Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie fancies a Double DIN

• 09-10-2016 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As it says in the title!

I have absolutely no idea what's possible, but I'd like to get a decent unit that has touch screen, bluetooth (for handsfree calling), satnav, capable of playing video and audio (via bluetooth on my phone or via USB stick / sd card?) and connecting to the internet (tethering on my phone / dedicated SIM with data?). What options do I have? Any links to units you would recommend? What operating system do these run, Android?

BTW my car is a '99 Porsche Boxster. It's an easy job to move the aircon unit and remove the original / aftermarket stereo (this frees up a large area suitable for the Double DIN) and there are cheap kits available for my car to let you mount a standard Double DIN unit in this area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭MobileAudio

Before jumping in and buying a touch screen unit think about how easy...or not that will be to use when driving. If you do decide to go for a touch screen unit I would at least get one with a rotary volume knob.

Some times the old ways are the better and when it comes to operating anything in a car while driving the tactile feel of good old fashioned knobs and buttons can't be beat. It's only when you try adjusting a touch screen unit on the move you realize what a bad idea they can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fair point and I am completely open in what to get. Touch screen is not even one of my priorities. What I do fancy is a unit that would do all the mod cons and drag my 90s car into 2017!

I just installed a full android set up in mine,
    Recommended !

Honestly tho 99% of the time your just going to use the radio/music from the SD/bluetooth.

They do look cool tho!

Any link to what you bought, BrownFinger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Foxhole Norman recommended me an Eonon Android head unit a while back. They are sold under a few other names such as Pumpkin but are manufactured by the same company. I got it on Amazon.co.uk and I've had a great experience so far.

It has been basically plug and play and all steering wheel controls are working out of the box. I am tethering my mobile data through my phone and I can basically play Spotify through the head unit, it's great!

Some pictures:
    shietpilot wrote: »
    Installed my Eonon Android head unit today. Perfect day for the installation after work because all the radio stations were banging with 90s club classics :p

Everything was really plug and play except for the amplifier power cable. Works awesome! I'm tethering my phone's data using WiFi and then I can listen to Spotify while driving.

6qir9cw.jpg?1

th41q3J.jpg?1

NCDAzST.jpg?1

pYYemVW.jpg?1

KSnMyMH.jpg?1

dM0ZIa6.jpg?1

Also changed the post-cat O2 sensor on the Yaris. Emissions improved a bit but will still fail so I will do the pre-cat sensor next. The post-cat sensor was in bits and the cap was loose on it.

• Advertisement

I will but I was a custom shape for VW.
    I belive they make the same unit to fill different models but not sure if they have a standard double din one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252486555321?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It also hooked right up to the can bus,
    so the steering wheel controls etc all work as should.
    Something I didnt expect was that it displays other info from the car like this.My original unit did't even tho it was a touch screen double din.

Also if a door is open you get a picture on the screen showing which door.

IZFreWO.jpg

Very cool but my 90s car doesn't have any of that functionality :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

whats good that doesnt have steering wheel control for 03 mk 4 golf?

emo72 wrote: »
    whats good that doesnt have steering wheel control for 03 mk 4 golf?

you dont need the steering wheel controls for the radio to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

you dont need the steering wheel controls for the radio to work.

sorry, probably didnt phrase that correctly. i dont have and dont want steering wheel controls. just a goodish double din that can stream music to from phone and take calls via bluetooth.

• Advertisement

No I got you but as I said you can get any radio that you fancy.
    Supporting swc is just an extra feature.
    They don't come with the controls but tie into the factory buttons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thanks for the replies lads. I've actually decided to do nothing. Major concern is when I go hiking in the mountains, I leave the car exposed. And a high end unit would be an attraction for someone to break in. Slash the roof open. Car has comprehensive insurance, but still. Also the speakers currently in the car are the base ones and would need upgrading too if I decided on a new unit. And then I would still have only 2 speakers. To get the most out of the unit, I would probably need rear speakers and a subwoofer too.

And the current Sony unit is perfectly fine for bluetooth handsfree calling as well as playing music off my phone (also has USB and aux) in just about acceptable quality. And my phone is ok as satnav too (on one of those magnetic holders). Don't really listen to music on the go that much and the music from the flat 6 behind my ears is pretty loud as is too :p

Advertisement