Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk V Cork: This one is HUGE.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Draw
    Hopefully this match will be streamed for us abroad :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I get the feeling that both sets of fans are really worried about this game. Dundalk, as they're coming off the back of a heavy defeat, and us (City) as we are masters at failing to deliver. Form says us, most will say Dundalk. It's impossible to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Cork
    Get the feeling Dundalk took their eye off the Sligo game as they were staring this one square in the face, hence the hiding they got.

On that basis & this being the game they've clearly indicated as their 'biggie' (& correctly so to be fair) I expect Dundalk to win, 1 or 2 nil. Can't see Cork scoring, can see a repeat of the last showdown between the sides in Oriel that finished 2-0.

That pitch is a mess & may hamper Dundalk, who do appear better suited to a real grass pitch, but its still an advantage to them on the basis they know it better than any of their opponents, this has to help.

With a view to keeping life in the run in I hope Cork get a result, but if Dundalk win I think its all over bar the shouting as I cant see Dundalk taking their eye off the ball to such an extent as in the Sligo game again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No matter what the result Dundalk are still the true champions
    DvB wrote: »
    Get the feeling Dundalk took their eye off the Sligo game as they were staring this one square in the face, hence the hiding they got.

On that basis & this being the game they've clearly indicated as their 'biggie' (& correctly so to be fair) I expect Dundalk to win, 1 or 2 nil. Can't see Cork scoring, can see a repeat of the last showdown between the sides in Oriel that finished 2-0.

That pitch is a mess & may hamper Dundalk, who do appear better suited to a real grass pitch, but its still an advantage to them on the basis they know it better than any of their opponents, this has to help.

With a view to keeping life in the run in I hope Cork get a result, but if Dundalk win I think its all over bar the shouting as I cant see Dundalk taking their eye off the ball to such an extent as in the Sligo game again.

Last meeting finished 0-1 City.

What I would give to see a repeat of that tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Dundalk taking their eye off the ball to such an extent as in the Sligo game again.
    No chance then that the mighty Dundalk were simply outplayed?

Cork
    gimmick wrote: »
    Last meeting finished 0-1 City.

What I would give to see a repeat of that tonight.

That was this season, I was referring to the title decider 'showdown' game that Dundalk won 2-0...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That was this season, I was referring to the title decider 'showdown' game that Dundalk won 2-0...

That was 2014, I think Caulfield was a victim of his own success that season given it was his first as a LOI manager. No one expected us to be 40 minutes away from a league title. Last season was a bust, too many straglers like Billy Dennehy and his sister. I think we are much better equipped this season to deal with a game of this importance.

Cork
    CHealy wrote: »
    That was 2014, I think Caulfield was a victim of his own success that season given it was his first as a LOI manager. No one expected us to be 40 minutes away from a league title. Last season was a bust, too many straglers like Billy Dennehy and his sister. I think we are much better equipped this season to deal with a game of this importance.

I'd agree with that, Cork look a much better & balanced team this year.

Cork have actually impressed me more than Dundalk have in our games against them both & IMO would be worthy champions if they finish top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Only one cork player would get in the Dundalk XI, Maguire upfront id say on form. But he was their last year for half a season and couldnt get a game.If Dundalk play at their best level they win

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Only one cork player would get in the Dundalk XI, Maguire upfront id say on form. But he was their last year for half a season and couldnt get a game.If Dundalk play at their best level they win
    That's a pretty biased view. Bennett, Bolger, O'Connor would surely be in there, plus any one of our 11 would get a game on goal for you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Draw
    That's a pretty biased view. Bennett, Bolger, O'Connor would surely be in there, plus any one of our 11 would get a game on goal for you! :D
    None of the 3 you mentioned would make the Dundalk team. Not even Bolger.

MD1990 wrote: »
    None of the 3 you mentioned would make the Dundalk team. Not even Bolger.
    It would be a poor manager to leave out the best defender from the best defence in the league.

I'm not sure who would keep Bolger out of the team. Maybe Stevie Sideways that got overrun by Sligo?

O'Connor isn't even a debate. Starting with the Irish U-21's and been a crucial player for us that has helped keep us to within 1 point of the mighty Dundalk.

A reality check is required at Oriel I feel.

It would be a poor manager to leave out the best defender from the best defence in the league.

I'm not sure who would keep Bolger out of the team. Maybe Stevie Sideways that got overrun by Sligo?

O'Connor isn't even a debate. Starting with the Irish U-21's and been a crucial player for us that has helped keep us to within 1 point of the mighty Dundalk.

Im neutral, but Bennett ahead of Boyle or Gartland no. Massey is better than O'Connor aswell. O'Donnell has been exceptional for Dundalk in Europe a level Bolger has never reached. He was poor against Genk in turners Cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Draw

Stevie Sideways! What a ridiculous post. O'Donnell has been the most influential midfielder in the best team in the country. The heartbeat of this brilliant team. Comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Im neutral, but Bennett ahead of Boyle or Gartland no. Massey is better than O'Connor aswell. O'Donnell has been exceptional for Dundalk in Europe a level Bolger has never reached. He was poor against Genk in turners Cross

He was injured against Genk in Turners Cross and played through the pain.

O'Connor is the best full back in the league by a mile, he's been exceptional for City and I doubt very much he'll be a league of Ireland player next year - it'll be next to impossible for City to hold on to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Any Dundalk fan give me good odds on O'Donnell being sent off?

Cork

Nah, he'll make enough fouls to warrant one, not get one & then be named MOTM...

doubt he will have to make a challenge, Cork will play hoofball

Im starting to get the impression you dont like Cork City much wadacrack.................

Draw
    I'd say it would be more lucrative for you if you chased decent odds for Bolger to see red. Has to be the most booked player in the league over the last few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Neutral he said. Last few pages don't lay claim to that.

I think Cork are a decent side and yea do play decent football but Dundalk are a level above them imo.

I think Cork are a decent side and yea do play decent football but Dundalk are a level above them imo.

Who do you follow?

Draw
    Give the lad a break. He's been wooed by Dundalk's spellbinding brand of football. Not too hard to believe that he is not one of the thousands of neutrals who have falling in love with the Lilywhites over the past couple of seasons.

The whole 'No City player would get in the Dundalk team' is a very general, overall thing to say rather than based on this season. I fully expect O'Connor to be named in the team of the year. Benno and Browne would have to be considered very close or equal to Dundalk's pairing this season. It's all opinionated of course but the easy dismissal of 'No City player etc' is inaccurate for this season imo.

Draw
    McNulty would for sure, anyone else might but wouldn't be guaranteed starters.

What do Dundlk fans think about Cawley saying that Rogers could be dropped for tonight? I wouldn't have thought that would be a possibility despite his recent mistakes, or has he played poorer than just those?

Draw
    Sava is a good keeper so if he does play I wouldn't be too worried.

Draw
    justshane wrote: »
    McNulty would for sure, anyone else might but wouldn't be guaranteed starters.
    Don't know about that. Do a search for McNulty in the soccer forum and you'll find loads of posts from Cork fans giving out about his regular fcuk ups. Truth is that both keepers are sketchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Draw
    Working nights so missing this. Are Eir showing it?

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Working nights so missing this. Are Eir showing it?
    Rte

Pighead wrote: »
    I'd say it would be more lucrative for you if you chased decent odds for Bolger to see red. Has to be the most booked player in the league over the last few seasons.
    Craig Roddan must be catching that record and he's only in his first season. At least our captain will win something.

Don't know about that. Do a search for McNulty in the soccer forum and you'll find loads of posts from Cork fans giving out about his regular fcuk ups. Truth is that both keepers are sketchy.

He does have his moments but they are usually just poor kick outs. He's otherwise been very consistent the last 3 or 4 seasons and broke the clubs clean sheet record the other night with 19 games in a season without conceding.

Draw
    Corholio wrote: »
    He does have his moments but they are usually just poor kick outs. He's otherwise been very consistent the last 3 or 4 seasons and broke the clubs clean sheet record the other night with 19 games in a season without conceding.
    I haven't heard his name mentioned too much this season to be fair. Hopefully he has a relapse this evening.

I haven't heard his name mentioned too much this season to be fair. Hopefully he has a relapse this evening.

The general rule of thumb is that he'll have one moment of madness per game, but his overall keeping more than makes up for it. 19 clean sheets breaks the club record, and to be fair is pretty incredible.

Draw
    Current weather conditions in Dundalk: Raining.
    Current mood: Optimistic.
    Current prediction. 2-1 home victory for the good guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Current mood : Nervous
    Prediction : City to absolutely batter Dundalk. But Dundalk to weather it and sneak a late winner. 1-0

Of course, I am never known for my positivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Draw
    CHealy wrote: »
    The general rule of thumb is that he'll have one moment of madness per game, but his overall keeping more than makes up for it. 19 clean sheets breaks the club record, and to be fair is pretty incredible.

But is that due to the defence? He really doesn't get a lot of work.

Raoul wrote: »
    But is that due to the defence? He really doesn't get a lot of work.

Absolutely, but to be fair to McNulty, every now and then he'll make a save and I'll wonder how on a physics level it was possible. But world class saves sometimes makes way for schoolboy errors. Think he's coming to the end of his time anyway, we have Eric Grimes with us now and he didnt sign from Leeds just to sit on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I don't really understand the abuse Nults gets at times. There are some at Turner's Cross who seem delighted when he does make a fcuk up, just so they can scream "witty" abuse at him :mad:

Over the years he's made the odd blunder, naturally, just as every other goalie does. I'd say he's gained us many more points than he's cost us though. I'd be far more worried about Rodgers if I was a Dundalk fan.

I'm absolutely hyped up at this stage. Can't wait for the game to start. I'm in such a positive frame of mind that I'm confident of getting all three points tonight. I've never seen City playing as well as they have over the past few weeks. Oh God, I wish I could be in Oriel tonight!

Prediction: Dundalk 1-2 CITY :D

Draw
    The talking is done. The langers are almost here. To slightly paraphrase the great Dwight Eisenhower.

We are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon us. The hopes and prayers of football-loving people everywhere march with us. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms, we will bring about the destruction of the Cork war machine.

Let's do this.

image.jpg

inpho_01017789.jpg

Rogers dropped indeed. Interesting. No Gannon either, injured?

Shame Gearoid doesn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Dropping the goalkeeper from a side that couldn't score versus Sligo is panic in my eyes. 2-0 City. Maguire with both to rub in their non-belief in him. Cmon the Rebel Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

The pulse is quickening for the biggest game in the history if Irish sport. Who will triumph, the diesel thieves or the people that cannot understand the difference between let and leave.
    I, personally, hope that football is the real winner here. Football and cork.

Draw
    Anyone able to pm me a link please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Cork
    This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Hopefully a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Draw

RTE Player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Me too please

Draw
    Duff wrote: »
    RTE Player?

Thanks but Im abroad, getting stressed now, can't find a link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement