Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk V Cork: This one is HUGE.

• 10-10-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

As you can tell from the title this game is absolutely massive for both teams and obviously deserves a thread of it's own. The best football team in the country take on the second best in what will probably go a long way in deciding who wins the league. Will it be three in a row for the best team this country has ever seen or can John 'Cautious' Caulfield finally step out of Stephen 'King' Kenny and deliver a league titles to the southerners.

So many subplots to this epic tussle. We have young Seanie Maguire coming back to Dundalk where he probably feels he wasn't given a chance. He's been Cork's main man this season and lately he's been scoring actual proper goals and not just penalties. We have the simmering tension between the benches where it is clear there is no love lost between the managers. There is also the fact that Cork have beaten Dundalk two and a half times this season having previously failed to beat the Champions in ten previous attempts.

Under Caulfield Cork have garnered a reputation as a strong solid outfit who tend to bottle it when the going gets tough. They have been quite clearly the second best side in the league for a couple of seasons now but signs of late seem to suggest that the Cork manager has loosened the shackles. Thirteen goals in their last three games and six wins and a draw in their last seven games show that maybe perhaps finally this team are ready.

Only one thing stands between them and the ultimate prize in domestic football. And unfortunately for Cork that one thing is a massive obstacle. Once again I shall say it. The best football side this country has ever seen. A beast wounded after defeat against Sligo on Saturday evening. A beast determined to ensure that all the joy they've brought to their fans will end up with something tangible ie the league and cup once more. For all the praise the Lilywhites have received this season the fact remains that there is a chance they could end the season empty handed. That cannot happen. We will not be beaten on our own (cabbage) patch.

For anybody not interested in league of ireland do yourselves a huge favour and give this game a chance. It is going to be a humdinger. Two very good sides given their all in front a packed Oriel Park. Any number of excellent technically gifted players on show. Huge prize at stake. A win for either side gives them a huge advantage in the race. A draw still leaves it wide open although Cork with the slightly easier run in may be the happier of the two should that come to pass.

Strap yourselves in, this is going to be tense. I cannot wait.

Who will win? 98 votes

Dundalk
    0%
    Draw
    43%
    SandShiverinEskimomcgovernMr.Nice GuygernonPigheadyermandanhomerjay2005NailzMonkeyTennisDuffSr. Pirotecnicdfx-gebbelRaoulSantryRedjustshaneredarmyFlawedGeniuscHaTbOx 43 votes
    Cork
    14%
    mada999sReq | uTeKNIMANclickhereDvBartanevillasimonwSM01rmchmufcscribaCrackletayto loverrebelomarOldMrBrennan83 14 votes
    No matter what the result Dundalk are still the true champions
    41%
    super_furrygimmickRoarapplehunterCrowdedHousegustafoBalmed Out[Deleted User]wandatowellGavin "shels"jaykay74pablomakaveliLuapSteelyDanJalapenoGavRedKingCHealytailgunnerdeisedudemajor billFerris_Bueller 41 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Can both teams lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Draw
    Interesting how Cork approach the game. Playing brillant attacking football but will they revert to a more defensive style.
    I think Horgan against a makeshift RB in Beattie will be a key battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Is this being moved to Tallaght as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Cork I think will win. The pitch just dosent suit Dundalk playing well. I think Cork will sit in and counter. If the game was played in Tallaght it would be a cracking game id say, two very good sides still should be decent in Oriel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Cork
    0-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Draw
    wadacrack wrote: »
    Cork I think will win. The pitch just dosent suit Dundalk playing well. I think Cork will sit in and counter. If the game was played in Tallaght it would be a cracking game id say, two very good sides still should be decent in Oriel.
    I refer the good gentleman to the league game against a very good Derry side a couple of weeks ago. We were fcuking brilliant. Although I agree that the pitch does not suit us to say we can't play well on it is just incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Draw
    Looking forward to this. Dundalk have been brilliant, they have lifted the profile of the domestic game and Cork have improved to keep pace with them. Cork have a chance given how many games Dundalk have been playing but I hope Dundalk win and get another crack at CL qualification next summer.

Pighead wrote: »
    I refer the good gentleman to the league game against a very good Derry side a couple of weeks ago. We were fcuking brilliant. Although I agree that the pitch does not suit us to say we can't play well on it is just incorrect.
    Dundalk have scored 34 goal away from home compared to 23 at home, Stephen Kenny admitted himself that they are better on grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Dundalk are bottling it big time. Just take loads of shots at Droppy Rogers McFlappy and City will win handy.

In all seriousness, I think a draw will do City as Dundalk are going to drop more points by season's end.

I think they'll win though.

2-0 City is my prediction.

Draw
    wadacrack wrote: »
    Dundalk have scored 34 goal away from home compared to 23 at home, Stephen Kenny admitted himself that they are better on grass
    Yes, I agree we are better on grass and as I said the ****e pitch doesn't suit us but to say we can't play well at home is just false. We played brilliantly as recently as two weeks ago against Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Draw
    Dundalk to win and give them that bit of breathing space to cope with this hectic fixture list IMO.

As well as Cork have done to keep the chase going, I think Dundalk are just a way better team than anyone in the league right now.

Draw
    Salty words from Caulfield.

'At one stage, we were 10 points adrift. Not many people thought it would, and some felt it won’t at all, and they thought it was all over and that the greatest team in the history of Ireland had the league all wrapped up.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Dundalk have been brilliant, they have lifted the profile of the domestic game and Cork have improved to keep pace with them. Cork have a chance given how many games Dundalk have been playing but I hope Dundalk win and get another crack at CL qualification next summer.

Dundalk have played 2 extra games than Cork since our first meeting in the "presidents cup"

Their will probably be some drama on the sidelines.The way John Caulfield Cork's manager conducts himself on the sideline is embarrassing, any decision that dosent go his way straight onto the 4th official

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its all set up very nicely. City in crazy goal scoring form, Dundalk are "tired".

So, Dundalk are going to win 1-0 :(

Tomorrows game is almost more about mentality that it is about fitness. Should someone win tomorrow night they will most likely go on to be champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Draw
    I reckon whoever scores first will win, it's a mental game at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

can John 'Cautious' Caulfield finally step out of Stephen 'King' Kenny .

I think Kenny would be happy enough with that.

Draw
    I think Kenny would be happy enough with that.
    Ha ha. Good spot. I'm so wound up with the excitement of this game that I may have missed a couple of words there.

Back on topic here's how I reckon Dundalk will line up tomorrow evening.

Rogers, Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey, Finn, O'Donnell, Mountney, McEleney, Horgan, McMillan.

Tough again on Shields but Kenny has tended to leave him out for teh bigger games this season. Keane is a possibility for right back instead of Gannon but it would be a huge call and maybe a little too risky in Kenny's mind.

Draw
    Ha ha. Good spot. I'm so wound up with the excitement of this game that I may have missed a couple of words there.

Back on topic here's how I reckon Dundalk will line up tomorrow evening.

Rogers, Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey, Finn, O'Donnell, Mountney, McEleney, Horgan, McMillan.

Tough again on Shields but Kenny has tended to leave him out for teh bigger games this season. Keane is a possibility for right back instead of Gannon but it would be a huge call and maybe a little too risky in Kenny's mind.
    I would start Shields instead of Mountney who is in poor form move McEleney to the Right. Might seem more defensive with Shields but he is also good going forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Dundalk should let Cork win the league, sure doesn't the winner of the EL get a champions league spot now anyway?

• Advertisement

Draw
    MD1990 wrote: »
    I would start Shields instead of Mountney who is in poor form move McEleney to the Right. Might seem more defensive with Shields but he is also good going forward too.
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Shields start either. Shields and O'Donnell as the two with Finn, McEleney and Horgan ahead of them. Doubt we'll see that though. Bolger against Shields could get very tasty in the middle if Chris does get the nod. I'd expect at least one of them to be sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Salty words from Caulfield.

'At one stage, we were 10 points adrift. Not many people thought it would, and some felt it won’t at all, and they thought it was all over and that the greatest team in the history of Ireland had the league all wrapped up.'

What a childish sentiment.

Draw
    Tomas Connolly chosen to referee this battle royale tomorrow evening. Hopefully he does his job properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lads is it on the box at all? I cant see it on eir sports.

Don't tell me again this isn't televised

EDIT: Nevermind its on RTE 2

Draw
    rob316 wrote: »
    Lads is it on the box at all? I cant see it on eir sports.

Don't tell me again this isn't televised
    It's on RTE 2 rob316. Get your Mammy to knit you a black and white scarf, get a few beers in, sit back and enjoy the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's on RTE 2 rob316. Get your Mammy to knit you a black and white scarf, get a few beers in, sit back and enjoy the show.

you got it wrong I'm the enemy pal :D

Draw
    rob316 wrote: »
    you got it wrong I'm the enemy pal :D
    It's not too late to turn your back on the dark side and walk towards the light. It's time to be brave and leave that helhole they call Cork. You can stay in my house until you get yourself sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Dundalk bottling it lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The best football team in the country take on the second best in what will probably go a long way in deciding who wins the league.

The best football team in the country who we've beaten 3 times this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It'll count for nothing if City dont win the league, thats the ultimate prize.

Although that being said, I dont think its over, no matter what the result tomorrow. Dundalk have a hectic schedule and have started to ship goals and look more vulnerable, City too have dropped points in games after Dundalk have slipped up.

Draw
    Are you denying that we are have so far been the best team on show this season? Open your eyes pablo. We are the champions and have been for the past two seasons. At this moment we are the best. Your team has a chance to wrestle that title from us tomorrow evening. Lets see if Cork are ready for this.

Draw
    Dundalk bottling it lately
    Yeah one defeat domestically since the beginning of August. Really bottling it alright. You're making a show of yourself here Lemmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tomas Connolly chosen to referee this battle royale tomorrow evening. Hopefully he does his job properly.

What like make sure the Dundalk players don't time waste and fall over nothing :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I've never been more confident about playing Dundalk as I am for tomorrow. Cork City will win 2 nil, 2 penalties from Mark McNulty in a bizarre turn of events.

Draw
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1010/822946-du/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

McEleney & Benson both out for Dundalk. 2 big blows for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have a feeling Cork are going to shade it tomorrow night. McEleney is a massive loss, Benson might not have started but with the two of them out they lose two very talented footballers and all of a sudden don't have as many options. It should be a cracker of a game I just hope both teams don't think a draw is a good result, if I was a supporter of either club I think I would take a draw.

Draw
    McEleney a loss alright. Injury makes sense as he was surprisingly ineffective the other night when he came on against Sligo. Looking like an O'Donnell, Shields, Mountney, Finn, Horgan, McMillan front 6. Meenan or Shields to come off the bench if we're chasing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

McEleney a loss alright. Injury makes sense as he was surprisingly ineffective the other night when he came on against Sligo. Looking like an O'Donnell, Shields, Mountney, Finn, Horgan, McMillan front 6. Meenan or Shields to come off the bench if we're chasing the game.

Wouldn't be bringing Meenan off the bench if yer chasing the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Should be a great game in fairness and very hard to call. The fact that I was pretty shocked that Dundalk didn't come back against Sligo the other night is testament to their lasting power and ability to rarely get beaten. We couldn't really be playing better at the moment so if we turn up and don't win it will be a sign of Champions certainly. I don't think it'll be decided tomorrow either way but we dare not lose it anyway. Gearoid 50/50 for tomorrow, hopefully he's passed fit and although Holohan played well the other night, the energy and quicker passing of Gearoid will be vital in the centre tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can't see Cork losing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Cork are playing much better football this season then the last few season. Midfield is certainly better than it was. Still a very tough match for them but I think this is their season for the league. Cork to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Draw
    This Dundalk team have delivered when it really matters and even with the injuries to McEleney and Benson, both super players, I think they will prevail tomorrow night.
    Cork City have improved as the season has gone on but may find the atmosphere in what will be jam packed Oriel Park too hot too handle.
    Hope its an entertaining game that does justice to the quality of both Teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Draw
    I think Cork will get at least a draw once Caulfield doesn't bottle it with his tactics.

Draw
    Wouldn't be bringing Meenan off the bench if yer chasing the game!
    I'm not Meenan''s biggest fan but in fairness to him he is capable of the odd bit of magic and his set piece delivery is second to none. We are very dangerous when attacking corners and whatever you may say about Meenan he sure as hell knows how to find Gartland''s head from a dead ball.

City better win.

I passed up watching Ireland Georgia and Ireland Moldova in the pub and saved my credit to watch this one in the local.

The down side to fatherhood, 2 years ago and I'd have been out for all 3, now I have to carefully store the credit...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cork have the momentum, if Caulfield ignores his inherent negativity and lets them loose then i can see them doing it.

Draw
    I think Dundalk will win. Have more big game experience & man for man are the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Draw
    MD1990 wrote: »
    I think Dundalk will win. Have more big game experience & man for man are the better team.

I think Benson and Patrick Mc are huge huge losses, and would of been key to unlocking corks defence and gaining control in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Draw
    I reckon Dundalk will win.
    The pressures on them to do it and every time this year they've delivered in the big games.
    Beating BATE 3-0 after being beaten the 1-0 the week before.
    Putting it up to Legia after being beaten.
    The draw in Alkmaar.

They just don't know when they are beaten.
    With the way the fixtures are Dundalk need to put a bit of daylight between themselves and Cork going into the run in.
    I fancy them to deliver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Draw
    SantryRed wrote: »
    I think Cork will get at least a draw once Caulfield doesn't bottle it with his tactics.

A draw is not a bad result for Cork which might be the downfall of Caulfield in his approach. I'd normally favour the side who benefits with the draw in these games, but Cork away from home are very hit and miss. Shields not playing would be a big boost for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement