Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring sterling home

• 10-10-2016 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Any advise appreciated....

I have savings in UK. I really didn't expect BRexit and therefore the drop in the pound. It earns next to no interest over there as I live in Ireland.

Wondering what people would advise? Take it back to Ireland and take the hit now. Wait a few years and hope that the pound strengthens? Other ideas were to invest in property just across the boarder here? I don't need access to it at the moment but I don't want it totally locked up either.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's going to be turbulent over the next 2.5 years. If it was me I would not go waiting for the pound to strengthen back to where it was pre Brexit, this may never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

It's a lottery. In the same boat.
    Have taken some back pre Brexit, but am struggling to reconcile in my head moving more at current rates. It's mentally draining trying to second guess the market, but ultimately the market is predicting a worsening situation for us both.

I'm hoping for a bit more volatility and if there is an upswing for what ever reason I will pounce then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Any advise appreciated....

I have savings in UK. I really didn't expect BRexit and therefore the drop in the pound. It earns next to no interest over there as I live in Ireland.

Wondering what people would advise? Take it back to Ireland and take the hit now. Wait a few years and hope that the pound strengthens? Other ideas were to invest in property just across the boarder here? I don't need access to it at the moment but I don't want it totally locked up either.

Thanks

I would hold, i am holding myself (live in UK though). I have Euro also and i intend to buy Sterling, i see this as an opportunity. Its volatile. It almost reached parity 8 or so years ago, then 15 months ago it was 1.43 to the pound.

A lot of things can happen between now and 2018.

Advertisement