Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for a portable retro gaming device?

• 09-10-2016 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking of going the Supaboy route but heard it doesn't play Pal games, and it would be nice to have a device to play other consoles. Heard the psp was great but would prefer something I wouldn't have to mod(maybe it's easy?)

Thanks! :o

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Was thinking of going the Supaboy route but heard it doesn't play Pal games, and it would be nice to have a device to play other consoles. Heard the psp was great but would prefer something I wouldn't have to mod(maybe it's easy?)

Thanks! :o

Well, the entire PSP range is readily softmoddable, and, aside from the Go, the change to custom firmware is permanent, meaning you can then install all the emulators and homebrew you like.
    I have both a Slim PSP and a PSP Go set up with custom firmware and they're pretty great.
    Plus, you can convert PS games, or find them pre converted, to run on the PSP too, I have Starblade Alpha and Need for Speed living their now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah the psp is great for emulation, super easy to put custom firmware on it. Just drag and drop some files

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually found the PSP pretty rank for some emulation. some are decent but looks like you are interested in SNES games and SNES emulation is horrendous on the PSP unfortunately.

I'd also recommend against the supaboy, it's badly made. Also you really should not be playing PAL games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I picked up a GPD XD and a 128GB SD recently and find it really great for pretty much everything from the 8bits up to Playstation. It's an Android device, so you have the Playstore and its large selection of emulators (it's a fairly powerful device, so most high end Android game run great on it as well).

It looks like a 3DS, so the screen folds over and is protected when not in use, which i like :)

blue-gpd-screenshot0161-625x440.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Can you play C64 Games on that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes

Can you play C64 Games on that?

Yes, I have everything from the Amstrad/C64 to 3DO to Playstation and even the Latest Saturn emulators running on it (needless to say the 16bits run very well on it).
    The biggest issue a lot of people have with the GPD is the lack of Bluetooth. It’s got HDMI out, but you need to plug a Bluetooth dongle in or use a wired controller. But I don’t plan to use it on a TV so it’s a non-issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

what about the gp2x?

Bob Z wrote: »
    what about the gp2x?

For the time it was decent, but is lacking in power a bit these days. It'll run 8/16bit games fine as far as I can remember, but its been 5 or 6 years since I had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

can all psps be hacked to use emulaters? my brother reckons mine is one of the few that cant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I picked up a GPD XD and a 128GB SD recently and find it really great for pretty much everything from the 8bits up to Playstation. It's an Android device, so you have the Playstore and its large selection of emulators (it's a fairly powerful device, so most high end Android game run great on it as well).

It looks like a 3DS, so the screen folds over and is protected when not in use, which i like :)

blue-gpd-screenshot0161-625x440.jpg

I have one of these as well. It's an excellent device for playing on the go. It can run emulators as advanced as ps/n64/dc. Battery life is great too.

It's easily rooted and you can install ad blockers so that free emulators don't show ads.

The only downside is that you need to spend a bit of time setting it up - basically removing some pre-installed software and installing other emulators.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bob Z wrote: »
    can all psps be hacked to use emulaters? my brother reckons mine is one of the few that cant

All Playstation Portable consoles can have custom firmware installed regardless of current official firmware.
    The PSP Go, the one with the solid state memory and no UMD drive, can also have custom firmware installed regardless of official firmware but, if the unit is turned off, it has to be redone. To make it easier a simple shortcut is installed on the PSP Go allowing you to reinitialise the CFW with the click of an icon, and you're good to go once again.
    I have both systems running homebrew and other good things with no problems.

A PSP can had for small monies these days and, even with the limits of the hardware for emulation, it's a nice device.
    I have it running some great hacked PS1 games, and they run perfectly on the little system, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Rage Racer on the go!!

Advertisement