player, could post a good score. Fingers crossed he gets off to a good start and has a top ten finish, well capable of it.

Someone will go low today and post a score and Seamus out 2 hours before the leaders so fingers crossed he can post a good score. He was playing with Kisner yesterday who also played shît so hopefully if Poulter plays well Seamus will feed off it.

Look it, these Sundays are what it’s all about for him and these type of days are why he’s a professional golfer. As an amateur it’s incredibly hard for me to keep the head when I know I have a good score going so I can’t imagine how hard it is on the PGA tour when you’re playing for your livelihood. Winning is the hardest thing to do in golf and Seamus obviously has some sort of mental block. He’s due a strong finish he has been in this position enough times now he has to make one of them count. It’s funny, if he holed his par putt last night I’d give him a great chance today but that one shot difference just makes me think his chance could be gone. There’s an awful lot of traffic on the leaderboard in front of him so he really needed to be one or two shots better than he is. But, he still has a chance. Cmon Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭greyday

1over after 3, an improvement on yesterday, Kisner -6 after 15.

Is the shot tracker right on that bogey seems wierd he only hit his 2nd 2ft...

Missing the fairway is also shocking enough with an iron

Birdied the 7th to get back to level for his round. Needs to find a few birdies and post a score like Kisner has done. He’s played the back 9 well this week so fingers crossed he pushes on.

Seamus birdied the par 4 10th to get to -7, missed an 8 foot putt on 11 to get to within three. He’s currently inside the top 20 but with so many players behind him that’s going to change and could change quickly as players start picking up shots. Finish -11 needs to be the target. It’s worth mentioning he seems to be hitting good putts they just aren’t dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

A top 10 would be a good result

Top 8 for me who backed him e/w would be even better

Another birdie for Seamus, now to -8 and currently tied 12th. Yesterday was a huge missed opportunity and his first 4 holes did all the damage. Anything under par yesterday would have put him in the thick of it today. Still, a good chance to post a good score and sit back and see how much money/points he’ll pick up. A top 10 finish is in his mind as he knows it gets him into the next event.

• Advertisement

Seamus is playing some stuff, a fourth birdie of the day to get him to -9 with three holes to play.

Puts his ball in the water on the par 3 16th. Goodnight Irene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Motivator wrote: »
    Seamus is playing some stuff, a fourth birdie of the day to get him to -9 with three holes to play.

Cmon Seamus, a good strong finish now hopefully for a crucial top 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

You just knew he'd do something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Aah no. Get the 4 and 2 birdies then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He just cant help himself :(

• Advertisement

And then misses the green with his 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

right on cue

Seamus chipped in from 15 foot for a double bogey. Nearly put his third shot in the water from the drop zone and then duffed his 4th shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Good come back after his first 4 holes yesterday, shame about the 16th. Fair play for chipping in for the double, his head must have been spinning at the time. Beat Poulter by 3 shots in their 2 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

It's all building experience of being on the leaderboard on final day.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    It's all building experience of being on the leaderboard on final day.

Winning a PGA tour event is incredibly hard, you need as much luck as you do ability to get over the line. Seamus has had plenty of experience in his time on tour, I’d say it’s easily the 6th or 7th time he has been in the final couple of groups on a Saturday and had been in the final or penultimate group twice on a Sunday and unfortunately just hasn’t been able to push on. The killer with today is he was in prime position to get a top 10 finish and qualify himself for the next event. He now has to try and put the disappointment of this weekend (I’m sure he’ll be disappointed) out of his head and go and tackle another Monday qualifier.

Whatever about winning, he needs to stop turning top 10s into top 30s

Tied 19 in the end for Seamus, level with Bubba who was in the lead with 5 holes left. Imagine the comments if Seamus had that finish (+6 last 5 holes).

Speak Now wrote: »
    Tied 19 in the end for Seamus, level with Bubba who was in the lead with 5 holes left. Imagine the comments if Seamus had that finish (+6 last 5 holes).

The only comment I was going to make was that it can happen to the best of them. Mad stuff watching Bubba implode. Hard to feel sorry for a fella with $40m in the bank and two green jackets in his wardrobe though. Just goes to show even the best of them can lose the head on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Speak Now wrote: »

Blimey! Stopped following when Seamus finished. Assumed Bubba was going to be the eventual winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

if Seamus had parred the 16th instead of doubling it, he would have gotten top 10 and qualified automatically for next week. So disappointing for him

Seamus is now up to 149 in the FedEx Cup standings but only has 208 points. Pat Perez is in 125th and has 325 so that will tell you Seamus has to do in order to get into the 125 bracket and he hasn’t that long to do it. He needs to qualify for the Rocket Mortgages and then have a top 10 to shoot up the board.

The pressure is on now and even to get the restricted status he’s currently on he needs to make sure he stays playing well to get enough of those if he doesn’t get inside the 125.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Understand the point a previous poster was making on the mental side being what separates the top guys from the nearly men.

However, there's clearly some kind of psychological block with Seamus at the moment. He's clearly playing very well, without having a full tour card, he's consistently on the front page of leaderboards, but every time he's about to achieve what he needs to, a big number comes in from nowhere and then once that pressure and expectation is off again, back he comes, only to repeat the cycle.

He must be tearing his hair out, I would be. He's obviously mentally strong to keep coming back and fighting. To bounce back and Monday qualify shows great determination and heart. But I can't help but feel there's something he could unlock to get over this hump that's clearly stopping him from having a full card and a comfortable career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Its hard to watch, he has some serious talent there is no doubt about that. He gets himself in such good positions all the time.
    3rd round start of 4 bogeys in a row killed his chances off.

I dont see much of him on the TV, is it his putting that lets him down or is it just an overall collapse in his game when its going against him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pity he's not showing up at the Irish open.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

That is the difference between a top player and a player around keeping their card.

Top players can do the 4 top round where others can do 2/3 rounds but throw in a few bad holes and rounds.

Maybe he is leaderboard watching or feels the pressure of a late round.

Only Seamus knows what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

His mission is to get his PGA tour card back. Why would he come over here for an Irish Open when he is going so well in the States at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Truth is he can't afford to. I'm sure he'd love to but his livelihood is on the line at the moment.

Think he cam back for one, was it Lahinch? When he had a full tour card and was going reasonably well.

Unfortunately Seamus is prone to mistakes and when mistakes happen they tend to happen at the wrong time. He stood on the tee at 16 yesterday in 9th place and that score ended up being tied 10th so it would have got him into this week’s tournament as an automatic qualifier, he’d had banked an extra $100k and moved even further up the FedEx standings. A 19th place finish looks great, and it is great, if you didn’t know the story of the first two days. It’s a serious missed opportunity and he’ll know it as well.

In terms of talent, he’s as talented as any player out there. His short game is magical and his iron play has improved a huge amount over the last year or so. I don’t think he had any three putts Saturday or Sunday but he just couldn’t get anything going. I’m disappointed for him, as are others on here that follow him, so I can only imagine how disappointed he is not have finished off the week better than he did. Saturday was the day it slipped away though, only two players in the top 30 didn’t shoot better than level par and Seamus was one of them.

He’s in qualifier action today for the Rocket Mortgages this weekend. I expect another solid performance and for us all to get our hopes up again this week!

His mission is to get his PGA tour card back. Why would he come over here for an Irish Open when he is going so well in the States at the moment?

He didn’t get an invite to the Irish Open. Even if he did he wouldn’t have played. In his own words he needs to make sure he still has a job in America come September so he needs to focus on getting his full status back before he can think about playing anything internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Unfortunately Seamus is prone to mistakes and when mistakes happen they tend to happen at the wrong time. He stood on the tee at 16 yesterday in 9th place and that score ended up being tied 10th so it would have got him into this week’s tournament as an automatic qualifier, he’d had banked an extra $100k and moved even further up the FedEx standings. A 19th place finish looks great, and it is great, if you didn’t know the story of the first two days. It’s a serious missed opportunity and he’ll know it as well.

In terms of talent, he’s as talented as any player out there. His short game is magical and his iron play has improved a huge amount over the last year or so. I don’t think he had any three putts Saturday or Sunday but he just couldn’t get anything going. I’m disappointed for him, as are others on here that follow him, so I can only imagine how disappointed he is not have finished off the week better than he did. Saturday was the day it slipped away though, only two players in the top 30 didn’t shoot better than level par and Seamus was one of them.

He’s in qualifier action today for the Rocket Mortgages this weekend. I expect another solid performance and for us all to get our hopes up again this week!

What are the strengths and weaknesses of his game?

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What are the strengths and weaknesses of his game?

His driving accuracy is poor compared to the tour average, it’s no coincidence his best finishes this year have come on courses that are forgiving with big open fairways. He’s a big hitter though, so his chances of getting out of trouble after a poor drive are helped. His putting probably could be better, he’s just on the wrong side of the tour avg number of putts per round.

It’s worth noting that these players have very few weak points and there’s only slight kinks in their game compared to the truly elite bracket. Seamus scoring avg have been good for the last number of years. It really is just the smallest details that separate the tour players.

His iron play and his short game are fantastic. From 70 yards in I’d guess he’s as good as any player on tour but I’d need to check the stats on that so I could be wrong. He’s widely regarded as a great short game player on tour though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

He didn’t get an invite to the Irish Open. Even if he did he wouldn’t have played. In his own words he needs to make sure he still has a job in America come September so he needs to focus on getting his full status back before he can think about playing anything internationally.

Eh, that's more or less what I said?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

His driving accuracy is poor compared to the tour average, it’s no coincidence his best finishes this year have come on courses that are forgiving with big open fairways. He’s a big hitter though, so his chances of getting out of trouble after a poor drive are helped. His putting probably could be better, he’s just on the wrong side of the tour avg number of putts per round.

It’s worth noting that these players have very few weak points and there’s only slight kinks in their game compared to the truly elite bracket. Seamus scoring avg have been good for the last number of years. It really is just the smallest details that separate the tour players.

His iron play and his short game are fantastic. From 70 yards in I’d guess he’s as good as any player on tour but I’d need to check the stats on that so I could be wrong. He’s widely regarded as a great short game player on tour though.

Was there a time maybe 3/4 years ago when he was near the top of the stats for putting ? I have a very vague recollection of that (I think). I notice he's using the pencil/claw grip now which usually doesn't bode well for someone's putting.
    He really just needs to catch a break some weekend though and hopefully get a Sunday when he can keep the driver on the planet and shoot the 67 rather than the 73 which could be all he needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Russman wrote: »
    Was there a time maybe 3/4 years ago when he was near the top of the stats for putting ? I have a very vague recollection of that (I think). I notice he's using the pencil/claw grip now which usually doesn't bode well for someone's putting.
    He really just needs to catch a break some weekend though and hopefully get a Sunday when he can keep the driver on the planet and shoot the 67 rather than the 73 which could be all he needs.

What makes you say the grip doesn't bode well? I have started using that grip this year and my putting has improved a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

srfc d16 wrote: »
    What makes you say the grip doesn't bode well? I have started using that grip this year and my putting has improved a fair bit.

Just an opinion really. At that level I can't think of many really good putters using it, if they started conventional. Seamus may well have always used it for all I know. It was just the memory I have of him being a top putter and now he's not and noticing he's gone to the claw made me think there's an issue. Not necessarily with the claw per se, but the fact that he changed method (if he did indeed change).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

He was on the timesheet for the qualifier earlier today but it looks like he didn't play.

He is currently 4th on the list of alternates so maybe he is expecting some withdrawals before Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

paulos53 wrote: »
    He was on the timesheet for the qualifier earlier today but it looks like he didn't play.

He is currently 4th on the list of alternates so maybe he is expecting some withdrawals before Thursday

He’s up to 3rd alternate already. I don’t k ow the exact ins and outs but it’s remarkable how often the first handful of alternates get in on any given week, the fields are so big there’s always a couple of guys with a niggle or some reason why they might bail out Tuesday or Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭greyday

Covid might be a help to him this week.

The first alternate, Ben Martin, is in a 7 way tie for the lead in the Monday qualifier. If he can get through a playoff then it would bump Seamus up another spot

• Advertisement

Bizarre goings on in the playoff.

Ben Martin hits his approach to 3 foot on the 1st hole. As he walks to the green he is told that Erik Van Rooyen has withdrawn so he is in the field.

No need for him to complete the playoff so he picks up his ball.

Seamus moves up to 2nd alternate but if Van Rooyen had waited another few minutes to WD then he would be 1st alternate.

Seamus gets in to the Rocket Mortgages this week, two players have come out so Seamus gets in as 2nd alternate. I’ve just read an interesting quote on how much he likes the course in Detroit. Hopefully a good week to come for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That the pension sorted so?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That the pension sorted so?

13th event of the season but guaranteed 2 more once he stays fit.

This would only be his 4th season hitting 15, guessing they may have given a derogation last year due to covid when he played 11.

Seamus gets in to the Rocket Mortgages this week, two players have come out so Seamus gets in as 2nd alternate. I’ve just read an interesting quote on how much he likes the course in Detroit. Hopefully a good week to come for him.

He was in contention last year

• Advertisement
Advertisement