Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clusters of upsetting dreams

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I have a few recurring dreams. I havent noticed them in clusters although I did have a very bad dream two weeks ago about a family member dying which i found so upsetting and another odd one last night about rats mocking me?? :-s

One of the recurring ones is where a plane crashes into my bedroom a bit like in Donny Darko although i didnt really rate that movie :) Another which i believe is quite common is loosing my teeth and that can be quite scary and feels very real at the time. And one where I am not prepared to take an exam at leaving cert. During my leaving cert, there were one or two teachers absent for some time and it stressed me out, i guess it still pops into my dreams many years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I have a few recurring dreams. I havent noticed them in clusters although I did have a very bad dream two weeks ago about a family member dying which i found so upsetting and another odd one last night about rats mocking me?? :-s

One of the recurring ones is where a plane crashes into my bedroom a bit like in Donny Darko although i didnt really rate that movie :) Another which i believe is quite common is loosing my teeth and that can be quite scary and feels very real at the time. And one where I am not prepared to take an exam at leaving cert. During my leaving cert, there were one or two teachers absent for some time and it stressed me out, i guess it still pops into my dreams many years later.

Great first post! :)

I still get leaving cert dreams, and they're definitely distressing. They're almost always a mix of the past and present for me: like I'll be driving my current car to school (never drove back then) and I'll be worried about balancing homework and study with my current job. Furthermore, these types of dreams seem to be the only ones where I obtain some form of lucidit, where it dawns on me that I have a degree and job, and with that realisation, I wake up, albeit a little bit flustered.

Great first post! :)

I still get leaving cert dreams, and they're definitely distressing. They're almost always a mix of the past and present for me: like I'll be driving my current car to school (never drove back then) and I'll be worried about balancing homework and study with my current job.

Yea it is funny how dreams can mix time and you don't even question it within the dream. You just know or accept it as it is.

Sometimes in my dreams, someone in the dream is a stranger and does not look like anyone I know and then all of a sudden, the person turns out to be someone I do know and changes to look like that person but i never question it in the dream, the story just continues on!

Yea it is funny how dreams can mix time and you don't even question it within the dream. You just know or accept it as it is.

Sometimes in my dreams, someone in the dream is a stranger and does not look like anyone I know and then all of a sudden, the person turns out to be someone I do know and changes to look like that person but i never question it in the dream, the story just continues on!

Yeah it's strange what we know is both similar yet different in dreams. I once dreamt that Waterford here had cobblestone streets but with lots of neon signs like in Blade Runner.

Yeah it's strange what we know is both similar yet different in dreams. I once dreamt that Waterford here had cobblestone streets but with lots of neon signs like in Blade Runner.

:D

I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen Blade Runner yet, although my father has been recommending it to me for years.

So would the addition of Blade Runner style neon signs in Waterford be a good dream or a nightmare? :)

• Advertisement

:D

I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen Blade Runner yet, although my father has been recommending it to me for years.

So would the addition of Blade Runner style neon signs in Waterford be a good dream or a nightmare? :)

Neither here nor there. lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Stalker dream. Walking back to my flat late night alone, getting that feeling that someone was closing-in behind me. Kept looking back, but saw no one. Expecting to see someone spring out from shadows. Tried to walk a bit faster, but it was like walking in mud, slowing me down in dream. Then I awoke.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Stalker dream. Walking back to my flat late night alone, getting that feeling that someone was closing-in behind me. Kept looking back, but saw no one. Expecting to see someone spring out from shadows. Tried to walk a bit faster, but it was like walking in mud, slowing me down in dream. Then I awoke.

Sorry to hear that, Swannie. Sounds distressing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sorry to hear that, Swannie. Sounds distressing.
    Such dreams used to be more recurrent when I was younger, but fortunately not as frequent now. You lads have it made not normally being stalked in real life.

Such dreams used to be more recurrent when I was younger, but fortunately not as frequent now. You lads have it made not normally being stalked in real life.

From what I've heard, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Does anyone else find that they have clusters of upsetting dreams? I find I can often have two bad dreams a night, two or three nights in a row. Common themes are rejection and humiliation. I can't identify any triggers.

I had one dream were my boyfriend broke up with me and a week later, he did. I didn't even tell him about the dream. Sometimes dreams can be warning signs as well

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    I had one dream were my boyfriend broke up with me and a week later, he did. I didn't even tell him about the dream. Sometimes dreams can be warning signs as well

Jesus, that must have been a rollercoaster of a week there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I don't believe in premonitions. However, Some years ago, I dreamt that I read about the death of someone very important to me at that time. The dream was so intense that I woke up at 3.30am and couldn't go back to sleep. At 4.00 the following day, I got word that they had passed away during the night.

I don't believe in premonitions. However, Some years ago, I dreamt that I read about the death of someone very important to me at that time. The dream was so intense that I woke up at 3.30am and couldn't go back to sleep. At 4.00 the following day, I got word that they had passed away during the night.

Did that challenge your stance on premonitions at all?

Very much so. However, I remain sceptical about other-worldness. For me, to go down that path leads to religion and God. I'd rather just live my life without faith in anything that cannot be proven. It's easier and more sensible in my opinion.

I've written it off as an amazing coincidence. I can't explain it and nobody else would be able to either. Well, not to me anyway.

I am very skeptical about premonitions, but if I worry about something a lot during waking hours, sometimes those worries follow me into dreams.

Very much so. However, I remain sceptical about other-worldness. For me, to go down that path leads to religion and God. I'd rather just live my life without faith in anything that cannot be proven. It's easier and more sensible in my opinion.

I've written it off as an amazing coincidence. I can't explain it and nobody else would be able to either. Well, not to me anyway.

I'm interested in the paranormal. No faith at all here. That being said, I wouldn't be volunteering to use a ouija board. :D

I am very skeptical about premonitions, but if I worry about something a lot during waking hours, sometimes those worries follow me into dreams.

It's rather scary how your waking hours affect your dreams, and vice versa. A self reciprocal fountain of uneasiness at times.

I'm interested in the paranormal. No faith at all here. That being said, I wouldn't be volunteering to use a ouija board. :D
    Nothing wrong about fostering an interest in unexplained phenomena, but to suggest that paranormal exists for real represents more a "belief" rather than something empirically supported.

For me, the energies unleashed by ouija boards are akin to collective or mass hysteria. That's not to be disrespectful to others' beliefs because everyone is entitled to their beliefs.

Having said that, I'd certainly take part in an ouija board session just to see what happens and how it happens. Might end up having the crap scared out of me but I'd still hold on to the nothing proven until it's proven line.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong about fostering an interest in unexplained phenomena, but to suggest that paranormal exists for real represents more a "belief" rather than something empirically supported.

No, just more that I'd be too scared to "just in case"! :eek:

I'm awake since 4am. Gonna go to sleep now. Hopefully won't have any bad dreams. Goodnight, friends.

I'm awake since 4am. Gonna go to sleep now. Hopefully won't have any bad dreams. Goodnight, friends.

Happy sleepy dreamy Hugo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

GuessWhoEh wrote: »

They definitely can be warnings. Mine often used to tell me things I hadn't consciously acknowledged but kind of 'knew' deep down.

They definitely can be warnings. Mine often used to tell me things I hadn't consciously acknowledged but kind of 'knew' deep down.

Like you subconsciously knew?

Edit: just noticed the word consciously. Sorry. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Been awake for five hours and still shaken by the dreams i had. They've made me feel weak and anxious, not had that in some time..

Been awake for five hours and still shaken by the dreams i had. They've made me feel weak and anxious, not had that in some time..

*hugs* That sucks, G. :(

One of my dreams last night wasn't exactly upsetting, but it wasn't comfortable either.

In my dream, one of the friendly moms from my work was in my house with her sons. As in real life, I was smoking a cigarette in my garage. One of her sons jumped up and took my cigarette off me, and started to burn himself with it. He was screaming crying, but kept doing it. His mother ran in, took the cigarette off of him, threw it aside, and ran out with him in her arms. I immediately picked up a rock (don't know why a rock) and attempted to extinguish the cigarette. Every time I beat the rock on the cigarette, its embers would spread out. Soon they were everywhere and I began to panic. The dream then shifted to other random things, so it wasn't like I jumped awake or anything. I can't begin to figure out what this dream was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

One of my dreams last night wasn't exactly upsetting, but it wasn't comfortable either.

In my dream, one of the friendly moms from my work was in my house with her sons. As in real life, I was smoking a cigarette in my garage. One of her sons jumped up and took my cigarette off me, and started to burn himself with it. He was screaming crying, but kept doing it. His mother ran in, took the cigarette off of him, threw it aside, and ran out with him in her arms. I immediately picked up a rock (don't know why a rock) and attempted to extinguish the cigarette. Every time I beat the rock on the cigarette, its embers would spread out. Soon they were everywhere and I began to panic. The dream then shifted to other random things, so it wasn't like I jumped awake or anything. I can't begin to figure out what this dream was about.

Could it be simple guilt/worry about smoking cigarettes? No offense meant, I am a smoker!

• Advertisement

Could it be simple guilt/worry about smoking cigarettes? No offense meant, I am a smoker!

No offence taken. :)

That's a good hypothesis actually. Like cigarette smoking is, at least for me anyway, very much a love/hate thing.

Advertisement