Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cena vs Flairs record

• 10-10-2016 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Will cena ever equal or beat the record?

Does he deserve to?

Will anyone ever do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Will cena ever equal or beat the record?

Does he deserve to?

Will anyone ever do it?

What record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The WWE record is a phony one so I don't care. I think the real record is about 21 if I recall correctly, though it's disputed; but I think most historians agree it's way more than 16 which is just kayfabe, like the 93,000 figure for Mania III.

I think the WWE were dumb to start phasing down Cena a year or so ago and acting like he was old and over the hill. The guy doesn't look past it whatsoever and he's still making money so I think they should get as much out of him as they can before he genuinely does wind up worn out.

If that means a few more title reigns, so be it. I think Cena merits a few more title reigns and if that means he gets to have WWE's storyline record, more power to him.

Oh the one where he leads people to believe that he(Flair) has been WWF champ 50 times?

Is he still selling that old pony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Super-Rush wrote: »
    What record?
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Oh the one where he leads people to believe that he(Flair) has been WWF champ 50 times? Is he still selling that old pony?

Seems unnecessarily confrontational :confused:. Obviously the thing WWE have been pushing since 2001, Flair's 16 world title reigns that they recognise! They brought out a new tee about it and all. https://euroshop.wwe.com/en/ric-flair-16-time-legends-t-shirt/W10481.html

I've no doubt Cena will equal it and certain he'll beat it, probably end up at 20 (that is unless Triple H really wants it)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Seems unnecessarily confrontational :confused:. Obviously the thing WWE have been pushing since 2001, Flair's 16 world title reigns that they recognise! They brought out a new tee about it and all. https://euroshop.wwe.com/en/ric-flair-16-time-legends-t-shirt/W10481.html

I've no doubt Cena will equal it and certain he'll beat it, probably end up at 20 (that is unless Triple H really wants it)

I'm not being confrontational with anyone :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd be surprised if Cena doesn't main event Mania and win the title at it, and have that record breaking moment as a Wrestlemania Moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Cena doesn't main event Mania and win the title at it, and have that record breaking moment as a Wrestlemania Moment.

Convinced that the mania main evnt will be AJ vs cena in a career vs title match.

AJ in the mania main event would blow my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Flair seemed pleased at the result last night
    bakltiy2zjqx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

His 16 world title reigns are the 16 officially recognised by the NWA/WCW and WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Considering how close Hunter came to being the guy to beat it, I've absolutely no qualms with Cena being the guy to beat it. He's been a total pro for 15 years and they're lucky to have him.

They can make a decent angle out of him equalling it and another out of him beating it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It'll definitely happen. Cena has a few more years in him and I can't see him not being around the title scene.

Flair said on his podcast he'd love to be involved if it did happen. Would hate seeing Flair put in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,976 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bruno's record is more impressive than holding it 16 times. That means you lost it 17 times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Here's a list of what I think (copied from What Culture) are Flair's 16 recognised title wins:

NWA World Championship (1st NWA, 1st Overall) September 17, 1981 - June 10, 1983 - Lost to Harley Race

NWA World Heavyweight Championship (2nd NWA, 2nd Overall) November 24, 1983 - May 6, 1984 Lost to Kerry Von Erich

NWA World Championship (3rd NWA, 3rd Overall) May 24, 1984 - July 26, 1986 Lost to Dusty Rhodes

NWA World Championship (4th NWA, 4th Overall) August 9, 1986 - September 25, 1987 Lost to Ron Garvin

NWA World Championship (5th NWA, 5th Overall) November 26, 1987 - February 20, 1989 Lost to Ricky Steamboat

NWA World Championship (6th NWA, 6th Overall) May 7, 1989 - July 7, 1990 Lost to Sting

NWA World Heavyweight Championship/WCW World Championship (7th NWA, 1st WCW, 7th Overall) January 11, 1991 - July 1, 1991 (WCW)/January 11, 1991 - March 21, 1991, May 19, 1991 - September 8, 1991 (NWA)
    * NWA World Title lost to Tatsumi Fujinami March 21 1991 - WCW World Title Vacated July upon joining WWE ...
    This is one of the more confusing entries. As well as winning the NWA World title, WCW began recognising Flair as the WCW world champ. He lost the NWA title in March 1991 to Tatsumi Fujinami, but WCW didn't recognise that, so his WCW reign was uninterrupted to July, when Flair went to WWE. WWE recognises Fujinami's title win, but doesn't recognise Flair winning it back in May 1991.

So all in all this is recognised as one title reign, even though after this the WCW and NWA titles were seperate from each other.

WWE World Championship (1st WWE, 8th Overall) January 19, 1992 - April 5, 1992 Lost to Randy Savage

WWE Championship (2nd WWE, 9th Overall) September 1, 1992 - October 12, 1992 Lost to Bret Hart

NWA World Championship (8th NWA Championship, 10th Overall) July 18, 1993 - September 13, 1993 Vacated WCW leaves NWA

WCW World Championship (2nd WCW, 11th Overall) December 27, 1993 - July 17, 1994 Lost to Hulk Hogan

WCW World Championship (3rd WCW, 12th Overall) December 27, 1995 - January 22, 1996 Lost to Randy Savage

WCW World Championship (4th WCW, 13th Overall) February 11, 1996 - April 22, 1996 Lost to The Giant

WCW World Championship (6th WCW, 14th Overall) March 14, 1999 - April 11, 1999 Lost to Diamond Dallas Page

WCW World Championship (7th WCW, 15th Overall) May 15, 2000 - May 22, 2000 - Stripped by Vince Russo

WCW World Championship (8th WCW, 16th Overall) May 29, 2000 Kevin Nahs awards Ric Flair with title, loses it to Jeff Jarrett

Advertisement