Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk V Cork: This one is HUGE.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

No matter what the result Dundalk are still the true champions
    rob316 wrote: »
    Same old ding dong. Disgusted I was, Dundalk weren't even that good but they just wanted it more. They cut through us time and time again on the counter, Horgan is a special player but why was he allowed to run from the halfway line and smash one in?

McNulty should of have saved that free kick, he was really poor for that.

Bolger was awful and rightly should of seen a second yellow.

The final in a few weeks time will be the same, this side just cant rise to the occasion.

We will finish a few points off Dundalk but it might aswell be 20, as a team we are a million miles off them still.

Can't argue with much of that. I thought we were OK, just that Dundalk were that bit better.

I'd normally be a big fan of McNulty, but I do think he should have saved the free kick. Bolger wasn't great last night but he's been immense for us all season overall. (I can't believe he didn't get a second yellow either.)

I think the final will be a different matter. We've improved massively as a team since last year's final and the flight back from Russia will surely harm Dundalk's chances. I also wonder if City's players had mentally written off the league a few weeks ago, while still believing the cup was a much more realistic prospect.

We've made a great effort at closing the gap on Dundalk this year, but there can be no denying that they are still the best team in the country. Assuming we keep the team pretty much intact for next year, I think we will continue to improve, and possibly close the gap on Dundalk altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah but look at how tight the fixture list is. I can see us resting a couple of players for the Zenit game actually. Hopefully Cork lose a match before then and it eases the pressure.

Would this actually happen? If I was Horgan/McMillan/Finn etc, theres not a hope in hell Id agree to be rested for a Europa League group game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I'd normally be a big fan of McNulty, but I do think he should have saved the free kick. Bolger wasn't great last night but he's been immense for us all season overall. (I can't believe he didn't get a second yellow either.)

I thought he was unlucky.

He would have saved the free kick if it was a couple of inches under the cross bar.

He can't be faulted for the ball bouncing off the cross bar and hitting his back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Draw
    O'Connor at LB was poor Mountney had an edge in pace on him. He played 90 mins on Friday for Ireland u21's against an excellent Serbia team & then another 90 mins saturday vs Cork despite Cork being 3 up after 20 mins. Very poor management from Caulfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Draw
    I thought he was unlucky.

He would have saved the free kick if it was a couple of inches under the cross bar.

He can't be faulted for the ball bouncing off the cross bar and hitting his back.

There was no need for him to go diving across the goal spectacularly as he did. He could have moved his feet more before the dive, allowing him to push it over the bar. All you have to see is the weird way he landed to show it wasn't a polished dive so to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

O'Connor's lack of pace will probably stop him from playing at a higher level. Have seen him for Ireland's u21 and he has looked the weak link, struggles to deal with the pace of players at that level. Not convince by him at all. I see Dylan Connolly as the outstanding young player in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Draw
    CHealy wrote: »
    Would this actually happen? If I was Horgan/McMillan/Finn etc, theres not a hope in hell Id agree to be rested for a Europa League group game.

Yeah like you don't want McEleney out killing himself again for a game where we will most likely lose (I hope not) or Gannon either, Keane might start. But it depends on how the next couple of league games go though. We might be able to give them a rest in the league games.

I think you are all being very harsh on McNulty to think he should have saved that. If it was an inch lower, it was going in but he would have pulled off an incredible save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think you are all being very harsh on McNulty to think he should have saved that. If it was an inch lower, it was going in but he would have pulled off an incredible save.

I think he was just really unlucky. He had it covered as it came in. Dont think he could have done anything with the rebound off the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cork
    Cork are not "bottlers" as you can't bottle it against a better team.
    Cork are clearly the second best team in the league too.
    Friday is a massive game away to Rovers. If we win that then we will have taken a massive further step towards the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

On paper, Friday is our most difficult remaining game. Get 3 points there and I reckon we are home and dry.

Cork
    On paper, Friday is our most difficult remaining game. Get 3 points there and I reckon we are home and dry.

Yeah ??? Last Friday's game was supposed to be easy. There are NO easy games.

We didn't play anyone on Friday. ;-)

I know nothing is in the bag yet but it's very hard to see us throw it away if beating Rovers on Friday.

Cork
    We didn't play anyone on Friday. ;-)

I know nothing is in the bag yet but it's very hard to see us throw it away if beating Rovers on Friday.

Really? We struggled to beat Longford at home 4 - 3 so why do you think we will have it handy against them away? Seriously there are no easy games and teams will be up for the chance to beat the Champs.

Saturday and the ruthlessness of Kenny in dropping people like Rogers and Gannon last night will well and truly have gotten any complacency out of the system.

Beat Rovers on Friday and we will not be getting complacent against Longford the same way we did with Sligo.

Cork
    Saturday and the ruthlessness of Kenny in dropping people like Rogers and Gannon last night will well and truly have gotten any complacency out of the system.

Beat Rovers on Friday and we will not be getting complacent against Longford the same way we did with Sligo.
    Hopefully it will go that way BUT I for one won't believe that we will have it easy. We also play Galway who beat us earlier in the season and who we always seem to struggle against.

• Advertisement

Draw

Injured not dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Draw
    Injured not dropped.

It will be intresting to see does he go straight back into the side when fit again, Keane was exceptional against City.

I stand corrected, I assumed he'd been dropped. Although it was pretty convenient for Kenny be able to give Keane a start alright...

Draw
    justshane wrote: »
    It will be intresting to see does he go straight back into the side when fit again, Keane was exceptional against City.

He was good but didn't add as much to the attack as Gannon would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Draw
    Good interview with Daryl Horgan on off the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement