Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk V Cork: This one is HUGE.

Comments

No matter what the result Dundalk are still the true champions
    Are you saying Browne looks 2 stone overweight, Shane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Chasing a game. Bring on 45 year old defender. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Are you saying Browne looks 2 stone overweight, Shane?

6 stone overweight by my counting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

The way the city defenders stood off horgan for the 2 nd goal was criminal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Draw
    GET IN!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Cmere will ye ever do up that kip of a stadium .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Oriel is absolutely rocking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah well. Just didn't have that bit of nuance around the box in the second half, couldn't really get Seanie into the game at all. Dundalk deserved it. Frustrating to watch a big game like that on the pitch though, both teams should be back and forth attacking each other but the hold up and bounce on that pitch makes it impossible.

Just have to win all the games now and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Draw
    Couldn't even hear Finn being interviewed!

Another big game and another flat performance from City. That was as comfortable a 2-1 win as you will ever see.

Dundalk can start popping the bubbles for 3 in a row now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cork
    Thoroughly deserved win for Dundalk.
    Now for Rovers on Fri.
    Plenty of sleep and relaxation needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Cracking match. Horgan really was the difference tonight. Keane also had a good match for Dundalk. Cork's midfield let them down somewhat this evening didn't really get into the match at all. Bolger was lucky to stay on the pitch for the full 90.

Credit where it's due, Stuey Byrne has great hair.

As for City, disappointed at the lack of fight after the goal back. Should really have been a signal to go up a gear, but they played like a team that thought they scored an equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Dundalk deserved winners. No complaints. City were dreadful. Probably Bolger's worst ever game in a City shirt, but then again everyone else was poor too.

Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

City were disappointing. 2 or 3 nil wouldn't have flattered Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Draw
    Not a classic, both sides have played much much better this season but an intensely fought game. Dundalk deserved their win but this season is far from over and every game both Dundalk and Cork City play between now and the end of the season will be effectively a mini cup final. Great atmosphere and good to see Oriel Park nearly full, they need to rip up that awful pitch asap.

Great might in Oriel. **** the haters, I love the dank. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Draw
    6 stone overweight by my counting.

Brilliant :D Not sure what happened to my one post ha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Draw
    That was easy!

Cork bottle it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Draw
    Great win for Dundalk. Keane was superb. Cork were very poor. Another home game vs Rovers for Dundalk friday.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Draw
    Match deserved a better refereeing performance. Both sides had legitimate complaints about not playing advantage. The pen, the lack of a second yellow for Bolger, the giving of soft yellows and all round fussiness did an otherwise-intriguing match a disservice.

The intensity from both sides first half was very impressive. Faded second half but as good an advertisement for the league as you could hope for. Thankfully, even though the heart-rate was up for most of the second half it rarely looked in doubt once Dundalk got the first. Cork had no answers really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Draw
    I didn't think Cork were that poor. Thought they played some decent football in the first half. Ref was awful. It was definitely a pen in the first half. Bolger should have gotten red (Bolger hates playing against Dundalk, always a danger to get sent off). I thought Dundalk should have had a pen for a trip on Finn as he was about to shoot. And one more pen for Dundalk when Gartland was hauled down in the box on a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Dreadful performance by the ref tonight. I doubt either team were happy with him, although he should get a Chritsmas card from Bolger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Draw
    Pighead wrote: »
    Current weather conditions in Dundalk: Raining.
    Current mood: Optimistic.
    Current prediction. 2-1 home victory for the good guys.
    Current weather conditions in Dundalk: Beautiful.
    Current mood: Ecstatic.
    Current prediction. We're gonna win the league.

More Heart
    More Organised
    More Resilient
    More Gifted
    More Adventourous
    More Noble

What a team. When the big games come around this team are never found wanting. The 40 odd people who thought Cork would come into our back yard and loosen our grip on the title,hang your heads.

Not a vintage performance but we did enough. Keane, Gartland (Poor Seanie didn't get a sniff all night) and Finn outstanding. Horgan although quieter than usual still managed to take our breath away with that second goal. League is obviously still very much up for grabs but that was huge tonight. Gotta love this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Draw
    I thought Sava looked very assured. Not much to do but he was very quick off his line when Maquire was nearly in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Draw
    MD1990 wrote: »
    I thought Sava looked very assured. Not much to do but he was very quick off his line when Maquire was nearly in.

He displayed excellent awareness throughout. Something that you could maybe level at Rogers lately was a little bit of hesitancy. Sava was alive and on his toes throughout. Assured under the high ball too.

As you highlighted - he was the only one alive to Maguire for that through-ball. The back four were praying for a flag that wasn't coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Went missing last night. Awful performance, bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That was easy!

Cork bottle it again

Classy as always, are you going to copy and paste that over onto the CCFC Forum aswell where you'v popped up in the last few days?

No complaints this side, Cork City were muck, too many big name players gone missing, Gartland had a field day with Maguire in his pocket. Bolger, Dooley, Holohan all not up to it, and Mark McNulty again showing why he wont be City No.1 next season.

We are still 2-1 up on Dundalk on wins this season, I'd have bitten your hand off for that at the start, but once again its the most important game where we come up short. But as I've said before, this league wasnt lost last night, its the home games against Sligo and Bohs a couple of months ago where we only got 1 point after Dundalk dropping 6 is where this league finished.

Not sure how Dundalk fans can say Cork City bottled it when we havnt topped the league in about 2 years. We are the only team attempting to put a challenge upto them but we are very much so a chasing team, not sure how we can "bottle" that but anyway.

Can't see Dundalk dropping 4 points, theyre confidence will be sky high after last night, but for the football fan in me, c'mon to fcuk Shamrock Rovers on Friday night.

EDIT: And just as a last point, how Dundalk didnt get a penalty and how Bolger wasnt sent off is beyond me. It was the most blatant second yellow card Iv ever seen. Again, no complaints here, Dundalk deserved all three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Draw
    Deserved win for Dundalk but they have a few tough fixtures to go yet.

• Advertisement

Draw
    CHealy wrote: »
    Not sure how Dundalk fans can say Cork City bottled it when we havnt topped the league in about 2 years. We are the only team attempting to put a challenge upto them but we are very much so a chasing team, not sure how we can "bottle" that but anyway.
    What's your definition of them term 'bottled it'? For me it would be a person or team who are on their verge of winning, failing to do so because of their inability to reach their best levels in the crunch games.

You may say that you are a chasing team but the facts are you've had chances to win two leagues and a cup against us now during one off games and have failed to produce your best each and every time.

Personally I think the term 'bottled it' is way over used in sport these days but Cork are amassing a body of work which suggests they freeze under the big lights when the pressure is well and truly on. Also, from reading the thread it would appear that there are more Cork than Dundalk fans suggesting your boys 'bottled it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Pighead wrote: »
    What's your definition of them term 'bottled it'? For me it would be a person or team who are on their verge of winning, failing to do so because of their inability to reach their best levels in the crunch games.

You may say that you are a chasing team but the facts are you've had chances to win two leagues and a cup against us now during one off games and have failed to produce your best each and every time.

Personally I think the term 'bottled it' is way over used in sport these days but Cork are amassing a body of work which suggests they freeze under the big lights when the pressure is well and truly on. Also, from reading the thread it would appear that there are more Cork than Dundalk fans suggesting your boys 'bottled it'.

Id put Cork City fans into that bracket aswell. Dundalk are a much better team, it was a stroll in the park for them last night even when we got the one back, dont think we had another chance after that? How can we bottle it against a side who has been much better than us for three years? Dundalk win the big games because they are better, not because Cork City bottled it.

Draw
    Id put Cork City fans into that bracket aswell. Dundalk are a much better team, it was a stroll in the park for them last night even when we got the one back, dont think we had another chance after that? How can we bottle it against a side who has been much better than us for three years? Dundalk win the big games because they are better, not because Cork City bottled it.
    Cork beat us three times already this season. It's too easy to say Dundalk are better and that's why we won. Your team dropped their levels of performance yet again last night in a big game.

We are not 'much better'. There is not much between the sides. Cork are a very good team. You are close. Difference in these big games comes down to heart and Dundalk just showed a bit more yet again last night.

Every opportunity we have had this season to go top has been left behind. Thats the very definition of bottling imo.

Like everyone else, no complaints. As comfortable a 2-1 you will ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I don't understand the "bottling it" term tbh, does that mean that City are actually better than Dundalk but just didn't show up?

Cause that's what yer saying.

I don't understand the "bottling it" term tbh, does that mean that City are actually better than Dundalk but just didn't show up?

Cause that's what yer saying.

That was not the best CCFC on show last night. Too many players went missing. The manager made bad substitutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

gimmick wrote: »
    That was not the best CCFC on show last night. Too many players went missing. The manager made bad substitutions.

Right, but what I'm getting at is Dundalk are a better side, you cant bottle it against a better side

But there really isn't a huge difference between the teams. We had beaten them 3 times in the last 7 months. But when the pressure was really applied last night, Dundalk stood up while our lot were still snoozing on the bus.

The biggest difference between these 2 sides is attitude and mentality.

gimmick wrote: »

The biggest difference between these 2 sides is attitude and mentality.

The biggest difference between these 2 sides is the managers.

Draw
    Sept 20th: we drew 1-1 with Shamrock Rovers. Next game out Cork fail to capitalise and draw 0-0 away with Sligo.

August 10th: We lose 2-1 away to Bray. Next game out Cork fail to capitalise and draw 0-0 at home with Bohs.

August 5th: We lose 1-0 away to Galway. Next game out Cork fail to capitalise and lose 2-1 at home to Sligo.

April 1st: We draw 1-1 at home to Derry. Next game out Cork fail to capitalise and draw 0-0 away to Sligo.

Apart from the games where Cork beat us the above are literally all the games where we've dropped points this season. EVERY SINGLE TIME Cork had a chance to punish us and failed to do so. You can argue that Dundalk are a better side then Cork but you cannot argue that you shouldn't be beating the likes of Sligo and Bohs when there is so much at stake.

And that's just this season. I'm pretty sure there are plenty more examples from the previous two seasons where Cork failed to take the bull by the horns and punish Dundalk.

CHealy says that Cork can't be accused of bottling it as they have always been the chasing team and have never been top of the league. But here's the thing, the reason Cork are always chasing and never top is because they fail time and time again to take their chances when it matters.

The biggest difference between these 2 sides is the managers.

I don't disagree with that. It doesn't void my point either though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's almost Shels-like in the Bottlement Stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nah, we bottled it last night

Nah, we bottled it last night

You know your team better than I do, but I'm not sure they deserve to be called bottlers.

Dundalk played with an intensity that Cork don't experience very often. I thought Cork struggled with the pace and intensity of the game. Dundalk's plan was to get them hoofing the ball and the ever dependable Caulfield did just that.

It is very hard to go from playing the likes of a disinterested Galway side to playing at this level. The pace of that game was way beyond a normal LOI fixture. Dundalk have played against high level opposition in the Europa League recently and that told last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Draw
    Classy as always, are you going to copy and paste that over onto the CCFC Forum aswell where you'v popped up in the last few days?

No complaints this side, Cork City were muck, too many big name players gone missing, Gartland had a field day with Maguire in his pocket. Bolger, Dooley, Holohan all not up to it, and Mark McNulty again showing why he wont be City No.1 next season.

We are still 2-1 up on Dundalk on wins this season, I'd have bitten your hand off for that at the start, but once again its the most important game where we come up short. But as I've said before, this league wasnt lost last night, its the home games against Sligo and Bohs a couple of months ago where we only got 1 point after Dundalk dropping 6 is where this league finished.

Can't see Dundalk dropping 4 points, theyre confidence will be sky high after last night, but for the football fan in me, c'mon to fcuk Shamrock Rovers on Friday night.

Class

EDIT: And just as a last point, how Dundalk didnt get a penalty and how Bolger wasnt sent off is beyond me. It was the most blatant second yellow card Iv ever seen. Again, no complaints here, Dundalk deserved all three points.

Refreshing honesty re the penalty and sending off.

Draw
    justshane wrote: »
    Refreshing honesty re the penalty and sending off.

Which one? Should have been a few :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same old ding dong. Disgusted I was, Dundalk weren't even that good but they just wanted it more. They cut through us time and time again on the counter, Horgan is a special player but why was he allowed to run from the halfway line and smash one in?

McNulty should of have saved that free kick, he was really poor for that.

Bolger was awful and rightly should of seen a second yellow.

The final in a few weeks time will be the same, this side just cant rise to the occasion.

We will finish a few points off Dundalk but it might aswell be 20, as a team we are a million miles off them still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Draw
    Dundalk last 5: Rovers (a), Longford (a), (Zenit h in between), Bohs (h), Pats (a), Galway (h)
    Cork last 5: Harps (h), Pats (a), Pats (h), Wexford (h), Bray (a)

I think a win for Dundalk this Friday would probably be enough to think Cork couldn't catch them. You'd have to expect 6 points guaranteed from Longford and Galway games and then probably another 3 from Bohs (h) that would be enough. Cork really can't afford to slip up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Cork
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Dundalk last 5: Rovers (a), Longford (a), (Zenit h in between), Bohs (h), Pats (a), Galway (h)
    Cork last 5: Harps (h), Pats (a), Pats (h), Wexford (h), Bray (a)

I think a win for Dundalk this Friday would probably be enough to think Cork couldn't catch them. You'd have to expect 6 points guaranteed from Longford and Galway games and then probably another 3 from Bohs (h) that would be enough. Cork really can't afford to slip up again.

Cant see Dundalk dropping any points there unless the title is mathematically wrapped up early & they start resting players or suchlike for the cup games.

Funnily enough can see Cork dropping points in their remaining games though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Cork
    This post has been deleted.

Draw
    DvB wrote: »
    Cant see Dundalk dropping any points there unless the title is mathematically wrapped up early & they start resting players or suchlike for the cup games.

Funnily enough can see Cork dropping points in their remaining games though.

Yeah but look at how tight the fixture list is. I can see us resting a couple of players for the Zenit game actually. Hopefully Cork lose a match before then and it eases the pressure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement