Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy lawn fungus

Options
  • 10-10-2016 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Over the past couple of weeks when it's been dry during the day but colder and damp overnight, we've had some strange growths appear in patches on our lawn.

It's king of weird-looking, almost like cottage cheese and coloured off-white or yellowish and almost sits on top of the grass. I remember it appearing a couple of times last autumn too. At first we thought it looked like some kind of animal's vomit, but on closer inspection I think it's some kind of fungus, just very unusual and differently structured.

Sorry I don't have a picture - I'll try to get one next time it appears. It gets washed away with rain. If anyone knows what it is, I wondered if I should keep the kids away from it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dog vomit fungus? (this does actually exist).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Thanks - I'd say that's it exactly, from googling some pics. It's name couldn't be more apt!

Interestingly, it sounds like it's most common in decaying matter like wood mulch, tree stumps etc. so it doesn't say much for the state of my lawn that's it's appearing right in the middle of actively growing grass! We do live in the country with a row of old trees and hedge next to us, so I guess there are plenty of spores floating around and the mild & damp overnight weather has been ideal for slime molds like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is slime mould and does no harm. A fascinating organism actually: both a fungus and single celled animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

This is amazing. We have it in our garden and I genuinely thought it was after one of the neighbours dogs. Glad I held my fire!

Advertisement