Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyways back to Seamus. He's been trending upwards for quite a while now. He's contending almost every week, if he keeps that up for the rest of the year he could be in the top ten in the world rankings. He's playing as well over the last year as anybody.

Some golfers are slow to hit their prime and enjoy their best golf between their early thirties and mid-forties. Hopefully that's the case with Seamus.

In July 2020 he finished tied 12th on the Rocket Mortgage classic to move from 505th in the world to 432nd.

Forward on 12 months and he won the Barbasol to move up to 113th in the rankings.

Since then he's moved up the rankings after almost every tournament.

He came into this tournanent hot having finished 4th, 15th, 3rd and 14th in his last four tournaments. He's currently 47th in the world and I'd imagine a win in this would push him up to the high 20's.

I'd disagree with that, I honestly don't remember him ever win a tournament that the winner came in close to level par outside of his PGA championship and his Open win at Birkdale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Well you're disagreeing with something I didn't say. Padraig would not have been anyone's favourite in a birdie fest.

That's not the same as saying he only won shooting par. Which would be ridiculous.

Anyway, as you said. Back to Seamus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

It was at the Belfry and the club got his scorecards in preparation for framing them if he won. When they examined the cards, they found that Michael Campbell had signed Padraig’s card and he was disqualified. If it hadn’t been discovered before play started, he would not have been disqualified. I remember Padraig got a lot of praise for how he handled the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I fear Cantlay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I still don't think he's getting enough coverage from our media over here considering what he's doing

8 feet for eagle on the first. He's absolutely flushing it

No eagle at the first, misread the putt, but still an opening birdie

Bogey on the par 3, he's +1 for the par 3's for the week to this point, -8 for the par 4's and the par 5's.

• Advertisement

Seamus looking just a little bit nervy so far. Hopefully he gets over it and kicks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Yep, he has pulled last couple of tee shots, his swing looked a bit quick. The back 9 in Monterrey has some handy par 5s so Seamus not taking advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is today's round fierce slow? Like, slower than last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Great putt to save par on 18, hope he settles into it now and gets a birdie or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Was listening to pga tour radio and they were on about how the course is one that Seamus said that he has had difficulty with previously

Hes gonna be back with the pack by the end of this round I reckon.

Glass half full, hopefully this is the bad round out of the way and he can go out tomorrow on PB and shoot the winning score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Seamus struggling big time ...two bogeys in three holes and not exploiting the par 5s. Two shots worse than the rookie John Murphy !

Needs to regroup before this slides away from him.

Could be 3 in a row now. In some thick rough. Night and day from yesterday, he was piping driver on nearly every hole. He's hitting 3wood/rescue all day today and is pulling most of them.

It's really starting to fall apart for him right now.

Scratch that, he was in a bunker and has hit a decent shot into the green so should be a minimum par

Seamus lipped out for birdie on his 11th hole and then birdied 12 after just being joined for the lead by Beau Hossler.

Hopefully he can kick on now and open open a gap again.

• Advertisement

Another birdie for Seamus, back to level par on the day and a one **** lead over Hossler whose finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Back to Seamus now after Leona wrapping it up. Brilliant! Hopefully he can get another couple of birdies and look forward to getting back to Pebble Beach with a 3 shot lead. Can still be an epic weekend!

Hopefully Seamus can get the win tomorrow, but if not hopefully he can do the next best thing and wrap a 3 wood around Bill Murray's head.

Bill Murray is a legend. Always entertains at Pebble Beach. He's playing that Pro-Am for years and the fans love him. He's going around talking to lots of fans.

If you have a problem with Bill Murray then it's you that is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seamie well entitled to have an off day. Still well in the hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dreadful stuff today unfortunately. Hopefully a strong finish tomorrow but could slip back into the pack as easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He’s not out of this yet. The pressure will be off him tomorrow and he can get motoring again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've OD on sports today, tuned out before the end, how many shots is he behind the leader?

We'll look at your post again and explain how anybody is supposed to make it out to be a joke.

And I don't need to dry my eyes, I just posted straight up truths.

• Advertisement

One behind at present with two holes to play. But putter has gone very cold. Hopefully, he won’t drop any more shots in the last two holes.

Well I don't genuinely want to see Seamus murder somebody on live TV if that's what you thought. I'm just tired of seeing Bill Murray shots rather than the pros' ones!

Anyway, I think Seamus being behind going into tomorrow might be a good thing as he can freewheel and the pressure will be off

And another 3 putt to finish! Now two shots off the lead and outside the top 5.

Jaysis. Would take top 10 from here. Not at the races today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Only player in top 20 over par, pity. But still well in running

By the way on Bill Murray, I think he's a complete gobsh*the!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tried watching some of this earlier but its literally unwatchable.

Ads, a panoramic shot, an aerial shot, show a couple of shots, another Ad break and then repeat on an infinite loop.

Why cant they show some bloody golf, whats the issue, are there only a couple of cameras on the course, its extremely frustrating.

I think the pressure got to him a bit, it was a big lead and he's never been in that position, I still think he could do well tomorrow when coming from behind.

Love Bill Murray as an actor but no interest in seeing him on a golf course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This has been driving me nuts, why is there so many adds for the AT&T? Is this normally the case?

Seamus has a lot of work on with his coach before he tees off tomorrow. His driving went and then he lost pretty much his entire game at different times. His irons went off then his putting went.

Lot of work but at least he'll be going in there hungry to shoot a score after what happened today. It's pretty loaded now with so many so close to the lead and having both Cantlay and Spieth right there makes it difficult to see him winning.

I just hope he doesn't fall away, often seen that happen to players who lose a big lead on day three.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

A bizarre round of golf, any shot they showed he just never looked comfortable at all out there. I don’t think he needs to do anything on the range I think he needs to go to bed. Another near 6 hour round, when things aren’t going well I’d say the last thing he wants to be doing is waiting on Dermot Desmond to be hitting his 3rd shot before Seamus hits his second. When things aren’t going well that must be a factor as well. There didn’t seem to be as much chatting between the group today or maybe the cameras just didn’t show it.

I think if we were told Wednesday evening that Seamus would be 2 behind going into round 4 we’d all have been delighted. He’s not out of this at all and I can’t see Spieth doing that again tomorrow, then again maybe he will, but I think Seamus knows he needs a -8 at a minimum and that mightn’t even be enough. The frustrating thing is even a level par today from Seamus and he’d still be leading. Huge opportunity for him tomorrow with an awful lot on the line. Any sort of repeat of Thursday or yesterday and whoever finishes ahead of him wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Yeah a disappointing day for Seamus. What was so effortless on the first two days was a real struggle yesterday if anything his score could have been worse, his short game in particular disappeared. Still it was probably the first time he has led a PGA event after 2 rounds so he was in unchartered territory and will learn from the experience. Its probably in his interest to be back in the pack now but I think after his last few holes last night a good start will be important to steady him. Top 5 finish would still be huge for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The attitude of “sneak a top 5” needs to go though, he’s not thinking that anymore. He knows he’s good enough to win and absolutely that was his attitude before because he was in dire need of points and money but the win is the goal today. In the grand scheme of things yeah a top 5 is great - more points, more OWGR points and more money but two weeks ago was a missed opportunity and if he doesn’t win today then it’s a huge negative because he couldn’t have been in a better position. He’s always had to come to challenge to try get a win but this is different.

Did a 5 shot lead starting day 3 have an effect? Absolutely it did, huge pressure on him to continue performing and he was probably caught in no man’s land in terms of his mentality. Try to kick on and try and shoot a 65 or 66 and mistakes can happen. Play too conservatively and mistakes can happen. He couldn’t win the tournament yesterday but he could play himself out of it. He actually did well to shoot +3 because when things start going against you it can easily turn ugly and it can happen fast.

Today, just go for it. Attack everything and see how it goes. Totally different mentality today and the chips are down now. A win would be fantastic as we all know, but the main test today is how his mind will cope after a poor day yesterday when so much was expected. In the words of Ger Loughnane “we’re going to do it”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

hoping for a bounce back today,often happens to an early front runner in golf where on round 3 they fall off the pace and get right back into it on last day,

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Obviously we're all hoping he wins but today will tell us a lot about his mental strength and how he deals with how he performed yesterday. As he showed over the first two days (and last few weeks) he absolutely has the game but just needs to get that second win which will give him even more confidence going forward. Here's hoping he does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

In fairness to SP I think he was playing the hardest of the 3 courses, but he is well capable, on present form, off winning from 2 behind

Varner winning means he probably needs a strong finish to stay in the top 50? Vernier projected to jump to 44.

He would have bit your hand off for 2 back going into Sunday. Hopefully that's the way he views it and goes out shoots a similar score to Friday. If he does that he'll be in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Closing out a big lead is difficult and if it was the final round it would be a proper disaster, but it wasn't, so Seamus still has the chance to turn it all around again today. 66 and see where it leaves him and he can hold his head up high.

As others have said it's all part of the learning curve and you have to lose before you can win. The thing I'm most annoyed about is that we'll see bugger all of him tonight unless he starts hot and gets back in the lead, they'll be showing every shot of Spieth, Cantlay and Day, at least he's playing with Day so they probably be someone following them.

Never get the Lowry bashing in this thread, how is Seamus' success a stick to beat Shane with. Shane led a US Open by 4 after 3 rounds before learning enough from that to comfortably win an Open. Seamus is going great guns, but he's barely played a major let alone led one by 4 and won another by 6!

I'm reading this thread for three days and I haven't seen any Lowry 'bashing' as you call it. As a matter of fact the only mention of Lowry that I can remember was me saying that if Seamus won this weekend that he would jump Lowry in the world ranking list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement